Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just need to vent...mum's an RD and has been lecturing me page 3

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    Still, I can't help but think of the impact your mom could have in her position if you did manage to convert her. Don't give up on that possibility. Like the post by Timothy yesterday, being a good example is powerful testimony. Best of luck!

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    Do people really get this reaction? I told people about how I prefer to eat, and the most they tell me is "ok, cool..." Or "so... Lots of meat? I like!"
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Parents are the worst. I was a vegetarian for ten years, and I was harangued continuously (in a good-natured, joking way). It seems to me that eating habits are a fundamental part of family culture, and if you stray, it's as if you joined a radical religious cult.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifla View Post
    Parents are the worst. I was a vegetarian for ten years, and I was harangued continuously (in a good-natured, joking way). It seems to me that eating habits are a fundamental part of family culture, and if you stray, it's as if you joined a radical religious cult.
    You mean it's not?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Reading this and other patent and family related posts make me so grateful for mine. They've put up with all my food idiosyncrasies throughout the years with tolerance and no questions asked, and no protests until my weight got far too low. And they still take my advice on nutrition when I try to explain to them the difference between good and bad fats. I've even got them eating butter and coconut oil.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!! My falling-apart-at-the-seams old man did/does this one... Every cold I caught as a veg meant that I should just eat BEEF, but I caught the colds because I was working at a daycare with 30 snotty, drippy toddlers at the time. Some immune herbs and better hand washing habits on my part took care of that. My father wasn't nice about it though.

Now, I'm going to die tonight if I do not get the saturated fat out and finally eat some bread already.

My father has actually come out and said it straight up - "you weren't raised like this - you are only doing this to be different".

And this from the guy who still smokes daily, even after a quad bypass, a heart attack, a good handful of stents, a recent major vascular leg surgery that replaced his biological tissue with a long length of rubber tubing, a knee replacement, several more aneurisms that are threatening to blow, and no own teeth. And - I catch shit for not having "proper" groceries in the house, like Morton salt, Parkay margarine, white bread, white sugar, and classic coke (we have sea salt, butter, no bread, local honey, and Knudsen spritzers/Izzy sodas).

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    You mean it's not?
    Vegetarianism may well be like a religious cult. I don't have any vegetarians in my life at the moment.

I have already been told that I am in a cult with Primal lifestyle! But I don't care. I am getting good results, and I don't have to listen to anyone else. Hearing it from parents is particularly difficult, though.

I have teenagers and I am cooking healthy for them, but when their dad is around, they eat nothing but junk...pizza and burgers. They know my stand but I am very careful not to lecture or cajole them. Guilt and pressure are not helpful. I am confident that they will eventually come around to voluntarily choosing and making the effort required to eat wisely.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    You mean it's not?
    No more so than being paleo/primal

Really, I was a vegetarian before going primal and I was not at all "cultish" about it. I just didn't want to eat animals anymore (and at the time was pretty convinced that humans don't need to eat meat... but that's another story). I was no more evangelical over that lifestyle than I am over this. I usually keep pretty quiet about my dietary choices except where I have to tell people what I can/can't eat.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Vegetarianism may well be like a religious cult. I don't have any vegetarians in my life at the moment.

I have already been told that I am in a cult with Primal lifestyle! But I don't care. I am getting good results, and I don't have to listen to anyone else. Hearing it from parents is particularly difficult, though.

I have teenagers and I am cooking healthy for them, but when their dad is around, they eat nothing but junk...pizza and burgers. They know my stand but I am very careful not to lecture or cajole them. Guilt and pressure are not helpful. I am confident that they will eventually come around to voluntarily choosing and making the effort required to eat wisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    No more so than being paleo/primal

Really, I was a vegetarian before going primal and I was not at all "cultish" about it. I just didn't want to eat animals anymore (and at the time was pretty convinced that humans don't need to eat meat... but that's another story). I was no more evangelical over that lifestyle than I am over this. I usually keep pretty quiet about my dietary choices except where I have to tell people what I can/can't eat.
    Really~ it was a joke! Haven't you noticed, anytime anyone eats or in any other way behaves differently from CW, *it's a cult*? Maybe not so funny~ almost pathetic, actually, like man's right to individuality is dying.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe not so funny~ almost pathetic, actually, like man's right to individuality is dying.
    This is very true. I tend to blame the media...for this reason, I have cut out watching TV, except at the gym, where 20 TV's are lined up in front of the treadmills.

My other cult was Montessori...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast