Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your most frustrating thing about being paleo? page 2

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Worst part for me is probably the lack of convenience foods. I'm the only cook in our household, so if I'm not feeling well, there's nothing easy for DH to throw together or pick up on his way home from work. He could learn and wants to, but going Primal has made it even more complicated because it involves a lot of prep work. I really need to do some freezer cooking, but lately our budget hasn't allowed for bulk purchases.

I second the previous responses too. I feel like half my week is spent going to various farms, farmer's markets, and stores, and none are close to home. I'm dreading the holidays because we're spending a week at the in-laws house. Cheating is out of the question (I'm definitely gluten intolerant) and while I can make do, the comments will be hard to deal with. Sorry, but "living a little" involves feeling ill for several days and that's not how I want to spend my holiday. I also hate that a few days a week I pick up my 4yo from pre-K and she's a spazzy animal because they've just eaten some processed junk food. I have to bite my tongue when the teacher says "I don't know what's gotten into them this afternoon, they're wild!". Or that it's not a coincidence that the day I allow her to get cafeteria breakfast/lunch instead of her packed meals is also the day that she gets in trouble repeatedly.

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    The only thing that bothers me is others. People see how I eat and ask how I work out and I tell them and then they try to contradict what has made me so successful in health. I try to tell people that the proof is in the pudding as I have lost 60lbs and am now stronger than almost anyone I know.

We don't mind cooking in our house and to combat the "don't feel like cooking/there is nothing to cook" we freeze paleo meals for those days so there is never an excuse to fail unless it is one of those cheat meals from work or something. Anyone that has a sugar/grain addiction needs to grow up and get past it. Read up beyond Mark Sisson to learn about the science behind Paleo and it won't be much of a problem to avoid the bad stuff as you won't look at those things in the same manner. Instead of missing the cookies you will look at them as toxic and something that will truly damage all you are trying to accomplish in this fantastic way of eating. Something that separates Paleo practitioners is education......if you don't educate yourself than you are doing this as a Fad diet and will end up reverting to where you were when you started. Educate yourself and understand the why and the science behind this and you will be blessed for life!
    Last edited by Darwin17; 12-16-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin17 View Post
    The only thing that bothers me is others. People see how I eat and ask how I work out and I tell them and then they try to contradict what has made me so successful in health. I try to tell people that the proof is in the pudding as I have lost 60lbs and am now stronger than almost anyone I know.

We don't mind cooking in our house and to combat the "don't feel like cooking/there is nothing to cook" we freeze paleo meals for those days so there is never an excuse to fail unless it is one of those cheat meals from work or something. Anyone that has a sugar/grain addiction needs to grow up and get past it. Read up beyond Mark Sisson to learn about the science behind Paleo and it won't be much of a problem to avoid the bad stuff as you won't look at those things in the same manner. Instead of missing the cookies you will look at them as toxic and something that will truly damage all you are trying to accomplish in this fantastic way of eating. Something that separates Paleo practitioners is education......if you don't educate yourself than you are doing this as a Fad diet and will end up reverting to where you were when you started. Educate yourself and understand the why and the science behind this and you will be blessed for life!
    +++1000

I think you nailed it in this post. /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    There's nothing that really 'bugs me' but I kind of laugh to myself when someone asks what I 'don't eat' and I provide my short list of sugar, grains, processed crap, legumes, beans and dairy. Then I get a 'deer in the headlights look". Then I get the hilarious response of: "I don't eat sugar either!" --- followed by the person telling me that they stick to mainly fruits during the day. If I dare to suggest that fruits are FULL of SUGAR, I again get the deer in the headlight look.

People make me laugh -- seriously --- the world is a stage of comedians.

What else makes me laugh: My husband scolding me on how I'm not an expert on nutrition and that I should stop talking about nutrition to our friends who are registered dieticians and who advocate the Canadian Food Guide. I tell me husband that the Food Guide is flawed in so many ways, and he responds that there's nothing wrong with the Food Guide and that the problem is people who don't know how to follow the food guide. At this point, we terminate the conversation on primal eating -- it's a no win for me.

As an aside, poor hubster is sick as a dog with a cold or flu today ---- making him some bone broth.

Other things that make me chuckle: My work colleagues calling me a "stick pin" -- Well, this stick pin is picking up and moving 80lb boxes of office supplies, without so much as breaking a sweat. I may look like a stick pin to you --- but I can crack open nuts in the palms of my hands!

Thanks for the daily laughs, everyone --- keep 'em coming!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    There's nothing that really 'bugs me' but I kind of laugh to myself when someone asks what I 'don't eat' and I provide my short list of sugar, grains, processed crap, legumes, beans and dairy. Then I get a 'deer in the headlights look". Then I get the hilarious response of: "I don't eat sugar either!" --- followed by the person telling me that they stick to mainly fruits during the day. If I dare to suggest that fruits are FULL of SUGAR, I again get the deer in the headlight look.

People make me laugh -- seriously --- the world is a stage of comedians.
    You've got a problem with fruits?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin17 View Post
    Anyone that has a sugar/grain addiction needs to grow up and get past it. Read up beyond Mark Sisson to learn about the science behind Paleo and it won't be much of a problem to avoid the bad stuff as you won't look at those things in the same manner. Instead of missing the cookies you will look at them as toxic and something that will truly damage all you are trying to accomplish in this fantastic way of eating. Something that separates Paleo practitioners is education......if you don't educate yourself than you are doing this as a Fad diet and will end up reverting to where you were when you started. Educate yourself and understand the why and the science behind this and you will be blessed for life!
    One can be educated and still feel the call of the cookie monster. Ideally all our food decisions would be from a logical objective place... but one shouldn't expect education to detox a druggie.

Pilatesmom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    One can be educated and still feel the call of the cookie monster. Ideally all our food decisions would be from a logical objective place... but one shouldn't expect education to detox a druggie.
    Spot on! I am a sugar druggie. I am on the wagon 90% of the time. Then there are the rare days where I do allow myself to fall off. Only to get back on. I have chosen this as a way of life, not some fad diet. I am committed. I am also fallible and human.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Eating out. I want to go out and do things after work but no, if I want to stay primal, I have to hurry home and cook dinner. Then I'm home and don't want to go out. It can get grindy.

Where. are. the. paleo. restaurants? Seriously, tried yelping it. Nothing. At least not here in San Francisco, which is a pretty cosmopolitan, forward place. Grrrrrrrr.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    For me it's loss of convenience. I'm pretty good at cooking quick meals from scratch, but sometimes it would be nice to grab something from the freezer. Well, tbh, I sometimes do that. Still you only have to look at the ingredients list to scare yourself back to real food.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    For me it's loss of convenience. I'm pretty good at cooking quick meals from scratch, but sometimes it would be nice to grab something from the freezer. Well, tbh, I sometimes do that. Still you only have to look at the ingredients list to scare yourself back to real food.

This^
    ...and having to make my own mayo and bbq sauce and salad dressings and and and...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast