Thread: Convinced but struggling in the long term page

belfast is offline Junior Member

Convinced but struggling in the long term

Shop Now
    Hello!

I found MDA about two years ago and have read a few of the books, and all of the getting started stuff. I've read other books and blogs too (e.g. Gary Taubes, Michael Eades) and I'm convinced that this makes sense. But that's not enough to get anywhere. Maybe if I got some more copies of those books and started lifting big piles of them!

I'm male, just over 5'7" and weigh 219 pounds. That amounts to a 45" waist and a 19" neck (my jeans are 38" or 40", thanks clothing manufacturers).

I function OK, with a full time job, despite being tired and grumpy most of the time. I'm in my late twenties and, so far at least, I haven't noticed any major health issues. Nevertheless, when it comes to moving heavy things around (e.g. moving to a new house a while ago), I'm a sweating wreck. Maybe it's because I function OK, make a living, married with a place to live, and no major health complaints, that I've been unable to follow the advice I know to be good. The low-level tiredness, low self esteem, etc. aren't really enough to motivate me into action.

When I first came across MDA, I instantly cut out sugar, bread and all the usual baddies, and in about three or four weeks, lost three quarters of a stone and felt really good. I'd wake up in the middle of the night, then have a second sleep (a good sign I think?). In the morning, I was wide awake, no grogginess. Then I'd get sleepy again early around 10pm and go to bed, waking before the alarm. My mood improved. My waist shrunk quite a bit in that short time. All in all, it demonstrated very quickly that even just with the dietary side of things, this works. For those few weeks, I looked forward to bacon and eggs for breakfast, or pork chops or steak with huge piles of rocket and other greens for dinner with a few pieces of cheese through it. Once I'd eaten, I'd eaten, and it didn't occur to me to have anything else until my next meal.

But that was it. I don't know exactly what happened. I mean, of course I know. I must have started eating sugar again. But I can't really pin down the day. Maybe someone offered me something, and I thought it'd be rude to refuse in someone else's house. Maybe after that, I wanted more sugar, "just a little won't hurt - 95/5 ratio of good/bad would be OK wouldn't it?", then back to several bars of chocolate in an hour some days later.

Every so often I come back to this site however. I've known what it feels like to escape this low-level hell, for however short a time, and I want to do it for the long term. I know this is all much more about the future than it is about now. I'm not exactly sure how to avoid a repeat of the last time though.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Keep a journal here. Feel guilty when you don't check in to your journal.

If you look at mine, I am not at all even close to perfectly primal. I really, really, struggle for a variety of reasons. However, I get back on the wagon day after day week after week mostly because I am keeping that journal and feel accountable to those (probably nobody) who read it.

If you're keeping track dutifully you will eventually realize what happens to derail you.

It's here, it's free. Take advantage.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    That's great to make that connection.

"mmm, sugary chocolate confection. I think I'll have one (or two)..." instantly remember how it causes being tired and grumpy most of the time, low-level tiredness, low self esteem, and then weigh up "is the sugary treat worth the trade off?". If you can conciously repeat this connection enough times then it will become your instinctive reaction to this kind of "treat" and you will just not be bothered any more.

belfast is offline Junior Member
    Journal is the way to go I think. Starting that now. Even 25% progress in the right direction on a daily basis would be better than all-or-nothing where I'm likely to conclude "Forget it, didn't work, let's eat all the things!"

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Its a plan to try and re-program how you think about food. Live to eat or eat to live?

People I now know that arn't primal ( that's everyone but my partner) look as food as a source of short term pleasure or just something to stop them feeling hungry. Very few consider the long result of eating junk food.

Each time you consider eating the "wrong things" ask why you are doing it.

I find the short time it actually takes to actually eat crappy food is not worth the long term result.

I wish you all the best with this. I know it can be hard but it's so worth it in the end

Owen is online now Senior Member
    I hear you on the sugar thing, had that all my life - couldn't keep it out of my diet. I've been paleo again now for three weeks, but this time I've been at 99% and I feel incredible. If you want more motivation, just read what you wrote in the fourth chapter, because that's just motivated me!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belfast View Post
    I don't know exactly what happened. I mean, of course I know. I must have started eating sugar again. But I can't really pin down the day.
    But, every day is a day that you can start again. I now think about what I am shoving into my mouth and make a decision to eat it, or not. Yesterday I ate a whole large packet of crisps (chips for the colonials amongst the audience) and today I forgave myself and am moving on. Next week, I will eat christmas pudding, christmas cake, more crisps and drink wine & single malts. After New Year's Eve, I'll hop back on the wagon for at least another five months to my birthday.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Jesster is offline Member
    You're walking along a path, you trip and plop on your face in some mud (chocolate?) and slip down a little hill. You are now sitting in mud (chocolate?) and it's in your pants. You are uncomfortable. What to do? It's sucky there, being all uncomfortable and feeling like a twat. So what do you do...? You wipe yourself off and get back on that path, dammit!

(I hope that made sense?)