Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What's your most frustrating thing about being paleo? page 5

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin17 View Post
    The only thing that bothers me is others. People see how I eat and ask how I work out and I tell them and then they try to contradict what has made me so successful in health. I try to tell people that the proof is in the pudding as I have lost 60lbs and am now stronger than almost anyone I know.

We don't mind cooking in our house and to combat the "don't feel like cooking/there is nothing to cook" we freeze paleo meals for those days so there is never an excuse to fail unless it is one of those cheat meals from work or something. Anyone that has a sugar/grain addiction needs to grow up and get past it. Read up beyond Mark Sisson to learn about the science behind Paleo and it won't be much of a problem to avoid the bad stuff as you won't look at those things in the same manner. Instead of missing the cookies you will look at them as toxic and something that will truly damage all you are trying to accomplish in this fantastic way of eating. Something that separates Paleo practitioners is education......if you don't educate yourself than you are doing this as a Fad diet and will end up reverting to where you were when you started. Educate yourself and understand the why and the science behind this and you will be blessed for life!
    Right with you!

Bron is offline Senior Member
    having to specially order 10+ kilos of sausages from the butcher. Last batch, a mere $190. And with 5 of us eating them (husband still eats the revolting normal ones. How, I'll never know), they sure don't last long.

Oh and being so busy the last two weeks of school (summer vacation here, we've had 40* days. Oh yay, we don't leave near enough to the coast to enjoy the beach either ), I completely forgot to order the nitrate free ham from the butcher

Tinathetaco is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Then people say, "Well, you must just be lucky. You have one of THOSE metabolisms."
    I look forward to the day when people who didn't know me prior to the weight loss see me eating a steak or something and say, "You can eat whatever you want! You're so lucky." At which point I will pull out a picture of myself from when I was fat and say, "Can I?"

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinathetaco View Post
    I look forward to the day when people who didn't know me prior to the weight loss see me eating a steak or something and say, "You can eat whatever you want! You're so lucky." At which point I will pull out a picture of myself from when I was fat and say, "Can I?"
    YES!!! I have the perfect picture for that one (should it ever come my way). Funny though, even those who knew me when I was morbidly obese will still find a way to put down how I eat. I figure they can live their life in ignorance!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The most frustrating thing for me is that I really don’t like what is on the menu. While I have nothing against meat, nor hold any views against its consumption, I just don’t really like to eat it. Particularly eggs, which can make breakfast difficult since I either have to eat something unsatisfying or make extra preparations the night before.
    It depends on what exactly you are missing, but there are ways to have sweet, or crunchy, or hot or no cook breakfasts without obvious eggs.

Did you try vegetable mushes (pumpkin, cauliflower, sweet potato, turnip, broccoli, carrots or mixes etc) with butter? They are very much like hot cereal & you just have to have boiled veggies on hand and heat it up after mushing in a Magic Bullet in a micro.
    pre-chopped veggies (you can buy them) or fruit (if you eat it) with creamed coconut morsels, nut butter or cheese (hard or soft), barring dairy and nut problems.
    bone broth,
    smoothie (green or partially green),
    zooming banana or plantain or whatever with a touch of tapioca strach and eggs will make pancakes fast.
    borrowing from whole foods, hot non-gluten cereal (millet, buckwheat, rice) with dairy, nuts and fruit are not a bad thing barring insanely high sensitivity to starches.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    YES!!! I have the perfect picture for that one (should it ever come my way). Funny though, even those who knew me when I was morbidly obese will still find a way to put down how I eat. I figure they can live their life in ignorance!
    Because seeing real results doesn't mean a thing. Ever hear, "Are you done with your little diet yet?"

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinathetaco View Post
    Because seeing real results doesn't mean a thing. Ever hear, "Are you done with your little diet yet?"
    Yep, a variation of it: "you still eating like that?"

The hard part is when someone is really interested, but have no faith in themselves, and start with "I can't live without _______ (bready/grainy thing here)".

Of course, that was me too! It's a personal thing in the end.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Watching the wretched sea of fat, ugly humanity surrounding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    The hard part is when someone is really interested, but have no faith in themselves, and start with "I can't live without _______ (bready/grainy thing here)".

Of course, that was me too! It's a personal thing in the end.
    When severely unhealthy people say that, it makes me sad.

When my friends say that, it's normally preceded with a million questions about my diet and what I can and can't eat (or rather, what I choose to eat and what I choose not to eat). When that happens, all I want to do is punch them in the throat.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I'm visiting my parents right now and about 5x a day I have to say, "No thank you, that has wheat in it." It's like they honestly don't know bread, pancakes, etc. have wheat. My mom told me the other day she hasn't been eating wheat, but every day I've been here she's had bread. Um...?

And my boss, bless her heart. She objects to my diet because it's not Biblical. She says they eat grain in the Bible. Well, that may be true (and I am a Christian) but I'm pretty sure God is fine with me eating what makes me feel my best.

But my biggest frustration lately has been finding food I can eat on this vacation. I'm in a VERY rural location and they have never heard of a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's. There is no natural bacon. There are no free range eggs. There is no natural meat. I did find some organic vegetables. The health food section is about 9' x 9' and has very little. I'm doing my best but have every expectation of seeing dire consequences when I step on a scale back home, and I don't feel nearly as good.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast