Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feeling the worst iv'e ever felt in my life on primal. page 3

SJW2 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd try melatonin for sleep issues.

magpieoz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I was also hoping to fix my sleep issues but that seems to need something beyond a diet change. Logically it makes sense to just go back to how I was eating before but to be frank it's a little easier said then done. For one i'm scared out of my mind of doing something "harmful" to myself that i'd almost rather not eat then eat something "bad" (yay anxiety).

The other thing is that I may be subconsciously using paleo as a reason to restrict myself out of fear of gaining weight while also looking for a way to control my fear of inevitable death. In which case I clearly need to sort out my issues surrounding food and mortality first.

Edit: I really would like to get to the bottom of why I feel so awful and what i'm missing in my diet though regardless of the outcome.
    Jellyfish - I can relate to this. I have been feeling worse eating paleo at a very low carb level, below 48 grams on a high carb day. I've had acne, headaches and my complexion also seems a bit dull. I have come to realize that I need to add some carbs back in. This summer I was maintaining a lower weight and body fat % eating 70-160 carbs a day. I also felt better.

Also -- This subconsciously using paleo to restrict yourself from gaining I can relate to as well. I went on a crash diet, that was ketosis based, this past winter. Lost 20 lbs. I was at 121 lbs. I have since gained 13 of that back. I have never really had issues with food. I have had issues with my body, but not really eating. After this diet, I had such guilt around eating, eating anything. I would decide just to enjoy a meal and then wake up a pound heavier and feel such guilt. I felt paralyzed to do anything about it. I would restrict my calories that day, go to the gym, make myself miserable.

I came across Primal and started to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I've done a ton of research on eating and body fat gains and loses, trying to figure out what will work for me. I am not really there yet. But one thing I realized is that paleo is not about what I look like, it's about health as you said.

Today I am primal and low carb, plus I drink probably 3 days a week (I am social). I crossfit twice a week and I am tweaking as I go. I haven't been feeling great lately and I believe it's be cause I need more carbs in my diet.

Here is my point, I haven't totally figured it out. I seem to be gaining weight and not losing. But I have made a decision to shift my focus from "my ass is too big and my stomach sticks out here" to "I am doing this to be healthy and to be strong." I am learning to love the body I have and realize that being 10lbs lighter won't magically change my life (you know hot boyfriend, lots of money, lol). I don't allow myself to negative talk when I look in the mirror. Instead I say "Nice T&A" (hey, if you don't have anything nice to say...).

I think that might help you with some of the anxiety you feel around gaining weight. I lost my period at 124-121 lbs for 4 mos, so I know I was anything but healthy. I needed to put some fat back on.

I've been listening to Everyday Paleo podcasts: Podcasts | Everyday Paleo Lifestyle and Fitness I HIGHLY recommend you do the same. They talk a lot about ascetic goals and how people (mostly women) tend to fail when they focus on ascetics. Basically, you can't fix what you hate. So try loving the body you have, go back to the diet you felt good on and maybe work on the stress levels to fix the sleeping issues. I also recommend a magnesium supplement for help sleeping.

If all else fails I remind myself that men think we all weight about 10 lbs less then we actually do! Good Luck, feel better.

Oh and yeah, I agree go see a doctor.

Zach is offline Banned
    You need to stop dieting. Period. Let go of all this baggage that you have attached to foods. The stress you are inflicting on yourself is far worse then anything you could possibly fix with diet.

Eat what you want, when you want. Focus on what makes you happy, stop thinking about food, weight and fat loss. Go get counselling if you need to. It really sounds like you are ruining your health in the persuit of health. There is no nutrient or macro or food group that will magically solve all your problems. The problem is you.

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    I think you should see a doctor. I would also look at possible adrenal fatigue due too high stress/cortisol levels. I have some very serious stress issues also, and cortisol will eventually destroy you if it's not under control.. I still recommend seeing a doctor and going back to the diet that you feel your best on.
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your adrenals are shot. I think feeling better on that diet may have been coincidence, becauase adrenal exhaustion is a chronic thing that doesn't change quickly. What you did 6 months ago, a year ago, seem to matter today. It takes many months to get better and I don't know that you ever get as strong as those who have not had it. But I work pretty hard having had it 10 years ago, far harder than most people today, but not as hard as my ancestors. I have to have my sleep every night or I feel it.

How long did you do the primal low carb, strictly with no interruptions? How did you feel exactly?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123