Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 62

Thread: Dumb argument with my friend... Thoughts? page 6

  1. #51
    paleo-bunny's Avatar
    paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW England, UK
    Posts
    2,667
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Pho translates as "noodle broth" so a broth without noodles CANNOT be pho. That's basically what he kept saying over and over again. When I tried to ask him what the big deal was, I just kept getting this whole "it's part of Vietnamese culture, just accept it and stop trying to change it" message.

    Calm down dude, I'm not trying to alter Vietnamese culture.
    I've experienced similar reactions with conservative Italians towards their cuisine. I find such reactions very annoying tbh.

    Nothing wrong with cuisines evolving or being adapted IMO.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

  2. #52
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,846
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I've experienced similar reactions with conservative Italians towards their cuisine. I find such reactions very annoying tbh.

    Nothing wrong with cuisines evolving or being adapted IMO.
    For once, we agree! Our ability to adapt is one of the things that makes us human beings.

    Inflexibility is boring.

  3. #53
    Ana Tane's Avatar
    Ana Tane is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Western Australia, south of the River
    Posts
    20
    If i order a meal and there is a part of it i do not want, then i ask for it to not be served. The best part of being an adult is making your own decissions and letting other make theirs. There will always be people in the world who will not accept what others do, even if it is about a bowl of noodles.
    I feel sorry for you that what should have been a night out has turned out to leave a bad taste in your mouth, pardon the pun.
    Ana-Tane = (Cave Man)

  4. #54
    WeldingHank's Avatar
    WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lawrence,Ma
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I've experienced similar reactions with conservative Italians towards their cuisine. I find such reactions very annoying tbh.

    Nothing wrong with cuisines evolving or being adapted IMO.
    REAL italian food isn't pasta. pasta is for sunday afternoon when your not having tons of people over. REAL italian food is regional, usually protein and rice or some roasted vegetable and ends with a salad.

  5. #55
    paleo-bunny's Avatar
    paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW England, UK
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    REAL italian food isn't pasta. pasta is for sunday afternoon when your not having tons of people over. REAL italian food is regional, usually protein and rice or some roasted vegetable and ends with a salad.
    Agreed. When I go into an Italian supermarket the pasta section as at least 8 times smaller in size than its English counterpart.

    There is no such thing as generic Italian food. That construct was born in America.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

  6. #56
    paleo-bunny's Avatar
    paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW England, UK
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    For once, we agree! Our ability to adapt is one of the things that makes us human beings.

    Inflexibility is boring.
    I doubt we would disagree much at all if we met in real life. I've never held anything against you and hold no hard feelings. I can't pinpoint where we ever fell out - but I would just like to say peace - man.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

  7. #57
    reallygravity's Avatar
    reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    151
    I am not replying to this exact post, but to the discussion that arose from the post.

    I think your friend might be generally annoyed with your "inflexibility" or "pickyness." And he took this one opportunity to demonstrate his annoyance.

    I have not had people react to my food choices, but my mother-in-law sometimes wonders or tries to push the freshly made bread onto me. She is not rude with me....but I am most certainly in the "weird/restrictive" eating habits category (in her mind).

    I havent had a person giving me a whole lecture about why it is important to eat grains. Not yet. And even if they do, I dont think I have the energy to get into a deep debate. Something like "whole grains are good for you" is quite deeply ingrained. Ah, literally!

  8. #58
    Satisfy's Avatar
    Satisfy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    22
    Man don't worry about him, he has insecurity issues. I have heaps of friends and none of them flip out when i'm not eating bread or something along those lines. I went to europe and several different countries and alot of them have AWSOME diets. Mediterranean is sooo good. The problem though was alot of them had bread or syrup with the water and i would just decline and they wouldn't be so offended. I don't understand why your friend is like this i can only assume that he is insecure.

    Don't worry about him and don't apologize you've done nothing wrong. Does he even know that you eat paleo or is this some secret you kept from him.

  9. #59
    Fernaldo's Avatar
    Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    889
    Was his mom back there servin' up the pho? I would have told that pretentious prick to fuck off. Then again, I would have eaten the noodles . You should have told him to order his with thicker skin, he needs it... pho sho!
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

  10. #60
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,846
    Quote Originally Posted by reallygravity View Post
    I am not replying to this exact post, but to the discussion that arose from the post.

    I think your friend might be generally annoyed with your "inflexibility" or "pickyness." And he took this one opportunity to demonstrate his annoyance.

    I have not had people react to my food choices, but my mother-in-law sometimes wonders or tries to push the freshly made bread onto me. She is not rude with me....but I am most certainly in the "weird/restrictive" eating habits category (in her mind).

    I havent had a person giving me a whole lecture about why it is important to eat grains. Not yet. And even if they do, I dont think I have the energy to get into a deep debate. Something like "whole grains are good for you" is quite deeply ingrained. Ah, literally!
    Well, he studied "exercise science" in college as his major and works out at the gym like five times a week, but still is one of the most overweight people I've ever met in my life (he's a short Asian, like 5'4" and over 230 lbs). He eats a wildly CW diet but because he studied "exercise science" and weightlifts so much, he does consider himself some sort of self-styled nutrition "expert" but when I see how overweight he is, I just can't take his advice seriously.

    I have told him about my eating habits because he has asked (said he was curious) and he DEFINATELY seems to think it odd to say the least.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •