Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Danny Roddy slams Paleo on Matt Stone's Blog page 28

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    PB, I was responding more to Patski's post. Sorry, I forgot to quote!

In any case, I do find it interesting that many body builders who are already lean, will do a "cut" with a keto diet. Short-term, of course.

Peter Attia talks about the greater caloric needs of certain folks on a ketogenic diet. Some people seem to ramp up their metabolism when keto.
    Ah!. Gotcha!

Yes, if it's bodybuilders doing a "cut" that makes it manly and badass. Just like the Steakaneggz plan was seen as an "old school bodybuilding diet" ..............that just happened to be ketosis. All in the marketing.

Barnyard is offline Senior Member

In any case, I do find it interesting that many body builders who are already lean, will do a "cut" with a keto diet. Short-term, of course.

Peter Attia talks about the greater caloric needs of certain folks on a ketogenic diet. Some people seem to ramp up their metabolism when keto.
    And don't forget, Peter Attia burns some serious calories with his workouts.......
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    And don't forget, Peter Attia burns some serious calories with his workouts.......
    .....and looks really good doing it. Ooops sorry. Did I say that out loud?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have no problem eating enough calories on the VLC. In fact, I had to reign myself in endlessly. Ribs, roast chicken, salo, holodetz, liver pate, macadamia nuts, creamed coconut - any of which items can be eaten in 1,000 +++ cals in one sitting without bating an eyelash. You might clue in on your 5th apple that you might be going too far and 1 apple sure looks like a meal. On another hand, 5 tbsp of almond butter don't look that much different from 2 tbsp, and 1 tbsp looks like a miserably small drop of food. One can find some tasty things to it on VLC, just not as good as fruit and veggies. Overeating is never a problem on the VLC... unless you one of those happy ones who eat 1 tbsp of butter and feel stuffed for 20 hours straight.

EDIT: I want to clarify that I do not criticize VLC, I am on the opposite very envious of people who can maintain VLC and feel full and happy and well. I am envious of people on any macros and style who can eat low enough calories to be slender and feel great and not think about food and not miss anything.

And, Leida, having seen your photos, you are a lot leaner than you think you are. I hate to say this but I think you but you have some body dysmorphia issues going on.
    I think I need to put in my signature, that "the photos of me you may have seen were taken when I was 15-18 lbs lighter". I am stuck at 135 lbs now, pushing size 8-10, and have plenty more cellulite, bulges and spider veins to show for it. But I am not starving and I am sleeping.

Plenty body builders cut on vegan diets, and on the super-lean protein - unlimited green veg diet. And, the best body look is actually often noted once they start carb-loading. Ketosis is not the way of life, it is the endless cycling of carb depletion vs load that gives muscles the chemical boost to grow and lose fat. Entering ketosis is not necessary for it, just carb depletion (Ultimate Diet says no ketosis).
    Last edited by Leida; 07-29-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Personally, even though I eat very VLC I also have a lot of variety in my diet. I am lucky enough to live where there is ample fresh wild caught seafood and grass fed meats, and organic produce. My personal favorites (even way before Primal) have always been non carby, so I don't feel constrained there. If anything I feel relieved not to feel like I have to eat those healthywholegrains that are supposed to be good for you.

So, if your personal favorites were always carby and you didn't have much imagination or desire to learn to cook, I can see why VLC could cause you to not vary your diet much and therefor run into some nutritional deficiencies.

"isolated fat"? Here again the stereotypes of VLC being people sitting around chewing on seal blubber.
    But Paleobird, darling, you're still on a relatively low-calorie diet, I think? Under 1500 calories a day or so? For someone who could use upwards of 2500-3000, but has to keep protein levels low, the only place it can come from is fat.

I enjoy all of the same foods you enjoy, but I like more variety and if I were to have to keep carbs AND protein lowish, I'd be bored to death of very high fats; it's a turn off for me when not accompanied by tasty delivery vessels. So my point was when keto isn't working because of too few calories, it might be because your options are limited which can be a huge turnoff to people, especially those for whom texture is important. This isn't the case with everyone, of course. I know personally I lose my appetite quickly for fatty foods, but there's usually room for a piece of fruit.
    Last edited by j3nn; 07-29-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    But Paleobird, darling, you're still on a relatively low-calorie diet, I think? Under 1500 calories a day or so? For someone who could use upwards of 2500-3000, but has to keep protein levels low, the only place it can come from is fat.

I enjoy all of the same foods you enjoy, but I like more variety and if I were to have to keep carbs AND protein lowish, I'd be bored to death of very high fats; it's a turn off for me when not accompanied by tasty delivery vessels. So my point was when keto isn't working because of too few calories, it might be because your options are limited which can be a huge turnoff to people, especially those for whom texture is important. This isn't the case with everyone, of course. I know personally I lose my appetite quickly for fatty foods, but there's usually room for a piece of fruit.
    I'm not counting anymore so I really don't know. My guess is closer to 2000. I do agree that for a very tall but very skinny person such as Derp with a young male metabolism to boot, he would need a lot more calories than I would and would as I put it "end up chewing on blocks of butter all day". This is why it doesn't work well for him. No argument that it doesn't.
    The rest is just a matter of personal preference. I would be bored to death with so much dairy and juice (as claimed by some peatarians). High fat, moderate protein to me is the fun stuff.

patski is offline Senior Member

Sorry doll, but I wouldn't call 5'6" tall.

I have been tall and lanky my whole freaking life. And I'm 5'9". For a very, very long time, my weight hovered at around 130lbs.
    Last edited by patski; 07-31-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Sweet! I'm 5'9" ..... Can I be tall too!

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Sweet! I'm 5'9" ..... Can I be tall too!
    5'9" is above average for a woman and below average for a man. I'm 5'2.5" so 5'9" would be considered pretty tall to me!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm 6'3 and taller than most people I see. I guess I'm tall.
    nihil

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast