Thread: The Different Oils page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

The Different Oils

Shop Now
    You know, the 'journals' on the forum make it quite hard to search for any topic to see if its been covered. Sorry for any repeats.

However, my question is about the vegetable oils. Lovely oils and what you think of them. Its pretty easy to pick up on everyone's take of the animal oils, but the world of vegetables-based fats leaves me more than curious. So what do you think of them?
    Which ones won't you eat and why? Canola? Soybean?
    What do you think of the others? Grapeseed, Hazelnut, the Truffles? Macadamia, Pecan, Walnut, and Sesame? Avocado, Olive, and Pine Nut? MORE?? How do they all compare to the holy coconut oil and are there any that you WOULD use for hot cooking?

Thanks guys. This should be interesting

-写

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    In case you haven't been here yet (to see what Mr. Sisson has to say on the topic - his Definitive Guide to Oils):

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm big on EVOO and virgin coconut oil. I use the EVOO more that coconut because coconut oil has a distinct coconut flavor and I don't always want that. I would eat a spoon of coconut oil though and I won't do that with EVOO.
    Vegetable oils are partially hydrogenated and avoid as much as I can. I probably still get some of these when I eat out, but EVOO is a much better choice for me when I'm cooking.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    I started to get a little lazy, and was using pre-made salad dressing for awhile. My weight loss not only stalled, but I actually started putting ON a little weight. A few days ago I decided to clean up my act, and have returned to cooking in CO and ghee only, and using EVOO for my salads. I've lost 6-1/2 pounds of nasty bloat-weight.

I don't know if it was the crappy oils in the dressing, the salt, or something else that was causing this, but I feel reborn :-D
    ETA: Sheesh. I have been doing this long enough to KNOW better...

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Coconut and olive is all I use, mainly Coconut because of the MCTs and SCTs, the others all have their benefits in my opinion, but they don't outweigh the cost/negatives IMO (not talking ghee or butter)

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I'm big on EVOO and virgin coconut oil. I use the EVOO more that coconut because coconut oil has a distinct coconut flavor and I don't always want that. I would eat a spoon of coconut oil though and I won't do that with EVOO.
    Those are the non-animal oils we tend to use the most as well (I keep a teaspoon and a jar of unrefined coconut oil at my desk at work ). Also occasionally will add some nice walnut oil to our salad dressing -- real nice flavor! Looking forward to trying some others out (esp. macadamia nut oil).

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I use olive oil and coconut oil for cooking. I bought a bottle of sunflower seed oil for a specific purpose and now I've got a lot left over... haven't done much with it yet, but I do plan on using it eventually.

I do use sesame oil occasionally, usually when a recipe calls for it, but try to keep its cooking time/temp to a minimum. I buy strongly flavored EVOOs for salad dressings and whatnot.

I don't use canola oil or oils made from beans/legumes (including peanuts) or corn. And I don't think I would ever use walnut oil just because I don't like the taste of walnuts. =P

As for the rest, I doubt I'd buy them, but I wouldn't mind eating something that someone else cooked in them.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i use ghee, butter, and beef fat for cooking... rarely use EVOO and coconut oil usually goes on my hair and skin lol

sebzzz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    i use ghee, butter, and beef fat for cooking... rarely use EVOO and coconut oil usually goes on my hair and skin lol
    Same for me here. Tallow, lard and duck fat are the main ones. I'll drip some EVOO from time to time on top of it all. Reason why I'm slacking on the coconut oil is because I have candida overgrowth problems and therefore need lots of probiotics and I discovered that probiotics don't do their job when I consume lots of coconut oil. Maybe the antifungal properties of coconut oil killing the probiotic.

It is often advertised as good to eliminate candida, but what kills candida will also kill good bacteria, so sometimes it's not the best choice.

As a bonus, lard, tallow and duck fat is dirt cheap. I can even get some lamb and veal fat witch are good additions.
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    sebzzz: The challenge with candida infestation is glycemic index. Coconut is pretty low. So I don't know why ingesting coconut in any form would be a problem. Are you familiar with Doug Kaufmann and his phase 1 diet? It is an anti-fungal program and it works.

The diet:
    Grass fed beef, chicken, fish
    • Eggs
    • Nuts, except pistachios and peanuts
    • Vegetables, but no corn, potatoes or mushrooms
    • Carrot juices w/other veggies, water, herbal teas
    • Green apples, berries, grapefruit, lemon, lime, avocados
    • Plain yogurt, real butter