Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pullups and tingling/hands feel weird after training page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Pullups and tingling/hands feel weird after training

Shop Now
    Hey,

Occasionally after doing pull ups or training in general, my hands feel weird (like they fall asleep, but just a tiny bit, a very mild tingling sensation).
    Sometimes during the pullups, when I almost put my chin above the bar, I feel a weird sensation near my elbow, like some vain fell asleep for a second, then it's alright.

Three things to take in consideration: 1. I'm 18. 2. My elbows don't reach a full 180 degree when extended (my elbows are a bit to the side, I wouldn't say twisted, it's barely noticeable but still). 3. My pullup bar is located in the door frame. And it limits my grip width.

Any thoughts on why this may occur?

Thanks in advance.

phigment is offline Senior Member
    When i complained of tingling while during exercise my pt stated that i was compressing a nerve. We had to realign the exercise form to stop it. My left arm has never straighten completly and is always slightly bent.

Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    When i complained of tingling while during exercise my pt stated that i was compressing a nerve. We had to realign the exercise form to stop it. My left arm has never straighten completly and is always slightly bent.
    Compressing a nerve.. Well it might just fit because it seems we're dealing with pretty much the same thing.
    How did you realign the exercise form?

readjusting my grips, trying to use the correct muscles when doing exercise by not overcorrecting, the hardest was relaxing surrounding muscles. Maybe you can get someone to watch your form and give advice?

Did your pt state if this thing is any dangerous? It's a little hard for me to find the exact spot where this occurs. I usually only have the after effect of tingling (10 minutes or so after finishing the exercise)

he didn't say anything. The next time i see him i could ask if you like.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Pinched nerve is a good guess without an exam or info, but the question then becomes which nerve is pinched at what point and what structure is impinging it. Then you can actually work on fixing it.

Unless your gonna see a chiropractor or pt or something and get evaluated (not a bad idea anytime you have symptoms like that) you're best bet is to find a grip that reduces the strain on your elbows, neck and rotator/shoulder. The normal pull up puts those stuctures under more stress than doing chins with palms toward you. I'd try that first.

Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    he didn't say anything. The next time i see him i could ask if you like.
    That would be great, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Pinched nerve is a good guess without an exam or info, but the question then becomes which nerve is pinched at what point and what structure is impinging it. Then you can actually work on fixing it.

Unless your gonna see a chiropractor or pt or something and get evaluated (not a bad idea anytime you have symptoms like that) you're best bet is to find a grip that reduces the strain on your elbows, neck and rotator/shoulder. The normal pull up puts those stuctures under more stress than doing chins with palms toward you. I'd try that first.
    I might do that, but I think it'll be easier to try and fix the grip.
    I did try doing some chin-ups with palms facing me but they fell extremely weird (I got used to normal pull-ups). I might give it another try and see. I don't recall having that tingling when doing pull-ups in the gym, maybe it's the irongym pull-up bar, it does feel a little unbalanced. (and we have narrow frames, making it even more problematic).

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    You can try fixing your grip but if it is a pinched nerve, your only avoiding the problem which is still going to be there. Might be a good idea to see a Chiro to correct it and work on improving your grip also to avoid screwing it up again (especially if its something your doing that triggering it)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks for the advice everyone. For now I think I'll try fixing my grip. Btw, it seems you offer to go to a Chiro and not an orthopedist or any kind of conventional doctor, is there a reason?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast