Thread: I get hungry I get hungry I get hungry + different carb types page

superseiyan is offline Member

I get hungry I get hungry I get hungry + different carb types

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    After about 6-7 hours. Sometimes I think I'll be able to "skip" lunch but I won't. I get pangs of hunger.

Are there ways I should look to satiate myself better other than just increasing the quantity of food I'm eating? I try stuff like putting half&half in shakes in the morning, or eating 4 eggs with fetta cheese in them. Part of the problem might be I still struggle with variety--I've just discovered the simplicity of steaming though, so I'll try steaming and dousing the steamed vegetables with oils (butter, olive oil, etc).

Also somewhat related, what's the position here on tubers (potatoes, sweet potatoes, squashes) and fruits? Are the two in the same category as grains and sugars?

Note: As a reference point I'm in my late 20s, and I'm moderately, but consistently, active, I lift weights and do sprints/intervals (twice a week each, reasonably intensely each time).

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    What does a typical day's food look like? I get hungrier if I don't eat enough fat and protein.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Howdy superseiyan,
    First goku, gohan or trunks?

Why half and half? I would say use heavy cream if you are going to be putting things in your shake. How long have you been eating primally? What does a typical daily menu look like for ya?

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    It may be as simple as the fact that you body is used to having food at that time and therefore expecting it. Maybe try a gradual shift of lunch back an hour at a time. Re-train your body to not to expect food. I find missing breakfast much easier.

superseiyan is offline Member
    Interestingly, I do find skipping breakfast easier and have done it on occasion. However, that forces me to BUY lunch so economically it's easier to skip lunch....though psychologically (and possibly physiologically?) it's harder to skip it. Of course best is to carry lunch but with salads not being ideal to carry, and sandwiches being banned (the bread) it's not as easy as it was pre-Primal This is perhaps a discipline issue.

typical day?
    B: 3 eggs with cheese OR a protein shake with milk/frozen berries/sometimes half & half OR two sausages.
    L: Salads OR meat dish w/ hot veggie side.
    D: Same as above. An example of a meat dish would be two burger patties.
    After dinner: Glass of wine or mixed drink (rum'n'coke).
    I nibble on fruit here and there, usually after dinner or early in the morning.

That's my usual default pattern.

--Sometimes I'll have French fries at lunch, or sushi maybe once a week-our cafeteria is organic. Starches/conventional carbs as a main part of the meal are reduced to 2-3 meals per week at most.
    --Occasionally, I'll drop by the bakery for a nice slice of chocolate cake. Maybe every 10 days or so.

This morning my breakfast was chocolate milk with three tablespoons of half an half. I used 100% cocoa, and didn't add sugar, not the sugared chocolate mix. Already hungry though!

Someone said to use cream instead of half and half. Cream serves the same purpose?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
    typical day?
    B: 3 eggs with cheese OR a protein shake with milk/frozen berries/sometimes half & half OR two sausages.
    L: Salads OR meat dish w/ hot veggie side.
    D: Same as above. An example of a meat dish would be two burger patties.
    After dinner: Glass of wine or mixed drink (rum'n'coke).
    I nibble on fruit here and there, usually after dinner or early in the morning.

--Sometimes I'll have French fries at lunch, or sushi maybe once a week-our cafeteria is organic. Starches/conventional carbs as a main part of the meal are reduced to 2-3 meals per week at most.
    --Occasionally, I'll drop by the bakery for a nice slice of chocolate cake. Maybe every 10 days or so.

This morning my breakfast was chocolate milk with three tablespoons of half an half. I used 100% cocoa, and didn't add sugar, not the sugared chocolate mix. Already hungry though!

Someone said to use cream instead of half and half. Cream serves the same purpose?
    Ok, this helps. Some ideas:

Breakfast -- Make it bigger. Add protein and fat, not carbs. If you're going to use dairy, make it full-fat (cream, not half and half). Coconut milk would be better than dairy milk, as it's less insulinogenic and comes without the lactose and casein issues. Something like those 3 eggs PLUS the sausage is reasonable. Also, check your protein powder for sugar. It's best to avoid powdered stuff in favor of real food, regardless.

Mixed drinks -- Nuh-uh. No soda. Nope, not diet soda, either. Very appetite-stimulating and horrible for you on all imaginable levels. Just, no.

Nibble on fruit? -- What does this mean? A half cup of berries daily, or an apple and a banana and an orange every day? Many people find that fruit, particularly eaten alone, is appetite-stimulating. (It's sweet and yummy, and can even cause an insulin spike and resultant crash in some people.) Also, it adds a lot of carbs to your daily count, which can prevent you from transitioning to a fat-burning metabolism.

Starches and Sugar -- White potatoes and sushi, presumably with rice? Not primal. Lots of carbs. I'm not a potato Nazi, though I can't remember the last time I actually ate a white potato, but commercial french fries are never a good idea (dangerous oils, etc). A VERY active person who is maintaining, not trying to lose fat, can probably get away with a quality white potato dish once a week. Others, not so much.

As for the cake...self explanatory. "Treats" like that are poison. Every 10 days is quite frequent. This kind of thing should, for most people, be limited to very special occasions -- I'm talking about 4 times a year, not twice a month.

This morning's breakfast -- chocolate milk with half and half??? No wonder you're hungry at lunchtime, hon. That's a big dose of dairy (causes insulin spike) and sweet flavor (stimulates appetite) and not a lot of protein and fat.

Keep working on it. You have some of the principles, but read read read and you'll get a better feel for how to construct a filling and nourishing primal diet. I'm guessing that all the carbs in your diet, particularly the sugars (including milk sugars), are preventing you from transitioning to a fat-burning metabolism. Being a sugar-burner guarantees hunger crashes.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 04-16-2010 at 08:08 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    ^^^All that +

Nutrients. Ever notice when you eat out you're still hungry after the meal? That's because there's no nutrients in dead food. Make sure you're getting nutrient dense foods.

Second, ghrelin is entrained to be released at certain times, meaning if you eat at 6 PM for 3 weeks, and then want to start eating at 5, you're still going to get hungry at 6. So give it some time.

Otherwise, pay attention to the post above

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

MattyD is offline Member
    There's no harm in hunger pangs.

You went hunting and failed, suck it up, drink some water and eat a few hours later.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    MattyD, I totally agree with you! I have come to look forward to hunger pangs as a sure sign that my stomach is empty. Most people, living where food is abundant and it's simply a matter of choosing what to eat, have no familiarity with the empty stomach feeling. I like the Grok analogy and will remember next time I'm feeling hungry that I went hunting and failed, so it makes sense that I'll either go hungry or out hunting again.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I recently stopped eating lunch for convenience reasons, after being the type to eat 5+ times a day before going primal because I "get hungry a lot."

The first week was ROUGH, I'm not gonna lie. I was hungry all day long. But I just didn't eat. I knew I had eaten enough at breakfast that my body could safely and effectively get through the day (not to mention I'm carrying enough extra fat to last me quite a while, lol!), so I ignored the mental and physical signs of hunger as best I could. I'm referring to the empty grumbling stomach and immense urge to eat, which I see as calls that don't need to be "answered" right away.... if you're getting so hungry that you're weak/faint/dizzy, you probably shouldn't ignore it, I don't want to be responsible for you passing out at work. =]

Now it's gotten much easier, and it's such a relief and feeling of freedom to not be tied to food like I was! (I don't know for sure whether it just got easier mentally, or whether my body adjusted to it. I think some of both.)

Some of those breakfasts sound good, but it couldn't hurt to TRY adding in some more and see if it helps. My favorite breakfast is 2 slices of bacon, 2 eggs, and half an avocado (I'm smallish, 5'2" and 130lbs, so that's a lot of food for someone like me). Holds me over for the 12ish hours until dinner - I generally feel REALLY hungry around 10 hours. The more carbs I eat at breakfast, the harder it is to make it through... every time I eat fruit or a significant amount of dairy or nuts at breakfast I get hungry a lot earlier.
    Last edited by mayness; 04-16-2010 at 08:39 AM.