Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom weight scale suggestions page

freedom.please is offline Senior Member

Question Bathroom weight scale suggestions

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looking for an accurate bathroom scale that includes body fat%
    Good suggestions? Reasonably priced but reliable?

Thanks fellow MDAers

RayR22 is offline Junior Member
    Sounds dumb, but ditch the scale and stand in front of the mirror naked.... take pics and track it over the weeks. THATS the best way to track progress if you ask me, not weight which could have SO many variables.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Depends how much you have to lose - they can be helpful if you are losing fat fast - they were for me. But generally I agree with the poster above. Grok didn't have scales. Chuck whatever you have out the window.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a scale hater, but the body fat measuring scales are not accurate (for bf%)...not even close.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    No such thing,
    If you want to track body change, take photos, take take measurements etc....
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Vanbiesbrouck is offline Junior Member
    It is an enduring, and annoying, feature of this site that one person asks for help, and 4 people jump on that person for "doing it wrong". Clearly that person was asking because they want to use one, not because they were collecting smug responses. Yes, some people are happy without them, but do what works for you. If using a scale keeps that person motivated, big fking deal.

Was listening to LivingLaVidaLowCarb ep 627 today and two guys who each lost 100+lb each talked about how some of their best days losing weight were the days watching the scale tick from 400 down to 399 and 300 down to 299, because they saw their first digit change and it meant a lot to them. Who are we to shit on that? Not everyone would get that feeling from a picture, each week.

So, yeah, on the hilariously expensive & overcomplicated side, I use the fitbit Aria (Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale - Overview). It's $ 129, but what I like about it is that it's wifi, so every time I step on it it takes a measurement & sends it to the internet automatically, so I can hit my fitbit.com page (free) and it tracks the progress.

You could get the same result from a $ 30 scale and a pencil, but, I like the tech.

Philip Paul is offline Junior Member
    Two type of bathroom scales which are mostly used 1.Analog Bathroom Scale Analog mechanisms use the deflection of a spring to estimate the weight.The deflection is translated into the movement of the analog dial & 2nd is Digital Bathroom Scale which is based on Numbers you can measure the accurate weight with this Scale ...
    I will recommend you to purchase Digital Bathroom Scale but it's depends on you what Quality of Scale you would like to purchase Poor Quality or good Quality. But i will suggest you to contact a good Scales company for best quality Scale.
    Last edited by Philip Paul; 12-16-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I don't think electronic BF% calculators are accurate at giving your true percentage. All the ones I've seen ask for you to input age. If you change the age input the % can change a lot. That said, if you ignore the #% these devices give and use them as a tracking method for fat lost over time then sure go for it. They will tell you if you % is trending down. Whatever keeps you motivated.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    I don't think electronic BF% calculators are accurate at giving your true percentage. All the ones I've seen ask for you to input age. If you change the age input the % can change a lot. That said, if you ignore the #% these devices give and use them as a tracking method for fat lost over time then sure go for it. They will tell you if you % is trending down. Whatever keeps you motivated.
    I have to agree with this.

I do have a scale that measures bodyfat (it was a Weight Watchers scale from Target - something like $40, even though I'm not a WW person), and it's somewhat accurate, but not completely. I use it to watch for changes over the long haul, not day-to-day changes which probably aren't all that accurate. But if every week the number is lower and lower, that helps keep me motivated.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

MissMormie is offline Junior Member
    I'm with VanBies on the over the top Fitbit Aria Scale. It doesn't just track bodyfat % and weight it also automatically syncs it with the fitbit site so you can easily see changes over the weeks, months and years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast