Thread: Advice on exercises for tennis page

leif3141 is offline Junior Member

Advice on exercises for tennis

Shop Now
    I was curious what the most effective workouts would be for getting into tennis shape for when it warms up again here? I'm thinking obviously doing some sprints once or twice a week and throwing the ball with my dog but over than that would gutting strength training to focus more on stamina workouts be a better idea? Don't really want to do both as I don't want to spend all my free time working out.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i would go for bodyweight metabolic conditioning work. you'll still be getting in the resistance work, but doing it at a speed that keeps your conditioning up for those long tennis matches. the spartan race WOD has some good workouts, and simplefit is a great program for this sort of thing.

russellester is offline Banned
    I know this goes against the common wisdom again, but rest by itself is often overrated. It can be totally useless, because it doesn't necessarily help the healing process.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leif3141 View Post
    I was curious what the most effective workouts would be for getting into tennis shape for when it warms up again here? I'm thinking obviously doing some sprints once or twice a week and throwing the ball with my dog but over than that would gutting strength training to focus more on stamina workouts be a better idea? Don't really want to do both as I don't want to spend all my free time working out.
    Squats, deadlifts, bench press, press, chin-ups, rows. Stamina without strength cannot exist. Once you're strong, then worry about endurance.

I already linked to this article in another thread, but it totally applies to your question.