Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Roddy slams Paleo on Matt Stone's Blog page 3

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I see Peat/Roddy recommendations as 'next steps' for people.
    I agree. I think there's a lot of good stuff to be taken from both diets, and something ideal is probably a fusion of many approaches, individually tailored.

So glad you're feeling better Bestburner! You're looking great in your pic

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I agree with this in part. I personally can't bring myself to consume a mostly liquid diet of milk and OJ. However, I think this is a situation where you can take the elements that ARE doable and incorporate them into your lifestyle IF there is a need.

If someone is eating a paleo diet, or even a SAD diet, and they are happy and healthy, no one is saying they need to change it.

I see Peat/Roddy recommendations as 'next steps' for people, like me, who are watching their health decline on a paleo diet.

Like I said, I could never bring myself to consume a liquid milk/OJ diet, but increasing my starches and sugars while decreasing my fat (among other small changes) has made a GIGANTIC improvement in my health.

I agree that having a faster heartbeat and body temperature are not the ONLY indications of good health, but for me, as someone with a body temperature that was approaching a corpse, and a super low pulse, I didn't even have the energy to get off the couch most days (But hey, no blood sugar spikes!) That's certainly not the picture of good health.
    You are describing a condition that needs medical intervention--not just reading blogs on the internet. I'd bet that if you went to Dr. Peat's office and had him examine you, you would be doing things way differently than what you are doing by reading his and Danny's blogs.

If I met someone who had slow pulse, low temps, and no energy and they told me they were following a paleo template to get better, but it's not working, and they are continuing to do it?? Well, that's not much different than someone who goes to the doctor because they are feeling bad and walk away with a handful of statins and other meds which don't help, but they take them for years getting no better.

On a different note, I have seen numerous comments in Danny's blog by people who have added lots of carbs and sugar and only gain weight. People miss their sugar and any guru who tells them sugar is OK will be popular with them.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    4 quarts of milk, 2 quarts of orange juice, 10oz or more of cheese, 1-2lbs of dates, 28oz of haagen daz daily, lots of salt, some bakers chocolate, 8oz of beef liver every week, butter, coconut oil, coffee, supplemental sugar(in coffee, milk, orange juice, and even on my cheese) gummy bears, mexican coke, blackstrap molasses.

I don't even cook any of that stuff
    Sweet mother of God...!!!

Saying that, you do have great hair

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Sweet mother of God...!!!

Saying that, you do have great hair
    aww thanks ^-^
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to consume a mostly liquid diet. Cheese can replace milk for calcium, tropical fruit can replace OJ, etc. Solid foods have their place in a Peat diet as well.
    That could be fine for some people, but not me. I don't consume dairy. It gives me terrible acne, and there are lots of theories about links between casein, and autoimmune disorders, which I have.

Plus, it would take a hell of a lot of cheese to satiate me...I need to eat solid foods, and I personally need more variety. But that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    You are describing a condition that needs medical intervention--not just reading blogs on the internet. I'd bet that if you went to Dr. Peat's office and had him examine you, you would be doing things way differently than what you are doing by reading his and Danny's blogs.
    Funny, I was able to cure all the problems brought on by my paleo/primal eating by doing exactly that. Which I find impressive, since every doctor I went to for 'medical intervention' had zero to offer me in terms of improving my health. Somehow, I did it, and it only took tweaking my diet using some info from these blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    On a different note, I have seen numerous comments in Danny's blog by people who have added lots of carbs and sugar and only gain weight. People miss their sugar and any guru who tells them sugar is OK will be popular with them.
    I think this is probably happening for the same reason that some people gain weight on primal; they incorrectly assume that just because something is healthy and good to eat, it automatically means they should consume it excessively. It all comes down to moderation, in my opinion. Yes, some sugar can be good for you. Does that mean you should be guzzling 5lbs of sugar every day? No, of course not. But then, guzzling a lb of butter or 5lbs of bacon probably isn't a good idea, either. Yet there are always posts on this forum from folks doing exactly that.

I think people sometimes want permission to go overboard. It doesn't matter whether it's sugar or fat. It's a shame that the focus is usually 'what can I eat to excess without getting fat?' instead of searching for balance.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You're looking great in your pic
    Thanks!
    Last edited by BestBetter; 12-16-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Emby is offline Junior Member
    Would probably help if you knew what you were talking about. Not only is liver and brone broth a Peat-friendly food, but the special carrot salad is nothing but grated carrots in coconut oil and vinegar. Straining OJ is not hard, and you can even use commercial orange juice. Hell, he even uses frozen concentrate OJ himself. Ice cream is fine if it doesn't contain gums, additives, et el. Haagen Daz for example, which I eat liberally.

How hard is this diet(mine for example when I started at first):

4 quarts of milk, 2 quarts of orange juice, 10oz or more of cheese, 1-2lbs of dates, 28oz of haagen daz daily, lots of salt, some bakers chocolate, 8oz of beef liver every week, butter, coconut oil, coffee, supplemental sugar(in coffee, milk, orange juice, and even on my cheese) gummy bears, mexican coke, blackstrap molasses.

I don't even cook any of that stuff
    I love this! You must be very healthy and energetic all the time! Im sticking more with solids at the moment but as my metabolism rises more liquid will be less of an issue.

How much salt do you use a day with that volume of liquid?

Thanks

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emby View Post
    I love this! You must be very healthy and energetic all the time! Im sticking more with solids at the moment but as my metabolism rises more liquid will be less of an issue.

How much salt do you use a day with that volume of liquid?

Thanks
    Hey friend, I do feel very energetic and quite good. Waking up is only hard because my job is so boring. I just salt to taste, my diet has changed a bit from then though. I would say I get an additional 2tbsp of salt per day. I'm quite fond of salt on very water dense fruit like watermelon, which also works if you prefer more solid food.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    My personal experimentation confirms that a diet of red meat, quality dairy, ample fruits and starches is vastly superior to a diet of fatty meats and vegetables.
    For you it is. But for a lot of people, it's not quite the right fit. I mean, hell if I want to eat fatty meat and vegetables either. But some people find it works well for them. I like a variety of proteins, fruits, vegetables and limited dairy and starches. That's what works for me. Some people do awesome on a raw vegan diet.

Paleo and Primal are really rough guidelines and the bigger message is about foods to avoid.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    I used to get annoyed with this stuff; especially when co-workers, family and friends would email over random internet "research" and findings against some of the Paleo cornerstones. I used to discuss which inevitability resulted in arguments.

Now I just say: "That's cute, but I'm the strongest I've ever been with my lowest body fat % while doing about 1/4 the cardio, eat 10X more vegetables, sleep better, dont rely on caffeine, somehow lost my sinus issues and have improved my health stats. Thanks for the note but I'll stick with what's working."

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    For you it is. But for a lot of people, it's not quite the right fit. I mean, hell if I want to eat fatty meat and vegetables either. But some people find it works well for them. I like a variety of proteins, fruits, vegetables and limited dairy and starches. That's what works for me. Some people do awesome on a raw vegan diet.

Paleo and Primal are really rough guidelines and the bigger message is about foods to avoid.
    Exactly this!!!! Eliminating the garbage foods is 90% of the battle. The last 10% at most is playing with macros (and not even necessary).

Funny thing though, the forums (and the blogsphere) focus on the reletively unimportant 10%.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast