Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Roddy slams Paleo on Matt Stone's Blog page 6

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

One thing I can say for sure is that anyone who says wild caught Alaska sockeye salmon is unhealthy is not someone whose dietary recommendations I take seriously.
    This. My ancestors (native americans) THRIVED on salmon during their runs. Along with turkey, some deer, and other fishes.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    This. My ancestors (native americans) THRIVED on salmon during their runs. Along with turkey, some deer, and other fishes.
    True. Context rears it's head again.

Do you actually eat fresh caught local salmon from clean water now?

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post

Do you actually eat fresh caught local salmon from clean water now?
    I do, on the regular. Salmon, trout, perch, catfish, sunfish, pickerel. I eat em all from select bodies of water.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    Context definitely matters. My most recent ancestors are from Italy and Cuba, but I have lived in upstate NY almost all of my life and it's not a place where natural sources of PUFA or tropical fruits are ubiquitous. We don't have oranges, bananas, almonds, avocados, salmon, or coconuts outside to be harvested or hunted. But the very few mentions Peat has made about specific foods is kind of vague and usually taken too seriously by fanatics. If you piece together his general recommendations, PUFAs are simply minimized, not eliminated because that's impossible, which may have something to do with the fructose factor more than salmon being inherently unhealthy. When I track and plan my "peat" foods on cronometer.com, they exceed all nutrient targets except for vitamin e which I apply topically. His recommendations are extremely well-rounded; Mexican Cola is not at the bottom of his pyramid despite what some may believe. He said he will drink it in place of coffee on occasion. How that translates to drink all the soda in place of nutritious food is beyond me.

Most Peat foods are very, very, very high in potassium and magnesium. I think it's one of the healthiest non-diet compilations I have come across because it covers everything and more.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I'm having a little trouble with the idea that that the gelatin in gummy bears redeems the other chemical additives, or the wholesome, natural cane sugar in Mexican Coke makes the rest of the ingredients pure and healthy.
    That too. Makes it hard to take his "science" seriously.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    But where does he say to eat lots of gummy bears and drink Mexican coke? Those two things are a very small part of his actual recommendations. So small that they are mere supplement suggestions if you find they are compatible with your needs. He mainly recommends eating gelatin, you know, the plain stuff? Even his ice cream recommendation is taken out of context; he makes his own at home in a blender just like the 8000000 Paleo ice cream recipes out there.

I think some information was cherry-picked and taken waaaaaaaaay out of context by his critics AND followers.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, the giant game of playing telephone will continue (by both misinformed zealots trying to follow their guru to extremes and by detractors looking for the most laughable Peatarian nonsense to poke fun at) unless Peat actually deigns to write down in a clear manner a recommended dietary guideline.

Until then, I think I already know how to eat. It's called Primal.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-23-2013 at 03:49 PM.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    One thing I can say for sure is that anyone who says wild caught Alaska sockeye salmon is unhealthy is not someone whose dietary recommendations I take seriously.
    Yeah...that one is hard to accept.

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    I have a few propositions:

1) Anyone that claims that any diet named after themselves is the ONLY true path to their idea of "health" should not be listened to.
    2) If you need the internet to buy 95% of what someone recommends, they are a charlatan.
    3) Anyone that uses THEIR n=1, whatever it is, as proof of the legitimacy of their ideas, again, should not be listened to.
    4) People that act as if the "speed of metabolism" is something which can be easily manipulated, as Peat seems to do (not sure, his stuff made me want to punch kittens after 3 minutes), needs studies to back that up. From my experience, these do not exist. I don't magically burn double the calories at basal rate because I ate Panda skin for breakfast or plain gelatin.
    5) Anyone that wants human beings, with finite lives, to eat unflavored gelatin, does not have a soul. Period.
    6) You need more than Peat's completely unjustified claims to back people like Taubes or Lustig off of theirs. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary data, which he has none of.

Anyway, time to celebrate. It's bacon night!!!!

(ok, so it's always bacon night, but I digress)

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think most people can or want to eat exactly within some rigid 'by the book' plan. I understand that there will always be exceptions due to specific medical conditions and such.

I have wild caught salmon on the grill as I type this.

I'm still relatively new at it, but so far nothing I've read by Peat nutrition-wise hits me as outlandish in any way.

Why not pick and chose what to apply and discard the rest, instead of bashing anything that doesn't conform 100% with the Paleo/Primal paradigm.

Personally, I don't understand how minimally processed substance derived from the core of a sugar cane plant is inferior to a fatty piece of feedlot pig's stomach, for example.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast