Thread: Ex-Vegetarian page

Noni56 is offline Junior Member

Ex-Vegetarian

Primal Fuel
    I was vegetarian for about 5 years, and now I'm trying to switch over to primal. I thought I would be more hesitant...but eating meat again was about as easy as it was to stop. Beef doesn't taste very good, but fish is pretty delicious. The problem is I'm experiencing nausea and having trouble pin-pointing the source...

I eat meat almost daily so I'm wondering if it's just taking my body a little time to adjust. There was one day where I definitely had too much and it seriously upset my stomach. But...it's been about a week now, I feel like my digestive system should be accustomed to it? I wasn't even vegetarian for that long. >_>

I'm still eating grains (I wanted to reincorporate meat before I made another big change and dropped grains). Maybe I need to just take the plunge and cut them and see if that's what it was (though I don't recall them causing nausea before).

Lastly it could be my birth control pill... >_< When I was taking it in the mornings I'd have a lot of nausea in the afternoon. Now I take it at night before bed and I don't feel nearly as bad, but maybe it's still causing problems. It's hard to tell.

Soooo....yeah. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated... XD

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I couldn't say on the nausea -- it could have lots of causes. Perhaps cut the grains and see what happens. I went vegetarian-to-paleo over a week, basically finishing off the grains we had. I didn't have any nausea issues, though.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I went from several years as a vegan, to paleo, overnight.

I took a bunch of probiotics, and got into drinking kombucha, and eating saurkraut, in order to support my digestion, as the flora and fauna in there was not geared for animal foods, but for massive amounts of grains and plants.

It went away after a couple of weeks, and seems like normal now.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    My brother had some issues readjusting to eating meat after several years of vegetarianism. Your body will adapt reasonably quickly, but it might be good to avoid overdoing it for the first week or two. I've heard of some people having success with taking an enzyme supplement while they adjust.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

jaczor is offline Member
    Perhaps you could try to cut grains and go 100% paleo for a couple of days to see how your body responds, it's worth a try.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    If you are eating a lot of meat, you may want to add gelatin, which is a good source of protein and an easy way to add protein back in to your diet:
    Great Lakes Gelatin | Collagen Joint Care for Consumers

Noni56 is offline Junior Member
    Thankyou everyone!!

I'm going to try probiotics (happen to have some yogurt already) and eating meat only once a day. I'll wait a week and see if my body adjusts.

If I'm still experiencing nausea, I'll drop grains altogether and see what happens.

@fierce - Just had gelatin yesterday!

shadoemckee is offline Junior Member
    I was vegetarian from age 15 to 22 and 24 to 28. I returned to Vegetarianism in 2010 and did 6 months last year exploring veganism. I never had a stomach ache. I've been Primal for about a month and went into NK a week ago to try it on for size. I have extreme nausea every day so far. SOmetimes I wake up with it and sometimes it comes on after a large dinner. Can't pinpoint the cause, possibly probiotic related, but it is easing up, I've noticed improvement every day, and it helps to eat a small meal. Grains and legumes always messed up my guts. They were easy to ditch. It's been a while since you posted this, how are you doing with it now?

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Probiotics and fermented foods, definitely. Also try taking some enzymes with your food, like papaya or pineapple enzymes, to help digest the animal protein. Your body will adjust quickly, don't worry.