Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprinting for a Beginner? page

reallygravity is offline Senior Member

Sprinting for a Beginner?

Primal Fuel
    I know that I can google sprinting and get a million suggestions, but wanted personal experiences.

So far, my workouts at barre, pilates, yoga, and walking. I am planning to start sprinting in January 2013. Any tips and things to keep in mind? I personally dont like running long distances, but sprinting seems to be done and over with in a short while.

Anything I have to keep in mind?

Thanks...

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    My personal experiance:

While walking decided to run a bit on some grass. Ran fast for probably about 5 - 10 seconds. Did a couple more short sprints like that maybe doing 2 to 3 sprints. In a week or so of doing this I felt ready to go and do a actually sprint work out. Walked to a likely bit of hill (up hill is easier on the joints at first) ran up as fast as I could till I needed to stop, walked back down, panting a lot, repeated 6 times if I remember right, went home very out of breath and on a good old excersie high.

I built up the distance and the reps to 8 reps of full out sprinting covering 100 yards or so.

I just went all out for as long as I could, didn't bother with timers or intervals.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    My personal experiance:

While walking decided to run a bit on some grass. Ran fast for probably about 5 - 10 seconds. Did a couple more short sprints like that maybe doing 2 to 3 sprints. In a week or so of doing this I felt ready to go and do a actually sprint work out. Walked to a likely bit of hill (up hill is easier on the joints at first) ran up as fast as I could till I needed to stop, walked back down, panting a lot, repeated 6 times if I remember right, went home very out of breath and on a good old excersie high.

I built up the distance and the reps to 8 reps of full out sprinting covering 100 yards or so.

I just went all out for as long as I could, didn't bother with timers or intervals.
    I like this approach, I think I'll give it a go (tomorrow...not today with a hangover lol).

Also, love your siggie, told my step-father that a cpl years ago, took him a bit LOL
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Since there is no place for me to do springs and not look like a criminal or mad man I just use a treadmill at the gym, I crank it up to a 5 incline and then get up to about 5mph, which is my limit presently without my heart trying to explode out of my chest and take out every other person in the gym when it turns my bones into shrapnel.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Since there is no place for me to do springs and not look like a criminal or mad man
    Aren't there any high schools with tracks and/or football fields near you?

Thanks everyone!

I am so excited to start this!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    hey, here's a tip i picked up from something dan john wrote, and it's proved true - do hill sprints. it's almost impossible to do these with bad form, and they'll be quick and intense.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    hey, here's a tip i picked up from something dan john wrote, and it's proved true - do hill sprints. it's almost impossible to do these with bad form, and they'll be quick and intense.
    they are also way easier on your body than flat sprints, and a killer workout.

There is a small private college campus next door and they have some hilly areas. I am totally going to do that. Thanks for the tip. I would have absolutely no idea!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, this is definitely going to be a killer workout. Yeecks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast