Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Grains Make You Crazy? page 2

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Vegetarians and vegans are cranky because they typically get little to no fat or cholesterol in their diet, which is a major part for brain development and cell communication. I'm sure wheat is not good for you but to claim it makes you crazy is overreaching it. For some people with high food sensitivities, maybe.
    Well, the vegetarians I know eat plenty of fat and cholesterol in the form of eggs, dairy, vegetable oils, nuts, and junk foods like cookies and chocolate. Not sure vegetarians are necessarily short on fats. Strict vegans maybe but not your average vegetarian. The vegetarians I know don't necessarily eat healthy. They just don't eat meat. They still eat their fair share of junk food just like the average Amercian ... donuts, cookies, pizza, chips, etc. Bad fats, yes, but plenty of fats nevertheless.
    Last edited by Sunnivara; 12-15-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I'm sure wheat is not good for you but to claim it makes you crazy is overreaching it.
    I don't mean wheat in particular has any crazy-inducing properties of its own. I was saying that eating large amounts of any food that is rich in manganese could be a problem if excess manganese can have negative neurological effects on people. Wheat is no worse than other grains, or legumes, in that case.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sorry, we were sharing a snicker about some of the latest posters who seem bent on confusing people and generally being argumentative by militantly advocating against the very core of primal eating. People coming on MDA preaching that grains and sugar are health foods would be like me going on a vegan site and telling them all that they should be eating meat. Yes, it would be under my free speech rights to do so but why would I want to?

To answer your question seriously, there is some very good evidence about the connection between a wheat based diet and neurological/emotional disorders. I started a thread here a while back on behalf of a friend of mine who suffers from depression and got some interesting feedback. I will try to dig that one up for you.

Here you go: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26139.html
    I came to be argumentative, but I stayed because of you Paleobird. Your smile brightens my day. So, yes, I am crazy. Crazy about you. It's not the grains making me that way.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Oh Paleobird, you've got a fan. C'mon, derpadork, you're really a 400 lb man grabbin' his crank over PBird and her leather pants, right?

Yeah it's all this sugar and wheat I eat causing obesity and diabetes and ED but Paleobird fixed that part

I still smell better than you though

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yeah it's all this sugar and wheat I eat causing obesity and diabetes and ED but Paleobird fixed that part

I still smell better than you though

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I came to be argumentative, but I stayed because of you Paleobird. Your smile brightens my day. So, yes, I am crazy. Crazy about you. It's not the grains making me that way.
    I <3 you too, Derpy!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Oh Paleobird, you've got a fan. C'mon, derpadork, you're really a 400 lb man grabbin' his crank over PBird and her leather pants, right?
    That was a mental image I didn't need thankyouverymuch, Joanie. But Derpy is, so he says, a tall thin dude. A dude that uses pics of pretty female models and anime characters for avatars, but a dude nonetheless. Who knows/cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I <3 you too, Derpy!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It's a perfect storm, really. If your manganese theory has any merit, there's that. Then there's the inflammatory fats that CW and vegetarians tend to consume. Then there's the bad cholesterol levels causing them eventually to take statins which have neurological side effects of their own.

The Peat party is really getting obnoxious. But I really don't care if they scare anyone into abandoning the PB diet. People can eat all the pig food they want and I'll eat the pigs.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast