Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumb argument with my friend... Thoughts? page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Dumb argument with my friend... Thoughts?

Primal Fuel
    So, this is tangentially nutrition related, and I wanted to get your opinions.

I went out for pho With a friend of mine today and apparently I offended him greatly with my order.

He's Vietnamese tried and true, and this DOES relate to our argument.

I was remembering Mark's recent post on whether or not pho is primal. He said he orders his with reduced noodles and several people commented that they order theirs without noodles at all, and with extra veggies and meat. I decided to ask the waitress to hold the noodles and put extra meat and veggies in it. She said that was fine.

When the waitress had left my friend turned to me and said "We're at a pho restaurant and you didn't order pho. Are you stupid?"

"How did I not order pho? We both have great bowls of soup coming. I just got mine sans noodles."

"Pho means 'noodle broth' dude. Without noodles it's no longer pho."

"What? How so?"

"God man, I'm so embarrassed. I take my friend out for pho and he doesn't order pho. Way to make the Vietnamese guy look like an idiot. I can't ever have pho with you again. Ugh, why do you have to offend my culture like that?"

So, uh, I'm still not sure why he made such a big deal out of it. Yeesh. He was really pissed at me.

Do the noodles REALLY define what pho is? Does a lack of noodles mean that it immediately ceases to be pho (since the word TECHNICALLY means "noodle broth"), or am I missing something here?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    the noodles totally define it.
    he still didn't have to be such a dick about it and go to the "why do you have to offend my culture" zone...

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    the noodles totally define it.
    he still didn't have to be such a dick about it and go to the "why do you have to offend my culture" zone...
    Yes, he was being a dick about it. I mean the waitress (also Vietnamese) was totally fine with me changing my order. And even if it's not TECHNICALLY pho anymore, it's still Vietnamese food.

It's not like I went into the restaurant and asked for a pizza or something like that.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    If your Vietnamese friend was offended by this, then surely the Vietnamese waitress was offended too. The broth may have been sans noodles, but it definitely wasn't sans spit or other bodily fluids. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    If your Vietnamese friend was offended by this, then surely the Vietnamese waitress was offended too. The broth may have been sans noodles, but it definitely wasn't sans spit or other bodily fluids. Just sayin'.

Thanks for this informative reply.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Tell your friend the word pho is actually derived from a French term for beef stew and you weren't offending his culture, you were honoring his culture's erstwhile colonial masters. Or you can leave off the "masters" part but it is still a viet-afied version of pot-au-feu. In a very good way mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Tell your friend the word pho is actually derived from a French term for beef stew and you weren't offending his culture, you were honoring his culture's erstwhile colonial masters. Or you can leave off the "masters" part but it is still a viet-afied version of pot-au-feu. In a very good way mind you.
    I doubt he'd listen to such a reasoned opinion as this at present. Maybe in a few days I'll attempt that. If I'm willing to accept that I may still open another can of worms.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Wow, what a strong reaction!

I had pho the other day with my husband and ate every SINGLE NOODLE.

They *are* rice noodles, not wheat.

How come you didn't want to get any? Too big of a carb load?

And I'm sure the waitress wasn't offended.

I bet she sees a whole buncha whities in there ordering all kinds
    of crazy crap. If she gets paid and the restaurant gets money, what
    the heck do THEY care? Seriously.

In any event, man, I don't know what I would have done if I were
    in your situation. Your dude bro totally flipped out.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Wow, what a strong reaction!

I had pho the other day with my husband and ate every SINGLE NOODLE.

They *are* rice noodles, not wheat.

How come you didn't want to get any? Too big of a carb load?

And I'm sure the waitress wasn't offended.

I bet she sees a whole buncha whities in there ordering all kinds
    of crazy crap. If she gets paid and the restaurant gets money, what
    the heck do THEY care? Seriously.

In any event, man, I don't know what I would have done if I were
    in your situation. Your dude bro totally flipped out.

Julie
    Well, when the bowl was over 90% noodles and like two pieces of meat from what I could see other people eating... What can I say? I like my meat!

Besides, a grain is still a grain. I'll eat small doses of rice because it's gluten free, but it still contains a lot of the other issues that are associated with grains beyond that. So small amounts? Fine. Big heaping wads of it? Still a grain, still other issues, decided it wasn't worth it. Besides, I wanted some veggies and meat with my soup, not just a bowl of rice in thin sauce basically. Substance!

Yeah, I doubt she gave a shit about it. Heh. Still trying to figure out why my friend flipped out on me.

EagleRiverDee is online now Senior Member
    I think your friend overreacted big time. I mean, would we accuse someone who took the bun off their burger of insulting our culture because burgers come with buns? No. Maybe noodles are an integral part of pho, maybe not (I'm not Vietnamese, so have no idea) but he should respect your right to eat how you need to eat.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast