Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Roddy slams Paleo on Matt Stone's Blog page

otzi Guest

Danny Roddy slams Paleo on Matt Stone's Blog

Shop Now
    The Peat Whisperer Whispers Paleo – 180 Degree Health

I really don't get Danny Roddy or Matt Stone. They seem to have a big gripe with paleo, but when pressed, they revert to "you are just playing caveman". They both want us to eat in a way that increases our metabolism, as judged by pulse rate and body temp, and the prescription to raise both is 'more sugar'.

From the article:

Matt’s ideas resonated with me due to my experiences with my own health; however, they are not popular amongst our peers in the Paleo community.

Rather than discussing ways to support the metabolic rate, those that view health from an “evolutionary” lens are finding new exciting ways to slow the life process.

For example:

Have you ever filled your bathtub with ice to engage in “cold thermogenesis”?
    Have you ever “felt great” on a 24-hour “intermittent” fast?
    Have you ever added a stick of grass-fed butter to a cup of coffee?
    Have you ever called fructose “f#%ktose”?
    Have you ever nodded your head in agreement with anything Robert Lustig or Gary Taubes has ever said?

If you answered, “yes” to any of the above, you may be an unknowing participant in a phenomenon I have dubbed, “The Race to Torpor!”
    A Paleo Template: The Best Way To Combat Adaptation?

So, before I ask these questions, I would like to state that I’m not interested in getting everyone to eat like me; in fact, I want you to eat whatever you want.

However, having gone through the wringer myself, I empathize with those who are stuck in a dietary paradigm that is not getting them to where they want to be.

If you’re following a “Paleo template” and are still experiencing problems, I believe that ruminating on these questions is pertinent:

Are pulse rate and body temperature meaningful health diagnostics?
    What makes more sense: slowing the metabolic rate, increasing it, or is it a “U-shaped” curve?
    Does the way you produce energy have any significance in health?
    Carbon dioxide appears to be a central feature in resisting stress and maintaining health. Why is no one in the Paleosphere (besides Chris Masterjohn) talking about it?

To sum it all up: Do modern-day “Paleo templates” provide the appropriate context for dealing with the unfavorable adaptive changes seen in stress, sickness and aging?
    Last edited by otzi; 12-15-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Stone them!!!
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Danny Roddy did not slam paleo. Danny Roddy supports paleo - he supports what paleo SHOULD BE.

What he doesn't support is the low carbohydrate, fear-mongering form of paleo that has turned this community into a niche for dogmatic zealots.

Danny Roddy supports what paleo SHOULD BE - simply embracing whole foods with a preference for natural sugars (fruits) and ruminant meats. I'm sick and tired of the label "paleo" because it has been hijacked by bloggers with an agenda, and their agenda is to create biases and exceptions so people hang on their every word. You're not that special, fat is no healthier than carbohydrate and muscle meat and vegetables is not the ideal human diet. A little bit of everything whole food is the ideal human diet.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I'm not even going to touch this topic with a ten-foot pole lest people totally get the wrong idea, but let's just say that we allow people to eat what we want and shut the heck up?

All parties.

Debate, discuss nutrition, NOT diets.

I think Danny is one of the most brilliant minds in the blogosphere. I owe a lot to Danny Roddy. I will never eat the diet he eats - I am not downing loads of milk, strained orange juice and soda anytime soon - but I have paleo-ified his diet with lots of quality dairy, lots of fruit, lots of starch and reduced my fat intake (while at the same time skewing my meats towards red meat with less of everything else) and I've never felt better in my life. I'd still be getting post-lunch chills every day without Danny's blog.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Actually...

Paleo "SHOULD" be what works for each individual person... no wide sweeping statements for or against high or low carbohydrate methods because each has important roles to play depending on the persons needs.

There shouldn't be fear mongering on either side.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

What I mean is... Let people eat whatever the hell they want to. Instead of making statements such as " the diet you are eating is wrong!" or "you have a severe metabolic deficiency if you DON'T eat x!" or what have you, it would be better to not even tell them what they should be eating, but merely offer some compelling evidence to reconsider their opinions.

I'm not singling you out Choco, nor anyone else, but being pushy and demonizing certain ways of eating as "damaged" or "wrong" is a bad bit of behavior I have noticed from both sides of the fence within our little community. No one side can claim to be completely free of blame on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Actually...

Paleo "SHOULD" be what works for each individual person... no wide sweeping statements for or against high or low carbohydrate methods because each has important roles to play depending on the persons needs.

This, 100% this. It's individual based on specific needs to everyone, that we can NEVER presume to completely understand for ourselves, especially from discussion over an Internet message board.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Actually...

You are 100% right Cori. The problem is it's been co-opted by so many bloggers perverting what paleo should actually mean - simply eating real foods regardless of macronutrient breakdown - and they create customized paradigms to separate themselves from the pack so you keep coming back for more. People need to naturally experiment to find out what makes them feel best, but due to fear of an entire macronutrient, many people don't know how much better they can feel.

Danny's information points you in the right direction. My personal experimentation confirms that a diet of red meat, quality dairy, ample fruits and starches is vastly superior to a diet of fatty meats and vegetables. I'd never go back. But if you're not willing to find out........you won't.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Danny Roddy's views on serotonin being an adaptive stress response increasing cortisol, estrogens and everything in a bad way are totally false medically speaking.

I LACK serotonin because of my hypopituitarism and my LOW cortisol, LOW pregnenolone, and it makes my hypothyroidism and my estrogens WORSE.
    His point of view is completely reversed.

That's why many men on "advanced" Hormone Replacement Therapy, in its most up-to-date form tend to increase pregnenolone to boost ALL neurotransmitters, and tend to take something like 5-HTP to increase serotonin around bed time.

Derpamix will want to debate this, I guess.

Oh and I don't get how one can say a Paleo WOE is high in trytophan, I get around 1 g of trytophan a day at most.
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 12-16-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast