Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switching to Primal - Carb and Sugar Detoxing and Alcohol page 2

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Do you all drink your whiskey straight or mix it with something?
    If it's a good whisky (single malt Scotch being my fav, but also like a nice bourbon or Irish whiskey on occasion) I add just a little bit of water. Used to drink it straight, but learned at a scotch tasting how a little water really opens up the nose; also learned there's no real "right" way to drink it, other than however you enjoy it!

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I like my whiskey on the rocks, that way the ice melts a little to add water to it.

hutax is offline Member
    Read Mark's book, and stick with it. It took me several months for the cravings to go away. After 9+ months now I have no cravings for grains or sugar. It takes some time.

fit4lifegal is offline Member
    I can relate to your addiction....I think there are benefits/downsides to both ways of dropping carbs - cold turkey and weaning yourself.
    FOr me, I first gave up glutenous grains (wheat, primarily), then all grains, then the first of April was ready to try a challenge and go 100% PB.
    1 April, I gave up dairy (except butter) and alcohol. It took me about 6 weeks to totally give up all grains (the last holdout was rice - we love sushi).
    I went through a little withdrawal, but have been doing supplements - it wasn't too bad.
    Now, 2 weeks into my 100% PB, I have better energy, my muscles and joints are not aching as much, my weight is dropping (I think- no scale for a month) and I feel better.

PB is a lifestyle... and a process. If you can get your mind to understand it, you can get your body to follow... and it isn't like if you screw up once, you wrecked everything - you haven't. Just get back to PB the next meal.

Good luck!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schadowrider View Post
    If it's a good whisky (single malt Scotch being my fav, but also like a nice bourbon or Irish whiskey on occasion) I add just a little bit of water. Used to drink it straight, but learned at a scotch tasting how a little water really opens up the nose; also learned there's no real "right" way to drink it, other than however you enjoy it!
    I don't drink whiskey. I drink rum, or used to. However, rum and coke is sugar with a side of sugar - very bad from a primal perspective so now I'm switching to scotch. The few times I've had whiskey I've had it with coke but now thats a no go so I need another way to drink whiskey. Also I am a student so nothing but the cheapest whiskey for me unfortunately.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Also I am a student so nothing but the cheapest whiskey for me unfortunately.
    Drink bad whiskey straight. Guaranteed to minimize your alcohol consumption.

Like Schadow, I drink my (good) whiskey straight, or sometimes on the rocks if it's a warm evening. Bliss.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Before going low-carb, my fav drink was whisky (Wild Turkey) with a splash of amaretto, a splash of sweet & sour, and diet ginger ale. I've switched to just Wild Turkey and diet ginger ale on ice. (that's the only diet soda I drink now). I've been progressively cutting out gluten, sugar, carbs, and processed foods since January, and this is my last and best indulgence. next step - drink LESS of it. I tried mixing it with club soda but it's just not the same...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12