Thread: What's the *Truth* about anti-nutrients? page

rimam1 is offline Member

What's the *Truth* about anti-nutrients?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

I just read an article on BuiltLean.com and it was interesting because it talked about the anti-nutrients in wheat products like lectin. But what REALLY got me is that it said raw vegetables have lots of anti-nutrients too! Here's the article:

Fitness Tips to Get Lean, Toned, & Lose Fat | BuiltLean.com

I was shocked. They said that cooking veggies gets rid of the anti-nutrients. It's crazy because that flies in the face of the "raw food" movement. I mean, eating raw vegetables *sounds* like a good idea, but that article made me rethink it altogether.

So what do you guys think about anti-nutrients? What are they? How much of an effect do they really have?

Thanks,
    Raza
    Here's my journey to getting ripped using intermittent fasting and strength training check it out here...

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    So what do you guys think about anti-nutrients? What are they? How much of an effect do they really have?
    They are elements found in food that interfere with the absorbtion of other nutrients (hence, anti-nutrient). Examples are phytates, lectins, gluten, lactose, fructose, casein etc. These are all different and need to be taken on a case by case basis as to why each one is bad.

You've really got to work out for yourself what you are going to die in a ditch over. For me it's gluten. I'm basically ok with everything else.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post
    They could label water as an anti-nutrient. Drink too much and your body actually starts purging water (and anything in that water) from cells.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, it's a pretty meaningless term.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I am not sure about anti-nutrients, but I am getting too much gas and bloating from fresh bread, so I very seldom eat it. But is this anti-nutrients from wheat or something related to fresh bread only? Because I don't get the gasses and bloating from other wheat products like Cake rusk, not that I eat them too often though…

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Do you react that way to other products made with yeast?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Do you react that way to other products made with yeast?
    In my case it seem to be fresh bakery products that makes most problems, but I have not tested it much. Maybe many people that believes to be gluten intolerant, reacts to fresh bakery products as I do? The mecanisms behind this I don't know, my brother have the same...

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Here's a pretty good podcast on the subject (Kresser and Lelonde)
    What Science Really Says About the Paleo Diet – With Mat Lalonde

<edit>full transcript on site, too
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    Anti-nutrients tend to be nearly gone with the high amounts of processing and heating of white flour and other white flour products. They are probably not the problem when it comes to what they cause. The high processing tends to cause more diseases like obesity and diabetes caused by insulin surge. Mineral deficiency are common among these people, but mostly because they lack mineral-rich foods not the fact that of anti-nutrients which probably don't mean much at all, IMO.

sezzajezza84 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I am not sure about anti-nutrients, but I am getting too much gas and bloating from fresh bread, so I very seldom eat it. But is this anti-nutrients from wheat or something related to fresh bread only? Because I don't get the gasses and bloating from other wheat products like Cake rusk, not that I eat them too often though…
    By fresh bread, do you mean not toasted? I know toasting it changes the amino-acids and some other chemical reaction. There's a name for it that I forget, so maybe the toasting makes it easier on your gut. I remember going to school with a girl who could only eat toasted bread.