Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of strengh training ideas page

fragileknees is offline Member

In need of strengh training ideas

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am looking to mix up my strength training. I am tired of the usual squats, lunges, push-ups, assited pull-ups, etc. How do you "lift heavy things"? Know of any good resources (websites, books, etc.)?

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    Are you looking to join a gym? Or just do body-weight, gym free workouts?

I go to the gym for strength training and enjoy both body weight and weighted workouts.

Here is my last week to give you some idea of where I am coming from.

Mon: squats, push-ups, lunges, planks, balance work on bosu
    Tues: jog 2 min/ walk 1 min x20
    Wed: tablata on bike (damn that's hard), ankle mobility (broke the ankle last oct, still rehabing)
    Thus: jog 1 min/ walk 30 sec x 30
    Fri: bench press, pull-downs, sqauts, wood-chop, row
    Sat: yoga, driving range

The sledgehammer workout will definitely mix it up for you...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sledgehammer-workout/
    So will the Shovelglove... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ustrated-Guide

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    There have been quite a few recent threads on this forum, and in Mark's Blog (search archives), on sledgehammers, kettlebells, clubs, maces, bodyweight... Are there enough ideas here for you to consider or is there something else you're looking for?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Different exercises to mix things up. Wall sits, jumping lunges, burpees, hanging leg raises, pistols, renegade rows, farmer walks, bent-over barbell rows, renegade rows, L-sits, etc. Spend some time reading good bodybuilding/strength training blogs, and you'll get lots of ideas for fun stuff to try.

Bodyweight work for time. Compete with yourself. How many pushups, squats, and situps can you do in 15 minutes? Or, how quickly can you do 100 pushups, 300 squats, and 100 situps?

Get out of the gym. Carry sandbags up a hill. Haul buckets of water to your animals/shrubs/pool/whatever. Build a fence for somebody -- without renting a posthole auger.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    Great suggestions!!!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of the body weight exercises my self. Also, Tim his his shovelglove thread on here. That doesn't take a major investment and would give you a fresh way to build up some muscle. The name sounds kind of strange, but I plan on getting a hammer and joining in on the fun.

Thanks all. I appreciate the responses.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    Different exercises to mix things up. Wall sits, jumping lunges, burpees, hanging leg raises, pistols, renegade rows, farmer walks, bent-over barbell rows, renegade rows, L-sits, etc. Spend some time reading good bodybuilding/strength training blogs, and you'll get lots of ideas for fun stuff to try.

Bodyweight work for time. Compete with yourself. How many pushups, squats, and situps can you do in 15 minutes? Or, how quickly can you do 100 pushups, 300 squats, and 100 situps?

Get out of the gym. Carry sandbags up a hill. Haul buckets of water to your animals/shrubs/pool/whatever. Build a fence for somebody -- without renting a posthole auger.
    OMG... if I wasn't married...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast