Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 297

Thread: Danny Roddy slams Paleo on Matt Stone's Blog page 4

  1. #31
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,377
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    How hard is this diet(mine for example when I started at first):

    4 quarts of milk, 2 quarts of orange juice, 10oz or more of cheese, 1-2lbs of dates, 28oz of haagen daz daily, lots of salt, some bakers chocolate, 8oz of beef liver every week, butter, coconut oil, coffee, supplemental sugar(in coffee, milk, orange juice, and even on my cheese) gummy bears, mexican coke, blackstrap molasses.

    I don't even cook any of that stuff
    4 quarts of milk
    2 quarts of orange juice
    10 oz or more of cheese
    1.5 lbs of dates
    28 oz of haagen daz
    2 oz bakers chocolate
    1.5 oz of beef liver
    1T butter
    1 oz coconut oil
    supplemental sugar(in coffee, milk, orange juice, and even on my cheese) (1/4 cup daily)
    gummy bears (2oz)
    mexican coke (2 servings/day)
    blackstrap molasses (2 oz)

    Totally impressive. For how long were you consuming almost 10,000 calories a day?

    Fat(g) Carbs(g) Prot(g) KCals
    411.42 1296.35 258.85 9811

    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Hey friend, I do feel very energetic and quite good. Waking up is only hard because my job is so boring. I just salt to taste, my diet has changed a bit from then though. I would say I get an additional 2tbsp of salt per day. I'm quite fond of salt on very water dense fruit like watermelon, which also works if you prefer more solid food.
    So you put more than an ounce of salt on your food in addition to that which it already contains? Impressive.

  2. #32
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,891
    Funny thing though, the forums (and the blogsphere) focus on the reletively unimportant 10%.
    I think people think they are special when they eat in a special way. It's also super fun to one-up people on the strictness and difficulty of your chosen diet.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  3. #33
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,729
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    Funny thing though, the forums (and the blogsphere) focus on the reletively unimportant 10%.
    Well everyones trying to carve out a niche market. Roddy sells people who didn't obtain the everlasting enery and superpowers they where looking for with VLC paleo the high carb dream. Stone sells the "junk food won't kill ya" dream to orthorexic hyperdieters.

    There are many many many people that do absolutely GREAT on low carb paleo, but then they think hey if low carbs this good NO carb must be even better! I actually think Roddy reported this being his experience. So they go no carb and get pissed when it doesn't work out for them. Then they track down Peat and Stone and the like and the pendulum swings to the other extreme.

    Lets face it. This paleo/primal stuff ain't all that hard and its been said best and repeatedly by several authors already. Eat meat, vegetables, fruit, tubers, nuts and seeds. One sentence. Done! Throw in the carb curve to deter people from becoming fruititarians and you got yourself a plan of what and how much to eat.

  4. #34
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Fuck the carb curve!

    Otherwise i agree with everyone.

  5. #35
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Lets face it. This paleo/primal stuff ain't all that hard and its been said best and repeatedly by several authors already. Eat meat, vegetables, fruit, tubers, nuts and seeds. One sentence. Done!
    And every one of those categories has a caveat. Mark limits fruits by glycemic index and carb content, as well as tubers. Everything is limited by omega-6 content (especially meat), nuts and seeds have phytic acid along with omega-6, and remember kids, you don't need that much fiber. Except a BAS is basically meat and fiber.

    It is an easy diet to follow when you don't limit yourself like that, but almost everyone does. You can't begrudge people attempting to optimize when they're following a diet specifically advertised to promote optimal health. :/

  6. #36
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    4 quarts of milk
    2 quarts of orange juice
    10 oz or more of cheese
    1.5 lbs of dates
    28 oz of haagen daz
    2 oz bakers chocolate
    1.5 oz of beef liver
    1T butter
    1 oz coconut oil
    supplemental sugar(in coffee, milk, orange juice, and even on my cheese) (1/4 cup daily)
    gummy bears (2oz)
    mexican coke (2 servings/day)
    blackstrap molasses (2 oz)

    Totally impressive. For how long were you consuming almost 10,000 calories a day?

    Fat(g) Carbs(g) Prot(g) KCals
    411.42 1296.35 258.85 9811



    So you put more than an ounce of salt on your food in addition to that which it already contains? Impressive.
    Your fat and calorie count is slightly off, I ate low fat cheese and drank skim raw milk. And I'd say about 2 weeks before it was too expensive. I was recovering from nearly starving to death on a diet of meat and vegetables.

    I consume about 3-5k now though, depends on how hungry I am.

    And there isn't much natural sodium available in fruit and orange juice. Sodium is an essential compound. With increased fluids and potassium via fruit and juice consumption brings need for increased sodium, especially in those with a low metabolism.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  7. #37
    Emby's Avatar
    Emby is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Your fat and calorie count is slightly off, I ate low fat cheese and drank skim raw milk. And I'd say about 2 weeks before it was too expensive. I was recovering from nearly starving to death on a diet of meat and vegetables.

    I consume about 3-5k now though, depends on how hungry I am.

    And there isn't much natural sodium available in fruit and orange juice. Sodium is an essential compound. With increased fluids and potassium via fruit and juice consumption brings need for increased sodium, especially in those with a low metabolism.
    Derpamix,

    You're awesome :-)

  8. #38
    Rocco Hill's Avatar
    Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Would probably help if you knew what you were talking about. Not only is liver and brone broth a Peat-friendly food, but the special carrot salad is nothing but grated carrots in coconut oil and vinegar. Straining OJ is not hard, and you can even use commercial orange juice. Hell, he even uses frozen concentrate OJ himself. Ice cream is fine if it doesn't contain gums, additives, et el. Haagen Daz for example, which I eat liberally.

    How hard is this diet(mine for example when I started at first):

    4 quarts of milk, 2 quarts of orange juice, 10oz or more of cheese, 1-2lbs of dates, 28oz of haagen daz daily, lots of salt, some bakers chocolate, 8oz of beef liver every week, butter, coconut oil, coffee, supplemental sugar(in coffee, milk, orange juice, and even on my cheese) gummy bears, mexican coke, blackstrap molasses.

    I don't even cook any of that stuff
    I know this thread is old but for anyone still interested;

    Although I'm not dicking on what Derp eats, it's important to note that there is NO Ray Peat diet. So it's not as if he's telling people to eat Haagen Daz, gummy bears and mexi-coke. This is not necessarily indicative of what everyone who follows Peat actually eats. These things do specific things. Mexi-coke(which uses pure sugar as opposed to hfcs) increases co2, ice cream provides calcium, and in the case of gummy bears, provide gelatin and sugar(not the store made stuff). Simplistic but thats the gist.

    I consume neither of these things, and nor do many people who follow Peat. Milk, cheese, seafood, liver, red meat with gelatin, potato, fruit, butter, coconut oil, OJ, salt, white rice, carrots among other things are all foods he 'recommends'. He makes these recommendations based on his scientific research, rather than evolutionary speculation about what we should be eating. He tends to view it through the lens of our metabolism, temperature etc.

    It's important to actually research his work before commenting. The amount of times i've seen someone reference that Milk and carrot diet is ridiculous.

  9. #39
    Rocco Hill's Avatar
    Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    I used to get annoyed with this stuff; especially when co-workers, family and friends would email over random internet "research" and findings against some of the Paleo cornerstones. I used to discuss which inevitability resulted in arguments.

    Now I just say: "That's cute, but I'm the strongest I've ever been with my lowest body fat % while doing about 1/4 the cardio, eat 10X more vegetables, sleep better, dont rely on caffeine, somehow lost my sinus issues and have improved my health stats. Thanks for the note but I'll stick with what's working."
    Good for you. I think many people interested in Roddy's/Peats, even Stone's work, are coming from doing exactly what you do, see it working, then see it not working. Many are from LC 'Paleo' backgrounds.

    So if it works for you indefinitely then great, no-one can tell you otherwise.

  10. #40
    Graycat's Avatar
    Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    I it's important to note that there is NO Ray Peat diet. So it's not as if he's telling people to eat Haagen Daz, gummy bears and mexi-coke. This is not necessarily indicative of what everyone who follows Peat actually eats. These things do specific things. Mexi-coke(which uses pure sugar as opposed to hfcs) increases co2, ice cream provides calcium, and in the case of gummy bears, provide gelatin and sugar(not the store made stuff). Simplistic but thats the gist.
    I think what not to eat it's super important here. Like, nearly eliminating all polyunsaturated fat from one's diet.

    Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •