Thread: Resting & reclining... page

lordgrover is offline Member

Resting & reclining...

We're told that the 'traditional' chair, sofa, furniture in general is not the best. For example we're encouraged to set up a standing workstation so we can work standing which is better for our posture etc. Same for walking, either barefoot or 'heel-less'.

What about resting and relaxing?
    I've seen that the 'Asian' squat is better than the 'Western' squat but even so, that's not something we're expected to do for hours on end, surely?

Are those kneeling stools better or worse? Sit, lie, recline, slouch on the floor? With cushions?

Please don't tell me to go out and spend thrunty-gazillion bucks on new ortho/osteo/ergo/green furniture.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    -Sit on the floor.
    -Lean against stuff.
    -"Perch" on chairs and stools. Most recommend sitting with your back straight against the back of the chair and your bum right back. The BEST way to avoid slouching is not to have comfy, soft back support to begin with and encourage your muscles to stay tense to hold you up!
    -Fidget. It keeps bloodlfow going, plus, when you fidget you're more likely to notice cramps than if you stay perfectly still.
    -Get up and move around. Don't stay 100% still 100% of the time. An hour sitting = ten minutes up and about. Keep active.
    -Lie on the ground or on a blanket on the ground.
    -Stay in comfortable positions, move out of uncomfortable ones. Your body knows what's good for it and will tell you if you're hurting it!

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Personally I say just do whatever. I'm not going to be a nutter and and squat all the time or stand everywhere I go. Man may not have a chair or couch growing out of his backside, but by the gods I'm going to use one.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

mark h is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    -Sit on the floor.
    -Lean against stuff.
    -"Perch" on chairs and stools. Most recommend sitting with your back straight against the back of the chair and your bum right back. The BEST way to avoid slouching is not to have comfy, soft back support to begin with and encourage your muscles to stay tense to hold you up!
    -Fidget. It keeps bloodlfow going, plus, when you fidget you're more likely to notice cramps than if you stay perfectly still.
    -Get up and move around. Don't stay 100% still 100% of the time. An hour sitting = ten minutes up and about. Keep active.
    -Lie on the ground or on a blanket on the ground.
    -Stay in comfortable positions, move out of uncomfortable ones. Your body knows what's good for it and will tell you if you're hurting it!
    I agree. Before I injured my back I worked on posture but not all the time. Now I stand most of the time. I feel it helping a lot.
    Keep it going, Mark

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I'm not giving up my leather lazy boy recliner, and don't show up here trying to take it from me!!!

richard is offline Senior Member
    I have a stand up desk, and I sleep sitting up which is very healthy. Lying down is not.

mark h is offline Junior Member
    I have tried sleeping sitting up but could not get it to work. Then I read something about sleeping lying down is healthier so I stopped trying.
    Keep it going, Mark

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Since I've read about how unhealthy sitting is supposed to be, I usually stand or lay down (I'm standing now!), but on my days off I do sit in the computer chair a lot.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Anyone have one of those HUGE beanbag chairs? Around here, there is a brand called LoveSac (I know, but what can you do? That's the name.) that looks like a beanbag chair for Hagrid. Seriously huge. I tried it out in the store, and it was extremely comfortable for sitting and lounging, but it does not fit my livingroom style(yes, looks over function, very CW of me). But I still think about it sometimes.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mark h View Post
    I have tried sleeping sitting up but could not get it to work. Then I read something about sleeping lying down is healthier so I stopped trying.
    when you lie down, you start to hyperventilate. You breathe deeper. That is not healthy. When people are really sick they can't even lie down at all, but must sit up. Thing is, supposedly healthy people are far better off sitting up when sleeping because they don't hyperventilate nearly as much this way. I sleep in a recliner chair that is slightly reclined and feet elevated.

Sleeping sitting up is actually what I believe we are designed to do. And I think we are designed to sleep not 8 hours, but more like 3 and 3, with a period of peaceful study, spending time with loved ones and quiet in between.

Anyway, I am seeing how much exercise standing is all day -- a lot! So it is helping me get consistent exercise. When I walk or run I feel a lot more fit just from the standing around.