Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Roddy slams Paleo on Matt Stone's Blog page 15

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    People accuse me of starting it in PM all the time, when I was actively posting in this subforum anyway. I think VLC probably made people naturally look for something that is the complete opposite because they felt like crap. This is how I discovered sugar again.
    This was the thread that started it all for me: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar?

It's pretty funny reading back on it now: DAnny turned up to defend his views, and you can actually see the moment where some of us began to turn!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-25-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Hm, my diet isn't that liquid based, on a day to day basis, but I have hyperthyroidism and it's really hot here. Consequently, too much sodium makes me feel really, really bad.

j3nn, did you ever have some kind of food virus like salmonella?
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    This was the thread that started it all for me: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar?

It's pretty funny reading back on it now: DAnny turned up to defend his views, and you can actually see the moment where some of us began to turn!
    That thread started it all for me too. By all I mean all my random migraines and my lack of faith in humanity.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Can somebody explain what the obsession is with oj? To the exclusion of other fruit juices.

I tend to think oj should come in those tiny glasses my grandmother used to use.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    Can somebody explain what the obsession is with oj? To the exclusion of other fruit juices.

I tend to think oj should come in those tiny glasses my grandmother used to use.
    It isn't to the exclusion of other fruits, but here's something to chew on;

Orange juice contains a lot of Vitamin C which is a major antioxidant. We know that antioxidants help our bodies to increase white blood cells. This increased white blood cell count helps our body defend against foreign invaders that can cause sickness in the body. When I look at this, plus the fact that oranges are in season during the flu season, I have to think this is one of Mother Nature’s cures to the common cold. It’s pretty amazing if you think about it, isn’t it? Vitamin C is also essential for the body to make collagen and can also help with thyroid health especially in the production of T3.

Potassium is another mineral found in oranges and tropical fruits. Potassium is huge because it helps the body deal with fluids and sodium. Lack of potassium can cause edema. It also helps with nerve function, muscle contraction, and pH regulation. Diets high in potassium are associated with lower blood pressure, according to Gropper et al in “Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism.”

The other great mineral that OJ has is magnesium. Magnesium is very important for good health. You can get magnesium from an Epsom salt bath or bone broth. But, why not OJ? The combination of magnesium and potassium helps to down grade stress levels in the body. The combination of the minerals plus the fact that it is high in salicylates makes OJ anti-inflammatory and can be compared to drinking organic aspirin…pretty awsome!

The way I suggest making your Orange Juice is this:

First, look for organically grown, ripe, local oranges. I always recommend squeezing your own. Frankly, I just don’t trust anything else. After juicing the orange, I recommend straining the juice because the pulp is cellulose and very hard to digest. Many people get stomach aches from the pulp-so take the time and strain it.

I do not recommend drinking it on an empty stomach. I also suggest adding a bit of sea salt to the juice because the sodium /magnesium/ potassium combination is very important for good health. Sip the juice through the day. Do not drink large amounts of it at one time! Just small sips through the day will help with your bodies stress response. Another fun thing that I like to do is to add some sparkling mineral water to the OJ. You can also add some gelatin and boost the protein profile. Why take a vitamin or mineral supplement when you can get everything you need from real food? Many supplements these days just aren’t safe. Your nutrition should be from nature. Just get some fresh oranges at your next farmer’s market and start enjoying your fresh juice with confidence that you are doing something good for yourself. Don’t be afraid to eat Oranges!

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    j3nn, did you ever have some kind of food virus like salmonella?
    I had food poisoning about 6 years ago and haven't been the same since.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Although I have yet to abide by the addition of salt to it - or the 'don't drink it all at once' advice. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I had food poisoning about 6 years ago and haven't been the same since.
    RE:OJ....the pectin may be an issue? As with most food, the source and quality is going to be key. I ain't got round to buying my own OJ yet, just get store stuff(Innocent or M&S which don't have the enzyme shit) which is not concentrated, and they only have Oranges as an ingredient. I'm sure I could source better quality though.

Also, I add about 1/4-1/2 tsp of Bicarb Soda to my OJ. Makes it taste like Fanta. Supposedley increases Co2 production

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    RE:OJ....the pectin may be an issue? As with most food, the source and quality is going to be key. I ain't got round to buying my own OJ yet, just get store stuff(Innocent or M&S which don't have the enzyme shit) which is not concentrated, and they only have Oranges as an ingredient. I'm sure I could source better quality though.

Also, I add about 1/4-1/2 tsp of Bicarb Soda to my OJ. Makes it taste like Fanta. Supposedley increases Co2 production
    I'm not sure. There's so many variables. Sometimes it gives me heartburn immediately, but this week I've been having moderate amounts and no immediate reaction such as burning or discomfort, but my digestion is still whack, so I really don't know. Still trying to figure it out but right now my hormones are taking priority. Overlapping conditions realllllly suck and complicate things.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, thank you.

Masa harina (best), white rice or oats, and brown rice. The phytic acid in the oats block absorption of much of the calcium; cooking the oats much longer than usual might improve its nutritional value.
    Any insight on the other grains, like buckwheat and millet?
    Are sardines in the same 'just say no to' corner as salmon and herring?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast