Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching to Primal - Carb and Sugar Detoxing and Alcohol page

verndo is offline Junior Member

Switching to Primal - Carb and Sugar Detoxing and Alcohol

Shop Now
    Hi,

While I genuinely believe I am happier and perform better with a fatty, protein rich diet, I have a strong overpowering urge to binge on carbs. Especially when mixed with fat (fast foods). Carbs make me crash, make me overeat, produce strong cravings even if I am already full and make me hungrier.

How should I detox from this sugar addiction? Going primal for a day and a half, I suffered from nausea, shakiness, lethargy, mental fog and just exhaustion. For dinner I made flank steak, bbqued shrimp wrapped in bacon and goats cheese and... beer. Lots of it. Made me feel so much better. Went to a soccer game (more beers) and my willpower went out the window (read: huge slice of pizza at 2am).

So, back on the wagon I wonder: do I quit all sugars cold turkey for a few weeks and detox these urges? Will one indulgence send me right back into my addiction? Do I scale back gradually? How much alcohol is too much alcohol (my social gatherings revolve around drinking... avoiding it would require my staying at home all the time. Being sober around a bunch of soccer drunk fans is no fun.)

Lots of questions but I really want to rid myself of the addiction and enjoy the foods my body really requires: veg, protein and fruit. My head gets it... how can I convince my stomach?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    I had to tell my friends I was in de-tox for a couple of weeks ;-)

I started bringing a bottle of Fiji water (my splurge!) to drinking events---I still have a couple glasses of wine sometimes, but it REALLY can affect your weight loss. Sadly, as much as I love beer, I've found I can't have more than one without feeling all bloated and squishy the next day.

It sucks.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Try drinking less carby alcohol (like whiskey) and keeping fructose intake to zero the day you plan on drinking. Some people find that increasing fat intake also helps with carb cravings.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    If you're going to drink, I second MG's whiskey suggestion.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to this: Is the pain of change greater than the pain of staying the same? If so, you're probably not going to see results anytime soon. In other words, you have to decide what matters most to you: the benefits of primal living, or the benefits of your social life.

(Not that they have to be mutually exclusive FOREVER, but you might have to avoid the social temptations until you have your diet well in hand and build up that willpower.)
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 04-16-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    It's hard for many people to do, but the biggest weapon you have in your toolbox for fighting "overpowering" carb urges is willpower. It really comes down to how important making a change is to you. I'm a firm believer in just drawing a line in the sand, saying "no more," and sticking to it.

I made the decision back in February to completely cut alcohol out of my life for the foreseeable future. The first week or so was tough, no question about it. But now, after two months, I hardly even think about it any more. I'm losing weight faster and a side benefit has been having my blood pressure drop dramatically. Alcohol also kills brain cells, so I am grateful that I'm giving my body a chance to build some of them back. Plus, it reduces your willpower so you can't successfully fight the carb urges. Cold turkey is the way to go.

verndo is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for your prompt responses.

Finding the motivation and willpower is tough because I have yet to feel the benefits of eating primal. Right now, cutting carbs makes me feel awful. It's kind of like exercise, starting is a real pain because you don't feel the benefits immediately; the rewards only come with persistence.

I do think I need to draw that line in the sand and go cold turkey so to speak. I find willpower gets stronger the more successful you are at staying on course (day 1 and cheating is easy, you've hardly invested anything in the process but by day 21 and cheating becomes more difficult, you don't want to start over...) It's a don't break the chain mentality.

I am definitely curious about how much better I could feel by going primal and it is important to me. Mostly, I don't want to have to wait for pain (cancer, obsese, chronic medical condition) to get motivated.

I figure it's like learning to ride a bike. I'll be a bit shaky at first and it will tough to coordinate and navigate this new thing but once I get the hang of it, it'll be a joy to use and will be second nature.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    The best move you could make would be to eliminate temptations from the house. Most people are too lazy to go out and buy more food, especially if you are in a bad mood from dropping carbs.

The fact is that if it's in the house, it will eventually get eaten.

Keep primal indulgences around instead so when you do get a craving, eat that, and wait it out. After a couple weeks the cravings will be all gone and you'll be a new person.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member
    Hola,

I highly recommend you read either, "The Mood Cure" or "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. The reason why is she goes into great detail about which supplements you can take to help get over the sugar/ carb/ alcohol cravings.

For me, cold turkey is the best way to go. One thing nice that Atkins has going for it is the two week "Induction" phase. Perhaps you should follow this for the first two weeks to help get adjusted?

Good luck!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Both amazing books^^^ That lady is a genius

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Do you all drink your whiskey straight or mix it with something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast