Thread: Rower trying to lose weight page

Rocket Roy is offline Junior Member

Rower trying to lose weight

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Guy's,

I'm a lwt sculler that has ballooned up to 181 lbs and I need to lose 16 lbs to get back to 165 the Indoor rowing lwt limit. I hope this site will do the trick. I have been on Mark's lifestyle since Dec 10th and all is going well so far.

Any tips about how to eat Paleo and still do my hard training would be most welcome. I typically do a 30 mins at 1.52 pace on the indoor rower one day followed by an easy day of 30 mins at 2.00 pace.

Cheers Roy

russellester is offline Banned
    If you want to lose weight in a healthy way then you must make regular exercise an integral part of your weight loss plan.

Quote Originally Posted by russellester View Post
    If you want to lose weight in a healthy way then you must make regular exercise an integral part of your weight loss plan.
    I workout 6 days a week.

What can I eat to give me the energy to do this at 1 hard day followed by an easy day?

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Roy View Post
    I workout 6 days a week.

What can I eat to give me the energy to do this at 1 hard day followed by an easy day?
    That comment was spam creating a backlink for SEO. Ignore it.

Since you are already clearly in decent shape, start weighing your food. Find out exactly what you are eating. Got an example of a day's worth of eating you can share?
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Sure thanks,

Food journal for the Paleo Diet - PaleoTrack

Can you click on that link to my first day with the paleo? Does it open?

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Roy View Post
    Any tips about how to eat Paleo and still do my hard training would be most welcome.
    Roy, go for flat out pace. Along the lines of 30 secs flat out, rest 30 secs flat out, rest and another 30 secs flat out. It is high intensity that will bring best results for least time/effort. You should only need to do this three times a week. Then I would do some general body weight work like press ups, dips, pull ups, chins and squats as a minimum. You can vary the placement of hands to work different muscles. With squats, I put a sandbag and other weight into a rucksack. For low intensity, I walk to town and carry the shopping home in a rucksack five days a week. You will notice the best sprinters have upper body strength as well as big thighs. As a rowist, you'll of necessity have both but I suspect you will benefit from using even more muscles in varying circumstances.

IMHO, the idea is to get the greatest benefit from the least effort. If you think back to hunter gatherers, they would expend as little energy as possible to bring home the bacon. But, they had to be able to fight off animals that wanted to eat them or be able to run down and/or overcome food animals that may be larger than them. Have a look on Youtube for Dr Michael Mosely (SP?) and high intensity training. In March I was way overweight and didn't exercise much. I have lost over four stone and don't exercise much more now according to Conventional Wisdom. However, my resting pulse has gone from low 60ies to low 40ies because of the exercise. Blood pressure has gone from taking two different medications to normal BP with no pills because of the weight loss.

Bottom line for me is, do what works best for you as an individual.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Thanks Nigel, I agree with all you say.

What food would give me most energy do you think for say a 5,000m row? Since starting the new way of life I find I am down on energy reserves.

Maradevale is offline Junior Member
    If you burn 500 more calories than you eat every day for a week, you should lose about 1-2 pounds.

If you want to lose weight faster, you'll need to eat less and exercise more.

For instance, if you take in 1,050 to 1,200 calories a day, and exercise for one hour per day, you could lose 3-5 pounds in the first week, or more if you weigh more than 250 pounds. It's very important not to cut calories any further -- that's dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradevale View Post
    If you burn 500 more calories than you eat every day for a week, you should lose about 1-2 pounds.

If you want to lose weight faster, you'll need to eat less and exercise more.

For instance, if you take in 1,050 to 1,200 calories a day, and exercise for one hour per day, you could lose 3-5 pounds in the first week, or more if you weigh more than 250 pounds. It's very important not to cut calories any further -- that's dangerous.
    Ok thanks. I weigh 180.8 lbs down from 183.8 lbs when I started this on 10/Dec/12. I need to get to 165lbs.

So far Mark's guide lines are working.

I'm interested to know which carbs are best to eat to give energy for my training. Anyone?

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that we should be burning fat, not carbs/sugars. I only exercise for short intense periods. After such a workout I will eat a 200g tin of herring in mustard sauce( Lidl), radishes, pickled beetroot (Lidl), pickled red cabbage (Aldi), cucumber, tomato and olives, with a clementine as afters. I prepare the food before I exercise and then feed my face within minutes of finishing. I am not losing weight at present and that is hopefully because I am putting on muscle while losing flab.

I suspect weightshifters will advise on carbs to protein etc ratios.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.