Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Always want sweets after eating. page 2

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't get daily cravings for sweets anymore...but I've noticed whenever I have had a calorie dense meal consisting of protein and fat and little carbs in 1 avocado I want something sweet right when I'm done eating. I wonder if I needed a little more carbs with the dense fat and protein to mix with. This happens before my class when I have dinner early and eat a lot to finish off my calories.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Also, I am not sure if it will be helpful to other people, but I find that carrots, beets, turnips, rutabaga, jikama and radishes are good as well in the sugar department. One gotta decide for oneself if they are au par with fruit or better or worse. I am thinking I am going to do better once I completely overcome the fear of carbs left to me by the VLC. Grated jikama and carrot salad is a great desert....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Great tips. I've been eliminating fruit for weight loss, but perhaps it will help and it's just something I need in small quantities off the bat to help with sugar addiction.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Leida is offline Senior Member
    EM, it will not help with sugar addiction. To break sugar addiction you do need to eliminate all sugar, period, including dairy, fruit and starches. But to lose weight to a certain point (i.e. average BF%, down to ~ 22% for a female) you do not need to eliminate fruit. I would also advise strongly against eliminating fruit and healthy starch if you have serotonin problem. In other words, if you experience depression when sugar is completely eliminated. In this case, I would suggest taking 5HTP (unless taking another drug with the same component) for at least 3 weeks prior to eliminating sugar. Overall though, I doubt that completely savory life is for everyone or even beneficial. As much as I coveted it, it turned out to be a torture.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    EM, it will not help with sugar addiction. To break sugar addiction you do need to eliminate all sugar, period, including dairy, fruit and starches. But to lose weight to a certain point (i.e. average BF%, down to ~ 22% for a female) you do not need to eliminate fruit. I would also advise strongly against eliminating fruit and healthy starch if you have serotonin problem. In other words, if you experience depression when sugar is completely eliminated. In this case, I would suggest taking 5HTP (unless taking another drug with the same component) for at least 3 weeks prior to eliminating sugar. Overall though, I doubt that completely savory life is for everyone or even beneficial. As much as I coveted it, it turned out to be a torture.
    The world does feel like it's crashing down when I don't have sugar lol. I will look into the 5HTP, thanks!
    Earthy Mama's Journal

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthy Mama View Post
    As soon as I'm done eating, I immediately want something sweet. I (years ago) used to turn to brownies, cookies etc... The past year I've gone to my coffee with creamer and sugar. Well, can't do that anymore!

Is this just part of a "sugar addiction" or is there something more to me always feeling like I'm missing something sugary after I eat?
    It happens to me too once in a while. A glass of water or a cup of tea afterwards will do the trick for me.

And if I've hit the bulls-eye with my primal meal choice, I want absolutely *nothing* afterwards.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

feren6 is offline Member
    Yes! I have those cravings too even after a year of eating Primal. It's probably because I'm young and active and I NEED more carbs, so it doesn't bother me that I give in. Dark chocolate squares or a spoonfull of raw honey does the trick for me.

Not a huge deal as long as you aren't progressing towards your goals. Life is meant to be enjoyed!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    this could easily be sugar addiction, or a craving for something missing in your diet. if it's just a sweet tooth, see if you can get rid of it by having a small piece of fruit, a few berries, or a square or two of some really decent, and really dark chocolate.
    +1.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Its a habit for sure. Ask me how I know!

I am currently trying to wean myself off the sugar addiction (that is, fruit. Ah!). It is a 15 day experiment. I am on Day 6.

Doing this is telling a lot about myself. I am substituting the fruit with carrots and other "sweet" vegetables--like bell peppers. Sometimes my body is really not craving sugar. It is actually wants fat. Today, I had an avocado for "dessert."

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by reallygravity View Post
    Its a habit for sure. Ask me how I know!

I am currently trying to wean myself off the sugar addiction (that is, fruit. Ah!). It is a 15 day experiment. I am on Day 6.

Doing this is telling a lot about myself. I am substituting the fruit with carrots and other "sweet" vegetables--like bell peppers. Sometimes my body is really not craving sugar. It is actually wants fat. Today, I had an avocado for "dessert."
    Oh man, those are two vegetables I cannot eat (yet) raw. I've never ever ever ever ever liked raw carrots. They always make me sick after I eat them. If I cook them, I can eat them just fine, but not raw. Bell peppers don't make me sick, I just think they are really bitter (raw, but cooked are great!), but hopefully my tastebuds will change.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast