Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afternoon slump and grump. page

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member

Afternoon slump and grump.

Shop Now
    I've been able to find threads on the slump part but I still have questions.

Every afternoon, I become tired and grumpy around 3:00. It's very irritating. I didn't just get done with a big meal (b/c that'd explain the sleepiness part on my behalf).

Just frustrated and exasperated with everything during these hrs of the afternoon slump. But why am I feeling like this (both before primal and now, although today is only day 3 so maybe not enough time to have changed yet?).

I didn't eat until 12 and had some pork skins at 1 b/c I felt hungry still and it didn't look like I'd had enough fat (according to paleotrack).

I'm making another cup of coffee (I've had two) to help get me over the slump. I always either drink more coffee or take a nap.

Could it still be that my body is processing bad stuff out of my body?
    Could it be the coffee making me crash?
    Could it be.... I have no idea what...? I've been like this since I was a preteen. I have always hated midafternoon.... I want that to change.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

otzi Guest
    I used to crash around 3pm, too. Always felt like I needed a power nap, and took one most days. I think in my case it was a combination of poor sleep from sleep apnea, hypothyroid, poor blood glucose control, and eating way too many carbs all day.

It took about 3 months of primal eating and 40 pounds loss to get over it. I now feel like a champ, sleep all night and never nod off in the evenings.

I remember feeling panic if I had to drive more than an hour, I'd need 2-3 Red Bulls an hour just to keep awake and I'd still catch myself 'dodging punches' while driving.

If you've only been at this a couple weeks, give it time. Have you had your bloodwork checked? Fasting Glucose OK?

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I've never really crashed in the afternoon. Coffee helps. You might try aspirin to help your cells become more oxygenated. A late afternoon walk outside helps sometimes too.

You could also drink something yummy like Red Bull and have string cheese with it.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I used to crash around 3pm, too. Always felt like I needed a power nap, and took one most days. I think in my case it was a combination of poor sleep from sleep apnea, hypothyroid, poor blood glucose control, and eating way too many carbs all day.

It took about 3 months of primal eating and 40 pounds loss to get over it. I now feel like a champ, sleep all night and never nod off in the evenings.

I remember feeling panic if I had to drive more than an hour, I'd need 2-3 Red Bulls an hour just to keep awake and I'd still catch myself 'dodging punches' while driving.

If you've only been at this a couple weeks, give it time. Have you had your bloodwork checked? Fasting Glucose OK?
    I slept 8.5hr, no sleep apnea, no thyroid issue, blood glucose could be an issue, although I'm not sure what affects that. My carbs are low, 37g today.

It may just take a while for me to adjust too, I'll just power through it.

The driving - NO WAY, I barely drive anywhere because I'm notorious for falling asleep at the wheel! I even had to stop for redbulls when pregnant with #2 so I wouldn't crash That would be awesome if this will be something that changes in my life... wow, so cool!

Nope, haven't had bloodwork checked. Hubby has new job and ins. won't start till Jan.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post

You could also drink something yummy like Red Bull and have string cheese with it.
    Say wut? I thought those were total no-goes! I cut out energy drinks and dairy (except butter).
    Earthy Mama's Journal

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthy Mama View Post
    Say wut? I thought those were total no-goes! I cut out energy drinks and dairy (except butter).
    I didn't drink energy drinks for years, wasn't any better off.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthy Mama View Post
    I slept 8.5hr, no sleep apnea, no thyroid issue, blood glucose could be an issue, although I'm not sure what affects that. My carbs are low, 37g today.

It may just take a while for me to adjust too, I'll just power through it.

The driving - NO WAY, I barely drive anywhere because I'm notorious for falling asleep at the wheel! I even had to stop for redbulls when pregnant with #2 so I wouldn't crash That would be awesome if this will be something that changes in my life... wow, so cool!

Nope, haven't had bloodwork checked. Hubby has new job and ins. won't start till Jan.
    In general, what kind of shape are you in? On any meds, lots of weight to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    In general, what kind of shape are you in? On any meds, lots of weight to lose?
    Lead a sedentary lifestyle (but gradually changing that). I do not take any medication (only ibuprofen for the very rare headache). I do have weight to lose. I'm 155 and I need to get to around 115. I'm just a hair under 5ft tall.

edit: female, obviously by my username and 26yrs old
    Earthy Mama's Journal

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I am famous for my midday slump (from 1.30 until 3.30) AND falling asleep behind the wheel... and I can tell you that Primal helps with both. I have been at this since May 1 of this year. It took a couple of months to take hold, though. My advice - hang in there, it should happen for you, too. I take along a small ice water all the time for sipping stuff and extra water (which I chronically underdrink, honestly), that helps, too.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If you're going to drink energy drinks (which from your post I doubt you would), you might as well just enjoy a good cup of coffee. People who work full-time, and most of us do, don't have the luxury of listening to the beat of their own personal circadian rhythms.

Figure if you have to be up at 6am to get ready for work, by 3pm you've been awake for nine hours. Unless your job is something you absolutely love, or something that keeps you very intellectually stimulated, it seems pretty normal that you'd slump or get cranky.

As for falling asleep behind the wheel, that's a whole other thing. Even driving across country where there was miles and miles (and miles) of flat uninteresting driving, it's never happened to me (knock on wood). But if I even blinked a few times, or I felt that "road hypnosis" thing coming on, I'd pull over for the night. Better to get to my destination even a day late than to not get there at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast