Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hey, we made the worst diet list of 2012........ page 3

lordgrover is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    "It is absolutely possible to get enough protein from beans, lentils, tofu, soy products and other plant sources like seeds and nuts," Sheth said. "As long as you're getting a varied amount throughout the day, your body can mix it up and get what it needs."
    Andrea Giancoli - Experts Who Reviewed the Diets - US News Best Diets
    ... and that is more sustainable than eating meat, fish and veg?

froggie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by karatepig View Post
    Just look at what the author says about cutting carbs:
    2012 Diet Trends that Didn't Work (And Some That Did) | Fitbie

My favorite parts are the list of supposed side effects, and the comment about regaining weight after going off the diet. I am so sick of people not understanding that what they need is not a temporary "diet", but a permanent change in their diet.
    This exactly!!

My n=1 experiment shows food tastes better ... and I LOVE meat to point where I'm craving it.
    Hear that? Not craving bread or pasta -- no, no. Craving sirloin, pork chops, bacon and sausage.

Oh I'm slowly losing excess weight. What can be so wrong with this... Ah yes, I forgot. It takes will power and commitment.

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    *checks mirror*

Unsustainable my (significantly smaller) ass.
    Exactly. I've sustained this for almost six months now. The results are fantastic and the food is fabulous. What's not to like?

Shelly6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Exactly. I've sustained this for almost six months now. The results are fantastic and the food is fabulous. What's not to like?
    Probably because learning about the Paleo/Primal diet takes a bit of common sense and a bit more time than most people are willing to put forth when CW tells you that your frozen WW pre-planned meals and 100 calorie packs of cookies are "just fine". God forbid people learn how to actually cook with real food...

oxide is offline Senior Member
    It's not "learning" how to cook as it is the time and effort that go into it. What's funny is that I can now cook primal almost as fast as anything else. The trick is frozen vegetables.

I love how she says that it you don't eat the grains, you start having cravings. Yeah well, if you're used to shooting heroin and you stop shooting heroin, you start craving that too. Shall I make heroin a healthy addition to my diet?

The problem with primal is that there is a substantial initial transition. You are hit with new shopping, new cooking, and carb flu, exactly at the time you need to be most strict. It's easy for CW to point at the transition and say Primal doesn't work.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Shall I make heroin a healthy addition to my diet?
    i think the convention wisdom is that it is OK.....in moderation

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    It's not "learning" how to cook as it is the time and effort that go into it. What's funny is that I can now cook primal almost as fast as anything else. The trick is frozen vegetables.

I love how she says that it you don't eat the grains, you start having cravings. Yeah well, if you're used to shooting heroin and you stop shooting heroin, you start craving that too. Shall I make heroin a healthy addition to my diet?

The problem with primal is that there is a substantial initial transition. You are hit with new shopping, new cooking, and carb flu, exactly at the time you need to be most strict. It's easy for CW to point at the transition and say Primal doesn't work.
    This. The transition was a little hard at first. But now primal/paleo is the new normal for my wife and I. We don't even think about it anymore when we shop,cook etc. it just happens.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    This is a choice, not a requirement. I totally eased into it, slowly shifted the pantry and frig, added or altered recipes bit by bit while slowly dropping the old non-primal ones, never a bit of carb flu. So little drama that my family doesn't even know there's a name for the kind of food I'm cooking these days. It's just more nutritious, lol.

IMO, even if people linger at the 50/50 point for a while, they're still better off than they were before.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    In less than a year my husband and I have lost a combined 80 pounds, gotten rid of digestive problems, arthritis, zitts, gas etc and we sleep better and feel ten years younger. We love what we eat and we're eating better than we have in our lives. Doesn't work? Unsustainable? Ummm, really?

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i love seeing how a person can be ignorant and an expert at the same time. it gives me hope for one day when i can be an oxymoron... i'm thinking agoraphobic explorer.
    LOL! Made me spit my (grass-fed) bone broth with that one.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast