Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Roddy slams Paleo on Matt Stone's Blog page 19

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Yeah I think peats food choices are pretty top notch, without knowing, I ate similar types of foods. As a restorative diet it seems top notch. It's just all this hormone adjusting and body temp range manipulation and thyroid protecting over the long term that doesn't quite sit right with me.
    I totally agree with that assessment that it's a restorative diet.

I wouldn't worry about people doing it too religiously: the food choices are extremely varied and people rarely stick to anything 100%. Eg. I had a completely carnivorous day yesterday: I ate eggs, a beef burger, and a veal chop. If anything, adopting this woe gives you the grace to mix things up as you see fit.

The excessive PUFA fear mongering annoys me, but it happens with any movement.

---------

My Peat N=1, in case anyone gives a damn

I've been leaning this way for seven months, but really made a shift (unintentionally) one month ago.

Typical menu:

Breakfast: yellow cheese (edam / gouda) and fruit (melon / nectarine / raspberries / kiwis / CHERRIES etc.)
    Lunch: Cottage cheese and fruit. Sometimes smoked salmon.
    Dinner: Fruit and Eggs / salmon / shellfish (prawns / mussles / calamari) / red meat
    Snacks: Dates, Apples, other fruit etc.

Red meat (lamb / beef / veal) is probably once/twice a week; fish / shell fish three / four times a week, and have one / two veggie days. I drink coffee with gelatine maybe 3 times a day, sometimes make jello that has a two tea spoons of sugar in it. I also drink about a litre of coconut water per day, which Peat hasn't commented on, but I can't survive without

So, in total, about 2 tea spoons of sugar, no candy, or coke, lots of fruit, only grass fed meat or free range eggs. Fat intake is very moderate: probably 40gs per day. It feels like enough. I ate a vegetable about two weeks ago (a cucumber). I'd wager I eat better than a lot of people on this site

Results:
    - I exercise intensely 5-6 days a week. Prior to this it was 1 day a week!
    - My energy is stable. No crashes. Before: frequently burned out and tired.
    - No cravings.
    - Distinctly enhanced sense of smell.
    - A heightened awareness of stress and anger. I interpret as an ability to process anger, whereas before I repressed it, and it became depression.
    - Skin looks amazing
    - Body odour has completely vanished (though to be fair: this happened when I went low carb too: I think it's from giving up starch).
    - Gelatine suppresses appettie and makes hair grow faster.
    - My feet are never cold anymore
    - Discovered that 300gs of carbs = sound sleep, therefore chronic insomnia = cured.

The only downside to all this is that Ray Peat is going to wind up more expensive for me. My water bill will probably go up because now the slightest whiff off my clothes / possessions is unbearable, and I'll have to get my hair cut more often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    I usually live in London, have done for the last 8 or 9 years. Though since March I've mostly been living on a Farm in the country...needed to do some thinking away from there.
    Likewise - I've been here four years and am planning a migration at the end of autumn... somewhere warmer!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-25-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added the cherry on top
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    "Gilbert Ling does not believe in ATP as an energy source for cells"

That is not a minor charge. That is the equivalent of saying "DNA is not the source of our genes". It is going against about 70 years of biochemistry, most of which has been proven beyond much reasonable rebuttal any longer. Again, you can say that, but you better have MOUNTAINS of data and more than one guy that will vouch for you. Otherwise you are just grandstanding.

"Dr. Lazarus doesn't believe in cells."....ok, well who gives a rats behind. But hey, I got my name out there out of the obscurity it was under before! I am a snowflake researcher, a rebel with the REAL science all by myself! Put me on the internet!

The fact that someone realized, by accident, that one could image the water collecting around proteins via the different ions they emit does NOT repudiate decades of biochem.....in the same breadth, alleles were not disproved by Watson and Crick imaging the DNA molecule. These are separate theories, and the validity of one does not make fallacy of something unrelated.

I have a simple rule in ALL of science and medicine.

Anytime I see "Person _______'s theory on thermodynamics/retinal surgery/biochem", in any other form but an actual study with falsifiable claims, I am going to presume they are a fruitcake grandstander until proven otherwise. ONE guy does not disprove the work of many thousands because some people on the internet wrote about it, and there is no shortage of angst-ridden researchers trying to make names for themselves by throwing out deliberately contrarian, if unverified, claims about just about anything.

My personal and professional preference is much like Peter's. I work within the confines of what I was taught and what is accepted as basic truths. If I didn't I simply would never get anything done! It took this many years just analyze and understand as much as I do. It would take me a whole lifetime to investigate each and every hypothesis that was discarded on the way to where we are. Thats where specialization in our society helps. It really is somebodies job to do that.... just not mine. However, I like to keep an open mind to various hypothesis. And its good for your brain! I'm sure just as learning a new language or an instrument... just contemplating such things and logically refuting or assimilating portions of them provides terrific neurological stimulation

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Interesting stuff, YB. I eat relatively similary, actually, though I take glucomannan instead of gelatine for appetite control, and I do eat veggies, mostly cabbages, cucumbers and roots, with an odd tomato thrown in.

One thing that is different for me once I started eating more carbs as in fruit, is sweating. Gods be good, but I have sweat pouring down me again during the workouts. Looking at your n=1 it must be starch.

I do split my macros right now, and I do eat soaked and dried nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts). I am trying to start eating dairy again, but I seem to lost taste for yogurt, so gonna source kefir grains again, I think to make quark. Quark is curds, so I am sure it is the same as cottage cheese for pitness. Or maybe not. I am still scared of dairy = cataracts thing.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I totally agree with that assessment that it's a restorative diet. I wouldn't worry about people doing it too religiously either: the food choices are extremely varied and people rarely stick to anything 100% either. I had a completely carnivorous day yesterday: I ate eggs, a beef burger, and a veal chop. If anything, adopting this woe gives you the grace to mix things up as you see fit. The excessive PUFA fear mongering annoys me, but it happens with any movement.

---------

My Peat N=1, in case anyone gives a damn

I've been leaning this way for seven months, but really made a shift (unintentionally) one month ago.

Typical menu:

Breakfast: yellow cheese (edam / gouda) and fruit (melon / nectarine / raspberries / kiwis etc.)
    Lunch: Cottage cheese and fruit. Sometimes smoked salmon.
    Dinner: Eggs / salmon / shellfish (prawns / mussles / calamari) / red meat
    Snacks: Dates, Apples etc.

Red meat (lamb / beef / veal) is probably once/twice a week; fish / shell fish three / four times a week, and have one / two veggie days. I drink coffee with gelatine maybe 3 times a day, sometimes make jello that has a two tea spoons of sugar in it. I also drink about a litre of coconut water per day, which Peat hasn't commented on, but I can't survive without

So, in total, about 2 tea spoons of sugar, no candy, or coke, lots of fruit, only grass fed meat or free range eggs. Fat intake is very moderate: probably 40gs per day. It feels like enough. I ate a vegetable about two weeks ago (a cucumber). I'd wager I eat better than a lot of people on this site

Results:
    - I exercise intensely 5-6 days a week. Prior to this it was 1 day a week!
    - My energy is stable. No crashes. Before: frequently burned out and tired.
    - No cravings.
    - Distinctly enhanced sense of smell.
    - A heightened awareness of stress and anger. I interpret as an ability to process anger, whereas before I repressed it, and it became depression.
    - Skin looks amazing
    - Body odour has completely vanished (though to be fair: this happened when I went low carb too: I think it's from giving up starch).
    - Gelatine suppresses appettie and makes hair grow faster.
    - My feet are never cold anymore
    - Discovered that 300gs of carbs = sound sleep, therefore chronic insomnia = cured.

The only downside to all this is that Ray Peat is going to wind up more expensive for me. My water bill will probably go up because now the slightest whiff off my clothes / possessions is unbearable, and I'll have to get my hair cut more often...
    +1 YB on your diet.
    Throwing in a few of those mix up days (like the meat day you mentioned) into an easy to follow healthy food list is the basics of my eating philosophy and I'm really glad you took some of it on board.

It sounds like you've started taking your diet out of the restorative and are tending into the optimal. If you can dial a macro up or down in a day and not see a reduction in any of those good benefits, then you know you've made it.

Once restored eating the same every day is the enemy of metabolism.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    One thing that is different for me once I started eating more carbs as in fruit, is sweating. Gods be good, but I have sweat pouring down me again during the workouts. Looking at your n=1 it must be starch.

I do split my macros right now, and I do eat soaked and dried nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts). I am trying to start eating dairy again, but I seem to lost taste for yogurt, so gonna source kefir grains again, I think to make quark. Quark is curds, so I am sure it is the same as cottage cheese for pitness. Or maybe not. I am still scared of dairy = cataracts thing.
    I've heard people say that they sweat more when they are high carb versus low carb. Personally I've always sweated a lot, so I don't notice a difference. BO was never a problem, but when I went low carb a year ago I noticed that I no longer needed deodorant. When I went back high carb (with starches) I reintegrated my roll-on. But now my sweat actually smells... sweet?! Seriously, even after a workout I smell good, it's very strange.

Re. cataracts, I don't know if it's revenant, but I got my eyes tested yesterday, First time since leaving Veganism. My eyesight has improved! Not by much (.25 in the right eye), but it's been stable for six years, and prior to that it was deteriorating. The optician was pretty surprised - he said that only usually happens when people start to become old and long-sighted

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    +1 YB on your diet.
    Throwing in a few of those mix up days (like the meat day you mentioned) into an easy to follow healthy food list is the basics of my eating philosophy and I'm really glad you took some of it on board.

It sounds like you've started taking your diet out of the restorative and are tending into the optimal. If you can dial a macro up or down in a day and not see a reduction in any of those good benefits, then you know you've made it.

Once restored eating the same every day is the enemy of metabolism.
    Thanks DH! Yeah, I definitely took your N=1 and advice on board: I think you're onto something. Variety is key. And with this Peat woe, I eat a wider variety of fruit and meat than I ever did before.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-25-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Runner is offline Member
    Why exactly doesn't Peat recommend sardines and salmon?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't like the fat type in the cold-water fish.

YB, cool about your vision improvement! I dunno. Dairy is one of those endless points of debate for me. Like I know I am inclined to believe that art sweeteners and nuts are better avoided, and I am pretty much sure that non glut grains and legumes are just fine... but dairy... I just have no clue!
    Last edited by Leida; 07-25-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    IMHO, dairy varies person to person.

And I feel the same way about non-gluten grains, especially non-gmo corn as my native ancestors thrived on it, and wild rice.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    And seriously. When people are like, "How can I do Paleo on a budget?" Duuuude, eat Peat! For $5 bucks a day you can eat deeply nourishing foods. Don't buy that overpriced trendy stuff if you can't really afford it! Expensive "organic" vegetables that traveled 3000 miles to your marked up grocery store? Pfft. Potatoes, carrots, bananas, liver, canned oysters, eggs, white rice, and dairy if you do it. Shave some stress off your life.
    That is great advice J3nn.

So sorry to hear about what happened. I hope you recover fast!

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    But now my sweat actually smells... sweet?! Seriously, even after a workout I smell good, it's very strange.
    Yesterday after I trained I noticed my pits smelt.....of strawberries.

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast