Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Roddy slams Paleo on Matt Stone's Blog page 20

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    Yesterday after I trained I noticed my pits smelt.....of strawberries.
    Mine smelled like 2 week fermented roast beef..... take that! You may wade in my muskiness now....breath deeply and take it in boys and girls.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    Yesterday after I trained I noticed my pits smelt.....of strawberries.
    You too? Wow. Guess it really works so.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Mine smelled like 2 week fermented roast beef..... take that! You may wade in my muskiness now....breath deeply and take it in boys and girls.
    When I lived in India I smelled of turmeric. True story!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    here's my take on ray peat's ideas. Ray Peat is Diet Rehab.

If you've been struggling dieting for years or eating shit then there's probably no better place to land. His whole philosophy (IMO) is to cause your metabolism as little stress as possible, you almost molly coddle it, so it doesn't have to do anything difficult. This is great for people who for years have been overworking their systems dealing with toxic shit and no food(cal restricing) or VLC or whatever. You eat peat, you go on a dietary holiday. But.......

I don't think this holiday can last forever (most holidays don't) eventually i believe you will narrow your metabolic range eating this way. Intermittent Stress provides our bodies with terms of reference, it lets us know what we need to do, what we need to improve (this is basically weightlifting (and life) in a nutshell). I think eventually a peat metabolism will operate in a very narrow band and any outlying event (like having to go without sugar for 2 days) will cause the peat body great distress.
    Well said. A Peat metabolism would be having the shakes if deprived of sugar.

Someone also said that it causes cancer. Probably Paleobird, or someone else that reads Mercola's misinformed sensationalist articles where he takes everything out of context.
    Mercola is a snake oil salesman but cancer does thrive on sugar. I never said sugar caused cancer but sugar does cause cancer cells to proliferate. Depriving cancer cells of the only substrate they know how to use (glucose) makes them wither up and die. That is documented medical fact that you can google at your leisure if you care to.

Those of us like CarbDodger and myself who have BTDT experience with cancer will go on living happily ketogenic and cancer free.

IMO this whole Peat discussion is pointless. YB presents her "Peat diet" that is nothing more than high(ER) carb primal. What is point in arguing these tiny distinctions?

Ray Peat's writings are kind of like reading the astrology section of the newspaper. (Yes, Derp, I have read his stuff.) It is written just vaguely enough that anyone can find something in it that speaks to them and decide they have found The Truth.

If that makes you happy, terrific.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    @ Paleobird

This discussion long-since bored me, but that post was awesome.

"I didn't take a stand against anyone.....I took a stand on wishful thinking and junk science: I came out against it." - Dad, in an argument with an idiot once.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I must admit that when I smelt my arm pit and the sweet aroma of that morning's strawberries pervaded my senses, I did feel a slight sense of emasculation. I kneel to your musty beef sweat Sire.

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Yeah I'm not a "Peatarian" but I'm gonna respond to this anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well said. A Peat metabolism would be having the shakes if deprived of sugar.

IMO this whole Peat discussion is pointless. YB presents her "Peat diet" that is nothing more than high(ER) carb primal. What is point in arguing these tiny distinctions?
    So a Peat-eater goes crazy without sugar, but a typical peat diet is just "high carb primal"? You can't have it both ways, lol. Either a Peat diet doesn't work, or it does work and it's just akin to higher carb primal. It can't be both an acceptable, healthy variation of primal and something that causes "the shakes" if you follow it.

It is written just vaguely enough that anyone can find something in it that speaks to them and decide they have found The Truth.
    This doesn't make anything sense: none of Peat's internet writings give protocols/plans/strict advice/"blueprints." He just writes about various phenomena, and publishes his information online for free (kinda like a more-sciencey Mark Sisson, except Peat isn't selling things). He's not writing vaguely at all; the only way you could interpret him as vague is if you are assuming that he's another diet guru, which he isn't. The people that obsessively try to plan a diet on what Peat wants are crazy, but you can't fault Peat for that. Everyone could learn something from his writings---regardless of whether or not you plan on drinking milk and OJ.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    This discussion long-since bored me
    The discussion has long-since ended. Now it's just a place for people who follow Peat to talk about how good they smell

Although now Paleobird is back that might change...

I never said sugar caused cancer
    No, it definitely wasn't you. It was some dope on the Steve Jobs thread, speculating that his fructose diet gave him cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by F.Fellini View Post
    So a Peat-eater goes crazy without sugar, but a typical peat diet is just "high carb primal"? You can't have it both ways, lol. Either a Peat diet doesn't work, or it does work and it's just akin to higher carb primal. It can't be both an acceptable, healthy variation of primal and something that causes "the shakes" if you follow it.
    What Fellini said

Actually I don't label myself anything. I just like Ray Peat, and many of his suggestions work for me. But if I needed a label, yeah - I could just as easily be Primal.

People here who read Peat always maintain that there are a lot of similarities between the diets. The Primal people can't seem to accept that The difference is that hard-core PBers fear sugar and insulin spikes, while hard core Peatatarians fear PUFA and thyroid malfunctions.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.Fellini View Post
    Yeah I'm not a "Peatarian" but I'm gonna respond to this anyway.

This doesn't make anything sense: none of Peat's internet writings give protocols/plans/strict advice/"blueprints." He just writes about various phenomena, and publishes his information online for free (kinda like a more-sciencey Mark Sisson, except Peat isn't selling things). He's not writing vaguely at all; the only way you could interpret him as vague is if you are assuming that he's another diet guru, which he isn't. The people that obsessively try to plan a diet on what Peat wants are crazy, but you can't fault Peat for that. Everyone could learn something from his writings---regardless of whether or not you plan on drinking milk and OJ.
    OOOooooh! Let me!

First she said "YB's" peat diet was high carb primal..... NOT.... that the Peat diet generally reported is. So you needs to pay attention cause there IS a difference!

Then you say this......"This doesn't make anything sense: none of Peat's internet writings give protocols/plans/strict advice/"blueprints."

And you have basically proved PB's point. Its a vague set of discombobulated articles. Design what you will out of it and call it "Peat".

Anyhow, eat what you want and call it what you want I say. Anything anybody on this board is doing is better than SAD so Grok on!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-25-2013 at 03:00 PM.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Sigh.
    Threads like this make me sad.
    I came here to learn more about Primal and to be supported in following it.
    I didn't come here for arguments.
    I don't give a flying F about these other guys (peat, Stone, who ever they are).

If those of you who do their plans love it, that is great for you. Please go to their sites and have your conversations.

Last time I looked this was the Primal Blueprint site.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Paleobird Guest
    @ FF. No, I said YB's diet is just high(ER) carb Primal and I have no problem with it. I do object to people trying to pass candy, soda, large quantities of coffee, and cigarettes off as health promoting. While saying that nuts and salmon are bad for you. Common sense has left the building.

Someone on a seriously high sugar version of peat (such as Derp) would have a blood sugar crash if forced to go without sugar. YB's diet is very sensible and works for her. Cool.

See, this is what I was saying. Peat's writings are vague enough that, if you want to claim you are "eating Peat", you can.

I eat fruit, cheese, liver, shellfish. See I'm a Peatarian!

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast