Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Roddy slams Paleo on Matt Stone's Blog page 22

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pretty much what I'm getting is if it's something that Peat recommends that is good, it's a primal thing, but if something that Peat recommends is bad, it's a Peat thing. But, for one example, I don't think many primal people who didn't know about Peat would be eating as much gelatin as might be beneficial. There's no need to blindly reject everything the man says a priori.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm criticizing people who eat junk and pollute their bodies with chemicals who then presume to give advice on a Primal forum. I have no problem with people who choose to eat a higher carb version of Primal such as YB.

Peat is not really that important. He bases all his reasoning on faulty premises and then adds lots of science-y sounding stuff to the chain of logic after that. OK, he is a scientist so he does that well, but a faulty premise undercuts the whole thing.

Having a racing heart rate and a high body temp are not good indicators of health. All the other stuff is about how to achieve that heart thumping hot goal. But if the initial premise doesn't hold water, what is the point?
    You're just arguing against your own made up version of Peat. He writes about all sorts of stuff---iron, vitamin E, gelatin, coconut oil, fish oil, salt, aspirin, vegetables, and even the effects of altitude on mortality. All those things are worth reading even if you don't believe in his claims about sugar, metabolic function, etc..

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by F.Fellini View Post
    Pretty much what I'm getting is if it's something that Peat recommends that is good, it's a primal thing, but if something that Peat recommends is bad, it's a Peat thing. But, for one example, I don't think many primal people who didn't know about Peat would be eating as much gelatin as might be beneficial. There's no need to blindly reject everything the man says a priori.

You're just arguing against your own made up version of Peat. He writes about all sorts of stuff---iron, vitamin E, gelatin, coconut oil, fish oil, salt, aspirin, vegetables, and even the effects of altitude on mortality. All those things are worth reading even if you don't believe in his claims about sugar, metabolic function, etc..
    Huh????? Okaaaay.

Yes, there are a lot of places where Peat and Primal overlap such as gelatin, coconut oil, etc. Never said otherwise. The people who take these parts of peat plus ignoring stupid things he says like that nuts and fish are bad for you have a pretty healthy diet going on.

The people who take what he says about sugar to an extreme as in mainlining the stuff do not.

The effects of altitude on morality???? Seriously???? You want me to take this man's writing seriously and mention that???? Heh!

janie is offline Senior Member
    I don't think that is the point, F.Fellini. The point for me is that this is the Primal Blueprint site. I came here to learn more about it and be supported in following it. I didn't go to the Peat site b/c that isn't what interested me, and I read plenty of science TYVM. I'm simply weary of the sugar pushing, cigarette smoking, alcohol worshiping ones who regularly insult Mark Sisson on this site. My point is that they should push their wares somewhere else....that is, if they had any decency or maturity, or cared that people struggling with their health were going to read their BS crap instead of getting help that they need. They should go Peat at Peat's site. Or Roddy at Roddy's site. Or Matty Stone at Matt Stone's site and let those who came here for Primal do Primal instead of shoving some alternate theories down our throats. It is everyday and tiresome in the extreme.
    Last edited by janie; 07-25-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I don't think that is the point, F.Fellini. The point for me is that this is the Primal Blueprint site. I came here to learn more about it and be supported in following it. I didn't go to the Peat site b/c that isn't what interested me, and I read plenty of science TYVM. I'm simply weary of the sugar pushing, cigarette smoking, alcohol worshiping ones who regularly insult Mark Sisson on this site. My point is that they should push their wares somewhere else....that is, if they had any decency or maturity, or cared that people struggling with their health were going to read their BS crap instead of getting help that they need. They should go Peat at Peat's site. Or Roddy at Roddy's site. Or Matty Stone at Matt Stone's site and let those who came here for Primal do Primal instead of shoving some alternate theories down our throats. It is everyday and tiresome in the extreme.
    Geez, this is so riduculos, I don't even know where to start.

If you didn't come here to learn about Peat, Roddy or stone did you by any chance notice the title of this thread?

How about checking out the other 5,978,680,976 threads on MDA? I'm sure you'll find something that might interest you more.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I came to Primal Blueprint to learn about Primal Blueprint. Which was my point. If I had yearned to learn about these other theories I would have sought them out.

And yes, I'm likely old enough to be your grandma and I can read.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    The effects of altitude on morality???? Seriously???? You want me to take this man's writing seriously and mention that???? Heh!
    -_- Are you this close-minded? Look at this list:

1 Clear Creek, Colo. 81.3
    2 Eagle, Colo. 81.3
    3 Gilpin, Colo. 81.3
    4 Grand, Colo. 81.3
    5 Jackson, Colo. 81.3
    6 Park, Colo. 81.3
    7 Summit, Colo. 81.3
    8 Montgomery, Md. 81.3
    9 Lyon, Iowa 81.3
    10 Sioux, Iowa 81.3
    11 Nicollet, Minn. 81.1
    12 Story, Iowa 81
    13 Carver, Minn. 81
    14 Collier, Fla. 81
    15 Benton, Ore. 80.9
    16 Polk, Ore. 80.9
    17 Fairfax City, Va. 80.9
    18 Fairfax County, Va. 80.9
    19 La Paz, Ariz. 80.9
    20 Yuma, Ariz. 80.9
    21 Winneshiek, Iowa 80.8
    22 Morgan, Utah 80.8
    23 Summit, Utah 80.8
    24 Archuleta, Colo. 80.8
    25 Gunnison, Colo. 80.8

What do most of those cities have in common? Altitude. It's nothing new, higher altitude = longer lifespan. It has to do with the lower partial pressure of o2.

Google it again if you want, you'll find everyone reaches the same conclusion. Also, just noticed in your immature rant you spelled mortality as morality, so I'm not sure if in your brief dyslexia that you read it that way, or if it was just a typo.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 07-25-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I came to Primal Blueprint to learn about Primal Blueprint. Which was my point. If I had yearned to learn about these other theories I would have sought them out.

And yes, I'm likely old enough to be your grandma and I can read.
    What you say is perfectly reasonable, yet isn't it also perfectly reasonable that you don't need to read a thread about a topic you're not interested in?

Like, I'm not interested in discussing how to reduce period pain on a primal diet, so I avoid, "Ladies, that TOM" threads etc. And if I don't want to do a potato diet, I avoid that thread. If I don't want to read fantastical fiction and hilarious good times, I avoid gay panda's journal. If I don't want to feel hungry during the day, I avoid Paleobird's journal.

It's easy enough to pick out the bits you want to find out more about.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    No, it definitely wasn't you. It was some dope on the Steve Jobs thread, speculating that his fructose diet gave him cancer.
    Hrmm, I remember a Ted talk a while back looking at how dysfunctional cancer cells are, and how they basically *have* to live off glucose (rather than fat) and get severly outcompeted by your normal healthy cells on a ketogenic diet. I can't find the ted talk, but it's something along the lines of this.

So while carbs don't *cause* cancerous cells, they can help multiply them....
    Last edited by magicmerl; 07-25-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

@ FF. No, I said YB's diet is just high(ER) carb Primal and I have no problem with it. I do object to people trying to pass candy, soda, large quantities of coffee, and cigarettes off as health promoting. While saying that nuts and salmon are bad for you. Common sense has left the building.

Someone on a seriously high sugar version of peat (such as Derp) would have a blood sugar crash if forced to go without sugar. YB's diet is very sensible and works for her. Cool.

See, this is what I was saying. Peat's writings are vague enough that, if you want to claim you are "eating Peat", you can.

I eat fruit, cheese, liver, shellfish. See I'm a Peatarian!
    Actually, my fasting glucose levels are very mundane and normal. Next? In fact, I typically don't eat for 18 hours at a time just because I forget to. No dizziness, nothing.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Even though I have no intention of starting to mainline oj (except when sick!) I still like to hear about the other perspectives and things people are trying.

The funny thing is Paleobird says that, meanwhile people on VLC diets often complain about one piece of fruit invoking intense cravings that make them binge on cupcakes, candy bars, pizza, etc;

Wonder why

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast