Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still confused, sorry! page

PrimalMumUK is offline Junior Member

Still confused, sorry!

Shop Now
    So...starches-do you only need to limit them if you are trying to lose weight?

My question really is about /for my children. None of them are overweight, all on primal but they seem to be hungry a lot!
    They eat fruit, nuts, seeds and olives for snacks.

Can you give me some good examples of dinners for kids please?!

Last night we had beef chilli and sweet potato chips, they all loved it and the littlest slept through the night WOO HOO!
    But, I can't give them sweet potato everyday... So ideas please
    Thanks all, don't want to damage their growth etc because I'm unimformed. I can't seem to find much online about kids and paleo apart from 'baked goods'. Which I think are fine sometimes, but not something I want to use to fill them up with everyday.

Greenbeast is online now Senior Member
    if you fill them up with a decent selection of veg they'll be getting their essentials.
    I do mash more than before but it's carrot, sweet potato, swede and parsnip or any combo of those ingredients, it is so much tastier than mash potato!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry too much. You could try alternating high fat meals one day and high carb meals the next just to provide a little variety.

At this point, as long as it's primal, and none of them are overweight or have other issues, then I don't see why you can't let 'em have it once in a while.

Haha I wouldn't worry too much if they weren't pestering me for food all the time.
    They are like a little nest of birds sqeaking at me all day!!
    We do a lot of 'root mashes' already.
    They always used to have a big bowl of porridge for breakfast made with oats or buckwheat and rice and rice milk-this at least used to fill them up for hours. Now we have eggs and bacon or plantain pancakes but within an hour they're asking for something else!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    We don't really carb-up the kids delibratly, however, the 4 year old eats a LOT of fruit, and I mean A FREAKING LOT, She has been know to have 4 peices before breakfast. We usally buy a kilo of bananas, a bag of apples, a bag of oranges and 1 or 2 other bags of fruit or double up on the apples. Me and the Mrs rarely (never most weeks) eat fruit yet it all goes very quickly.

She also eats quite a lot of cashew nuts, and dried fruit, which for me are a bit carby, but fine for active skinny ass little ones.

White rice and white potatoes are perfectly 'safe' straight cheap carbs to bulk up meals cheaply for little ones as long as they are getting all their veggies too.

We also eat a lot of root veggies, for example of cottage pie will have parnsips, carrots and sometimes sweed in the mix and we'll do a sweet potatoe mash for the top, or if we have roast chicken portions I'll do a massive tray of roasted carrots, parnsips and anything else we've got in, along with leeks, broccoli, cauli, sprouts, onions (really what-ever is in the fridge/veggie basket)

The little one also LOVES crips a massive ammount, and though they are not optimal we do get her a pack of salt your own every week from, really it's only a bit of sunflower oil and potatoes, there are worse things)

She also has a mug of warm milk with camonile tea, honey and vannilla every night before bed, so there's sugar there too, and we get a carton of fruit jucie most weeks so she has that watered down too.

So she gets plenty of carbs and natural sugars as part of her diet, eats the same main meals as us and is still full of beans and lean and healthy

Hope that helps in some way.

ETA: in response to your orginal question, yes you only need to reduce healthy carbs/starces if you are trying to lose weight (it's a bit more complicated than that for further reading see this entire forum and posts by chocotaco arguing for carbs )
    I would argue that the Standard UK diet of several servings of whole grains is nutitionally lacking for anyone compared to a primal diet of tons of veggies, healthy fat and tasty aminals, and white flour and refined sugar need to be off the menu 99% of the time for everyone.
    Last edited by Tribal Rob; 12-14-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Added stufff
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

lordgrover is offline Member
    I'm no expert but I don't think potatoes and rice have suddenly become poisonous.
    IMO a few pots or a little rice will do no harm, especially as they are getting much better fish, meat and veg than your average punter.

I have no kids and little experience with primal/paleo stuff so you can take that with a pinch of salt.

My point was kind of along the lines of, carbs are fine as long as they are from primal sources, but you don't have to worry about having them at every meal. In fact, it may be better if you feed the youngsters on a high fat day/high carb day schedule because then you avoid certain issues that come from mixing your fats and carbs. Plus the research that shows that high fat meals increase satiety and look at the effectiveness of the spud diet too. It seems fat and protein fill you up well in isolation, and then carby foods too, in isolation. Mix 'em and you get hungry young ones again an hour later.

But, growing kids can't eat JUST carbs, or JUST fat and protein. So how to solve this? See above!

Ok so adding in white potatoes and white rice is ok sometimes for the kids?
    I thought they ate a lot of fruit already (1 banana, 1apple, another of in season fruit a day) plus normally dried apricots and dates, but maybe can up the fruit as well, they would love that. And yes they are all very active skinny beanpoles!

Both are fine, though potatoes are probably a slightly better choice, them not being grains and all.

Greenbeast is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i guess the problem with fruit is it's still full of sugar. But i don't know what kids need

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast