My 18 year old daughter is a x-country runner - and has been competing successfully at All Ireland level for a few years. She trains hard several days a week. Her competition distances vary between 3 km to 5 km.

I recently noticed that her diet was slipping- especially on her training nights. She tends to come into the house, grab a sandwich and head straight out to training. Then doesn't eat the dinner left for her and grabs a bowl of cereal....

I have recently switched to Primal eating, and my daughter has now decided that this would be good for her to....

Has any-one made this sort of change over while still in training?

She should be able to reduce the intensity of her sessions for a couple of weeks over Christmas, but will need to build up again for another race near the end of January.

I am happy for her to cut out bread and breakfast cereals so that she can see just how dependent she was on these foods, but am concerned that she may need a slower transition in order to allow her body a gentler change over....

Advice from athletes who are competing on a Primal diet, or folk who have made a switch over whilst in training would be gratefully appreciated.

She is aware that there will be an adjustment period, just not sure how long it might take or how best to approach the change.

Many thanks.