Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hey, we made the worst diet list of 2012........ page 4

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Unsustainable my (now waaay better looking ass). Yeah, like I can't live without all that bland stuff such as bread, pasta, egg whites, rice, oatmeal and such. I wouldn't eat any of that suff, if they paid me. Ever.

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I read critiques of paleo/primal it's always the misconceptions that are front and center. Ever notice how they always say something like..."sure fruits and veggies are good for you and yeah you lose weight, but........" What follows is meat and fat bashing in some form or another with little understanding about portion control, organic vs CAFO, lean meats in the case of paleo and so on. The biggest lie of all is the whole unsustainable claim. What they are really admitting to without even realizing it is how addicted they are to bread-grain products and cannot imagine giving them up. That has nothing to do with sustaining; it is strictly a lack of will. Also a lack of understanding that once you do kick them, you really don't crave them too much anymore. I admit I still get some cravings, but I don't give in and it doesn't really bother me. I have no problem sustaining a primal diet nor I think would anyone else who commits to doing it right.

Almost everyone I ever meet tells me how they could never give up their bread, and the girl I work with has adamantly told me, "Yes, I'm addicted, and I'm never given them up." Correlation does not equal causation, but really, the more grains and less fat they've told us to eat, the fatter we've become and it's not that we're doing it wrong, we're just not doing it right. *rollseyes*

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    The problem with primal is that there is a substantial initial transition. You are hit with new shopping, new cooking, and carb flu, exactly at the time you need to be most strict. It's easy for CW to point at the transition and say Primal doesn't work.
    I think this is where I got lucky. For me, the initial transition was more like a tweak. I was already a believer in home cooking with wholesome ingredients, so while it was somewhat radical to ditch the grains (and to a lesser extent any processed oils), the adjustment was more about becoming a practitioner of even more home cooking with even more wholesome ingredients.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    As a long time vegetarian, Primal is no harder than being a vegetarian and much easier than being vegan. If you eat out a lot, primal would be very boring unless you live in an area with awesome restaurants.

In terms of shopping, I had to go to two or three stores as a vegetarian; same primal.
    Eating out primal is *slightly* harder than as a vegetarian.
    In terms of "following" primal is pretty simple once you get it down.
    In terms of cooking.... tht is the downside. You do have to cook as a primal person. But it is fairly easy if you need it to be.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I think this is where I got lucky. For me, the initial transition was more like a tweak. I was already a believer in home cooking with wholesome ingredients, so while it was somewhat radical to ditch the grains (and to a lesser extent any processed oils), the adjustment was more about becoming a practitioner of even more home cooking with even more wholesome ingredients.
    I was already living with celiac disease anyhow and so my kitchen was already gluten free and I already cooked a lot. It was a matter of dropping the GF baking and things like corn pasta, which was probably much easier considering that those things are much more expensive than the regular stuff.

For people who cook or who are coming from other specialized diets, paleo is probably far easier to adapt to than it is for the regular SAD eater.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    And this is surprising?! The titles of thread in the last week are, my fingernails are soft, my skin is dying, I am aging, I am weak, is wheat making me crazy?, my skin is yellow, i have no energy, I think this diet is making me depressed!

Eat come carbs and feel better everyone!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Eat come carbs and feel better everyone
    Another dork heard from. Hmmm, let's see. Tons of threads on how women do it differently (not just the major one), but a lot of women say they need more carbs - not more than CW, but more than VLC. A lot of the guys also. Primal isn't about low carb, it's just about not being as high carb as CW. 60% of one's diet from carbs? Blech. The same old shit for 30 years and the country gets fatter and sicker. Go look up how the govt recommends we fatten livestock and see if it is very different than how they are telling our citizens to eat.

Also, people generally don't post threads (although some do) like: I'm Feeling Great, Help!

I don't understand how this is unsustainable: eat a lot of plants, animals, and bugs. It's nutritious, delicious, and best of all I'm not depriving any cattle of grains. (That last part was sarcasm.) While it is true that a lot of people choose to go VLC, certainly not all of us do. I eat potatoes on a regular basis. Smothered in butter - stick that in your CW profile.

CW doesn't work. It hasn't worked for 30 years. Sure, a bean and a grain equal a whole protein. But guess how many calories of those foods you need to eat to get a decent amount of protein.

Approximately 4300 calories (not a typo) of brown rice are required to get the same amount of protein in 455 calories of bison, or 462 calories of chicken breasts. Good plan. Beans are a bit better. You only need approx 1300 calories of kidney beans to get that much protein. And you'll most likely fart the whole day - a sure sign your body is thanking you for that food.

This is the easiest way of eating on the planet, except for sourcing non-poisoned food. Meat and veggies. Fruit. How bizarre! How trendy! What's wrong with you people? Don't you know that lean cuisine is cool food?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

La Carnera is offline Member
    Mwahaha,

let them languish in their fantastic healths!

Tone is offline Junior Member
    Reading the comments posted on that article...OMG so loving the ripped, healthy cave person community keeping shit real!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast