Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Always want sweets after eating. page

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member

Always want sweets after eating.

Primal Fuel
    As soon as I'm done eating, I immediately want something sweet. I (years ago) used to turn to brownies, cookies etc... The past year I've gone to my coffee with creamer and sugar. Well, can't do that anymore!

Is this just part of a "sugar addiction" or is there something more to me always feeling like I'm missing something sugary after I eat?
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    this could easily be sugar addiction, or a craving for something missing in your diet. if it's just a sweet tooth, see if you can get rid of it by having a small piece of fruit, a few berries, or a square or two of some really decent, and really dark chocolate.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I reckon it's got more to do with whether your meal has been satisfying - nutritionally and emotionally too.

I used to be exactly the same. Sometimes I do still get it and have a couple of squares of 90% chocolate, but if I've had a particularly great meal I often find that the same urge isn't there.

Well, I'd say my meal was pretty fantastic, eggs, bacon and a few tomatoes. I curbed it by having a pea sized dallop of raw honey. It actually helped. I think it's mental. Darn sugar... get out my system!!!
    Earthy Mama's Journal

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    It could be just habit. Possibly it was with me too.

Maybe just aware of any times when it doesn't happen and think about what was different.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Yes...... for me going primal I have cut it out all forms of sugar altogether. Just say nooo It will go away if you do. For me if I do try to satisfy that then it is a very slippery road that leads to more consumption followed by losing my way totally on my diet. I find now that I am as low as I want to be for weight that allowing it maybe once a week in a bigger portion is a better idea rather than feeding the giant sugar monster every day. It doesn't matter to me how satisfying the meal is, but any form of sugar, or indeed too many carbs. can start off that feeling.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

otzi Guest
    I know the feeling well. It usually started with something sweet after dinner (Oreo's anyone?), then something salty (mmmm, Pringles), then something sweet, then maybe a piece of cheese--now need something sweet again and so on til bedtime.

This was the first habit I broke almost 3 years ago...now, after dinner, I have a piece of dark chocolate or a spoonful of almond butter, or maybe a small bowl of frozen blueberries, then brush my teeth. Once my teeth are brushed, it's like the signal for NO MORE EATING. Works great! I can usually get about 4 hours of no eating before bed.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It's totally a habit or an addiction. It sure is for me. People keep giving me chocolate. I can't seem to say no. If they wouldn't do it, or if I had more will-power and would just give it away, then I wouldn't eat it, but once it is there, as soon as I have breakfast or lunch I know there's chocolate...At least I only eat some once a day.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I know the feeling well. It usually started with something sweet after dinner (Oreo's anyone?), then something salty (mmmm, Pringles), then something sweet, then maybe a piece of cheese--now need something sweet again and so on til bedtime.
    This. It is one thing after the other. Perhaps just nip it all in the bud right now!

Thanks all
    Earthy Mama's Journal

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    While gum is not primal, I find that chewing a piece of gum is the best solution after breakfast and lunch. After supper I have fruit. Sometimes I have fruit after lunch as well. I tried to break my sugar addiction, but it led to endless struggles, horrid weekend binges and bouts of depression. So I decided to screw perfect. I am 37 years of age, and I figure it's as good as I am gonna get. Better 3 apples a day, than a nervous breakdown every Thursday. I take 5HTP as well, and while the results are not perfect as well, imo it helps stopping yourself at a 2-nd apple after supper as opposite to going for a pear, an orange and a banana too.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast