Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Always want sweets after eating. page 3

fresa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthy Mama View Post
    Oh man, those are two vegetables I cannot eat (yet) raw. I've never ever ever ever ever liked raw carrots. They always make me sick after I eat them. If I cook them, I can eat them just fine, but not raw. Bell peppers don't make me sick, I just think they are really bitter (raw, but cooked are great!), but hopefully my tastebuds will change.
    They probably will. Mine have

Also, if you are really wanting something sweet and you find fruit will do the trick, stick with that. As someone who had ice cream every single night after dinner from age 6 on, I get the whole needing-something-sweet-after-dinner addiction. I tried completely cutting out fruit, and it was miserable. I've never been so mentally unhappy, it's not at all worth it. I can have one piece of fruit a day, or berries, and continue to lose weight. So I do. Going strict meat and veg is useless if it isn't sustainable for you! That's my personal experience. Do try to eat fruits that are in season though, if you can find one you like. That's what a gathering Grokette would've done after all!

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Your tastebuds will change! Who knew that one day I will find vegetables sweet?!

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fresa View Post
    They probably will. Mine have

Also, if you are really wanting something sweet and you find fruit will do the trick, stick with that. As someone who had ice cream every single night after dinner from age 6 on, I get the whole needing-something-sweet-after-dinner addiction. I tried completely cutting out fruit, and it was miserable. I've never been so mentally unhappy, it's not at all worth it. I can have one piece of fruit a day, or berries, and continue to lose weight. So I do. Going strict meat and veg is useless if it isn't sustainable for you! That's my personal experience. Do try to eat fruits that are in season though, if you can find one you like. That's what a gathering Grokette would've done after all!
    I have eaten small amounts of strawberries and blueberries. Found out through a paleo page last night that there is a year-round farmers market 45 min from me, woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by reallygravity View Post
    Your tastebuds will change! Who knew that one day I will find vegetables sweet?!
    Well I am definitely looking forward to that change! LOL

~~~~~~~~~~
    I went all day yesterday without caving into sugar (granulated), I found that if I make coffee with cinnamon in the grounds and one spoonful of raw honey it works wonders. Still lots of sugars in that, but at least it's raw and it's keeping me away from caving into the granulated sugar. Small success. ha!
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

KWM
    KWM is offline Member
    Our family ALWAYS had dessert -- ice cream AND something home-baked by Mama. At age 64, I'm still getting over that.

I agree that a good tooth brushing will break the sweet-eat cycle.

But if you're feeling the need for a bit of comfort -- peppermint tea after dinner, or one of the licorice teas (Yogi Organic Egyptian Licorice is positively decadent) generally do the trick. A pretty teapot and mug help. Maybe that's because the tea-making ceremony slides in to replace a ceremonial "dessert" offering.

Quote Originally Posted by KWM View Post
    Our family ALWAYS had dessert -- ice cream AND something home-baked by Mama. At age 64, I'm still getting over that.

I agree that a good tooth brushing will break the sweet-eat cycle.

But if you're feeling the need for a bit of comfort -- peppermint tea after dinner, or one of the licorice teas (Yogi Organic Egyptian Licorice is positively decadent) generally do the trick. A pretty teapot and mug help. Maybe that's because the tea-making ceremony slides in to replace a ceremonial "dessert" offering.
    Great suggestion. I just need to find a tea that I like, I'm not a fan of peppermint or licorice LOL!

I wonder if coconut milk would work. I've never had coconut milk... I wonder if it's even sweet tasting.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reallygravity View Post
    Me too.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya! My family always had desert too! Nowadays, I usually don't have too much room in my tummy left for desert and I'll satisfy a similar craving as yours with a little very dark chocolate or some stevia sweetened tea. Apple cinnamon and peppermint liquorice are amongst my faves.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthy Mama View Post
    Great suggestion. I just need to find a tea that I like, I'm not a fan of peppermint or licorice LOL!

I wonder if coconut milk would work. I've never had coconut milk... I wonder if it's even sweet tasting.
    You could try some of the fruity blends from Celestial Seasonings - this is how my daughters learned to really enjoy a nice cup of herbal tea, and a big 'ole pile of different flavors now is always in the cupboard. All six of us (me, Hubby, four girls) have differing tea tastes so that mixed pile of boxes gets us all drinking tea together - I do not like peppermint or licorice (yuck!) either.

Also, if you like imported stuff, TeaGschwendner makes yummy fruity blends, too. (Spelling is correct, it is a German name)

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    You could try some of the fruity blends from Celestial Seasonings - this is how my daughters learned to really enjoy a nice cup of herbal tea, and a big 'ole pile of different flavors now is always in the cupboard. All six of us (me, Hubby, four girls) have differing tea tastes so that mixed pile of boxes gets us all drinking tea together - I do not like peppermint or licorice (yuck!) either.

Also, if you like imported stuff, TeaGschwendner makes yummy fruity blends, too. (Spelling is correct, it is a German name)
    Thanks, that's the brand (Celestial Seasonings) I buy when drinking my pregnancy tea. Looking at their website now!
    Earthy Mama's Journal

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe it's an imbalance of protein vs. carbs vs. fat or lacking vitamins or minerals or... So eat a piece of fruit afterwards or more starches together with the meal and see if it helps. Experiment and adjust your meals If it doesn't help and you still want sweets (candy and such) it could just be from an old habit (psychological).
    Take a walk on the wild side.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast