Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumb argument with my friend... Thoughts? page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I had pho once. I don't remember any noodles. I remember a little bit of vegetables and some meat balls. It was not good. I've never had pho ever again. I really don't see why people like it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I had pho once. I don't remember any noodles. I remember a little bit of vegetables and some meat balls. It was not good. I've never had pho ever again. I really don't see why people like it.
    I've never had meatballs in pho before... And I've had it a LOT.

It usually has a smattering of nice vegetables, some perfectly tender thin strips of pork or beef cooked in a delicious bone broth made without skimming fat and you can taste the marrow, and... As InSearchOfAbs put it, "an absolute fuckton of noodles." Rice noodles to be fair.

I just wanted more of the amazing broth, veggies, and meat this time around.

Sounds like what you had wasn't ANYTHING like the deal we get in my neck of the woods, yeah. Feel bad for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Well, I *do* agree that there are an absolute fuckton of noodles
    in there.

A small bowl of pho is about 535 cals, and that certainly doesn't come
    from the broth and the 10 pieces of super paper thin meat I got in there.

Totally understand why you wouldn't want the noodles. Wasn't condeming
    it at all.

I ate MY noodles because I'm a gluttonous sow that can't say no. Even though
    pho makes my heart race like amuthaclucka 15 minutes after consuming all those noodles.

Ah well, the things we do for love. I mean, noodles, I mean.. yeah. What?
    Again, grains are not just a gluten and carbs thing. They also have a ton of other anti-nutrients and things that mess with your digestion and all that jazz besides. White rice may be a better option because it is "gluten free", but that doesn't give it a free pass on the other issues. So I simply didn't want a helping that large.

And yeah, pho does that for me too. As for the whole carb thing, I am sure there was a ton of s in that broth, do I got my share of 'em.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    As for the whole carb thing, I am sure there was a ton of s in that broth, do I got my share of 'em.

Agreed!

As far as the meatball thing goes, where *we* go, you can order what kind of meat you
    want in it, and my sister always gets the disgusting little meatballs.

So, the DO exist, just NEVER in MY bowl. Blech!

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Agreed!

As far as the meatball thing goes, where *we* go, you can order what kind of meat you
    want in it, and my sister always gets the disgusting little meatballs.

So, the DO exist, just NEVER in MY bowl. Blech!
    Considering that meatballs are usually made with a lot of cheap filler ingredients, I'll take the REAL meat, thanks. But, ah, letting the meat braise and get all soft and tender in the broth? Divine.

And yes, I can hardly imagine a pho without sugar in the broth. Maybe I should learn to make a broth without the sugar that I can use as a base for my own pho? No, better not.

I might offend my friend by leaving out yet ANOTHER ingredient absolutely VITAL to the pho experience.

Ellie_Miller is offline Junior Member
    Wow, your friend needs to get over himself and let you eat in peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie_Miller View Post
    Wow, your friend needs to get over himself and let you eat in peace!
    Hah, truth. But to some people, food is just such an important sacred cow that to say anything contrary to their beliefs is to invite trouble.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    According to wiki, the term "pho" could also come from the cantonese word for noodle -- fun -- not necessarily from the french broth component, though that is also an interesting idea. Perhaps it is both -- pho refers to both the broth and the noodles.

I don't know why he got so offended. Perhaps he is also on the spectrum. Spectrum folks hold things to be quite precious, right? Anyway, it's a strange thing.

I get pho so rarely that I do eat the noodles. In fact, it's a special treat to go out and get pho or even thai noodle soups that are available here. . . or any noodle soup for that matter. Since rice is no big deal to me -- and I eat it so rarely -- it's just extra special.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I went into a steak house one time and ordered a rare steak. What I received was cooked to death and had a mealy texture like it had been soaked in meat tenderizer. It wad not good. I don't see why people like it.

Pho is typically a good beef broth with tripe, brisket, tendon, fatty flank steak, and the like. And rice noodles of course. It is served with a plate with lots of fresh basil, limes, and (primal folks may not like this) bean sprouts..maybe something I'm forgetting. That stuff comes on a side plate so you can add to your own taste. If it's good (and where I learned to like it - restaurants recommended by people born in Vietnam, in a part of southern California where the street signs are in Vietnamese - it is) it's very good.

But anything can be made badly.
    Last edited by Him; 12-13-2012 at 07:42 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    cilantro and green onions often appear, and there might be something like bok choy (or similar cabbage) with it as well. And sometimes peppers or similar cut into strips.

i've had beef and chicken based phos, with thin and wide noodles, and all kinds of variations of herbs and veggies in it. I eat it all!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast