Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Banana Walnut Bread page 3

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I just bought some coconut flour. Do you think this recipe would work with that instead of almond flour?
    No. Coconut flour and almond flour are night-and-day different.

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randallfloyd View Post
    Could someone please tell me how much almond flour to use. The OP recipe has 'cups' as a measurement. I'm new to cooking and not sure how much to use.

Also, how will too much/too little flour affect the outcome of the cake?

Thanks!
    Here is the recipe again:

2 Eggs
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 Cup Melted Butter
    2 Cups of Almond Flour
    Pinch of Sea Salt
    2 ripe/over ripe bananas
    3/4 cup crushed walnuts

Does that answer your question?

As to the question on using blanched or natural almond flour, I've purchased the blanched per Elana's Pantry suggestion. I've only used it twice. I made one of her recipes with Bob's Red Mill "blanched almond" flour but it did not work in her recipe, so I gave in and purchased the Honey... brand she recommends.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    I'm guessing you are needing metric conversions? Here is a cool site you can convert almost anything.

For example, 1 US cup is 236ml metric.

Almond flour is very moist, so adding a little much shouldn't be a problem. If you add half again as much though, it might make it bland.

I buy blanched.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    What a disaster that was. It came out flat, dense and tasteless, nothing like the OP's. It was my first cake though, so I won't beat myself up just yet.

Gonna try it another day.. Think it would be good with some blueberries as well.

Second it1958. Coconut flour is very dry and will soak up moisture like a sponge. If you were to try with coconut, you would want to use half as much as the recipe calls for. I say give it a try -- after all, you're not risking much in the way of ingredients.

ineverlose is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuousrn View Post
    Thanks for the recipe. I added a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of vanilla ....my family loves it!
    This sounds like a great idea! This recipe is great...one of my favorites so far (as far as "treats" go) But I'll definitely try adding some vanilla and cinnamon next time! Thanks for the tip.

runningwild is offline Senior Member
    Wow wow wow I made this today and added sultanas instead of walnuts as I had run out. It was amazing and so nice to have a banana cake that I can eat. I make a regular banana pecan tea bread for my fiancée each week and I always feel jelous... Not any more!!
    Thanks

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    After the disappointment of last week I made this again and it was heavenly

This time I used 3 eggs, approx. 180 grams almond flour, big handful of raisins, tablespoon of vanilla, lots of cinnamon and a tablespoon of honey.

Came out quite gooey in the middle, but browned on top. Anyone else like their cakes a little underdone? In fact, not cooked at all was delicious. I think next time I'll freeze a portion of the mix for a post workout snack

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I used the almond meal from Trader Joes, and it was very delicate. It didn't come out of the pan very well - some of it stuck, so I will make sure next time to add extra butter to the pan. And then it fell apart on my plate. While it was very tasty, I think next time I would bake in my mini-muffin tins and then pop them in the freezer. The flavor was excellent, but mine was so delicate.

Oh, and I added about a tsp of cinnamon and some pure vanilla extract.

Definitely worth a do-over and a little tweaking until I get my version right.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast