Thread: The Day After a Carb Binge page

Madame P is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

So after 6 weeks of strict, clean Primal Eating, last night I indulged at a special dinner that included 2 slices of bread, a full plate of buttered pasta with wine sauce, 3 pieces of good cheese smeared on more bread, and 3 glasses of wine. I ate lightly earlier in the day in anticipation. Before I went primal, I was insulin resistant, so my body was quickly reeling but it was deliciously worth it.

I'm curious about what others think: what should one eat the day after a feast of refined carbs and alcohol? Should I fast, eat lightly, or return to my usual bounty of meat and veggies? I felt ill when I woke up, and not very hungry, but I wonder if my body is in need of real sustenance.

And for future binges (not that I plan on doing this regularly), what should I do in preparation for a refined carb-filled dinner? Should I fast?

Clint is offline Senior Member

Most people here, myself included, believe that a short fast (12-18 hours) is good for "reseting" yourself for Primal living again after a binge. If you're not feeling hungry, than don't force the issue, just roll with it!

Keep in mind, however, that b/c of the quickly used, processed carbs you had to eat, you're body might feel "raveonous" for more. If that is the case and you absolutely can't stand the feeling, then by all means, eat. Just make the meal 100% Primal and you'll be just fine.

I'm guessing people are probably sick of hearing this piece of advice but, "Do what works for you". I know that it seems like some blanket, cop-out response, but it does hold true. I hope this helps!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

The day before yesterday, I had a carb binge... my parents sent me a care package and in it was some delicious candy, which I inhaled.

Yesterday I fasted until 7pm and felt much better.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Popa Murph Guest

I agree with the others. 16-18 hour fasts work wonders.

I've done my fair share of carb binges and I always feel like death the next morning, especially if any alcohol was involved. The feeling usually last longer the next day if I eat any food that morning. Now I'll usually have a shot of barley grass and lots of water. Then a small meal that night.

Of course it's always better not to binge :-)

dalvarez Guest

Glad I came across this post...had a rough one yesterday!

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

...eating one high calorie (1600kcal) meal a day counts as "fast" right? Abit off topic but is that sustainable?

And I vote fast of up to 36-48 hours depending on how much you ate Madame P

Crystal W. Guest

Crystal W. Guest

PrimalCon New York