Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength training for SIZE & Primal lifestyle page

misterbulgarin is offline Junior Member

Strength training for SIZE & Primal lifestyle

I've always known, to gain muscle mass, you need a calory surplus. I have been 'bulking' (Eating a bit more than I need) to fuel my workouts. I cant imagine shifting the weights I lift at the minute on an empty stomach or reduced calories. Waking up to a 100kg front squat? good gosh....

I am plodding away quite happily, I've had a week rest and now Ive got a good 12 weeks to progress again. I've cut out the HIIT/Cardio to focus purely on Strength training, but I feel bulky / flabby. Strength trainin has a great metabolic effect but nothin compares to the good feelin of a intense cardio sesh.

Should I look into IF'ing instead of sprints/HIIT??. I love sprints/hiit but they mess up recovery big time. For someone who wants mass, sprints/hiit will be eatin my kcals. Or should I jus become a flabby bulky strength trainer like the dudes at the gym......

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    We can't tell you what you should become. I personally like balance... the ability to squat, sprint and stretch
    ... good strength to weight ratio.

If your only focus is mass, then maybe do 3 strength sessions a week and 1 sprint session. If you're new to primal, you will notice your recovery ability increases...

Ive been Primal for a month or two now (granted the weekends are usually alcoholic slobber knockers).

I love sprinting and I LOVE tabata, but I dont want to over train or injure myself. Ill try one session a week just to see, maybe tuesday at the beginning of the week. that should shake up the body, and even induce better recovery due to 'the blood flow' (As general as that may sound)

RezH is offline Senior Member
    How are you "flabby" at less than 100g carbs per day?

As1459 is offline Junior Member
    I know this isn't the nutrition forum but I figured it was a good place to get some answers...Ever since I have gone primal which has been since april my workouts have suffered, I find that I have no energy, my recovery is horrible. I was following precision nutrition for a little over a year and basically it's primal with the addition of starchy carbs around the workout period. So no starchy carbs if no workout.

Literally this is the only thing that has changed for me. I have increased my healthy fats which I was already eating, my protein is roughly the same. I just don't get why I am not recovering. I workout less now and rest more and my workouts are still suffering.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by As1459 View Post
    I know this isn't the nutrition forum but I figured it was a good place to get some answers...Ever since I have gone primal which has been since april my workouts have suffered, I find that I have no energy, my recovery is horrible. I was following precision nutrition for a little over a year and basically it's primal with the addition of starchy carbs around the workout period. So no starchy carbs if no workout.

Literally this is the only thing that has changed for me. I have increased my healthy fats which I was already eating, my protein is roughly the same. I just don't get why I am not recovering. I workout less now and rest more and my workouts are still suffering.
    If that's just been a few weeks then most likely you have the low carb flu. Mine lasted around a week or so, but I've heard of others having it for more like a month. Once it passes your energy levels will rebound and you will feel much better. In the mean time, yes works do suffer some. Your body needs time to adjust from burning the carbs for fuel to running on fat.

As1459 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    If that's just been a few weeks then most likely you have the low carb flu. Mine lasted around a week or so, but I've heard of others having it for more like a month. Once it passes your energy levels will rebound and you will feel much better. In the mean time, yes works do suffer some. Your body needs time to adjust from burning the carbs for fuel to running on fat.
    I meant to say that it's been since january and I am still dragging. I have no idea. I actually have been sick more since switching to a pb lifestyle then I have in the last 2 years. Any suggestions?

Vick is offline Senior Member
    misterbulgarin

Calories really don't add to muscle mass. Muscles increase in size when the body is faced with a heavy load and it triggers a metabolic response. This then requires "protein" for lack of a better term to feed the bodies desire to grow muscle tissue and the time to allow the body to grow muscle tissue.

I 've been do my weekly workout on a minimum of 15 hours of fasting and I still have had great success.

However, strength training is completely different to muscle growth. Which are you really interested in?

Functional Strength Training, to lift heavy weights..to produce a natural, strong build (as I am getting and have maintained , but lookin to improve)

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your training program could be broken down into 2 considerations.

The first is sequential stimulation. This is a heavy loading process that triggers all of your muscle fibre types in sequence. When applied correctly inroad occurs. This micro trauma at the cellular level will trigger adaptation in the body. If you allow time, the body will heal then grow more muscle to so that micro trauma doesn't occur at that load again. This type of training will add muscle tissue.

The second is synaptic facilitation. This is about using intense stimulation to strengthen the nerve impulses to the muscles making them more efficient. The key to this stimulation is repetition. This type of training gives you your functional strength.

You should keep notes and go to the gym with a plan. You should experience an increase in load or time under load with each trip. If you don't then it is probably a sign that you returned to soon.

Once you have the goal you can fine tune your program to meet the needs of muscle growth or synaptic facilitation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast