Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, we made the worst diet list of 2012........ page 2

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Here's the author's bio About K. Aleisha Fetters | Follow the Nomad

Why does her opinion mean anything...esp when http://followthenomad.wordpress.com/about/" In a desperate attempt at a more relaxing life, I’ve thrown in my proverbial towel on the U.S. economy and am moving to Spain." To Spain's economy with it's unemployment?
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

and heres' Andrea Giancoli, MPH RD
    Areas of Expertise for Media Inquiries:

Vegetarian Eating
    Fad Diets
    Raw Food Diets
    Nutrition Policy
    General Nutrition

The Vegetarian Kid | The Family Fork

The Well-Fed Vegetarian - Make sure your meatless diet doesn

The Mainstreaming of Vegan Diets
    It's true that most plant foods don't contain all the essential amino acids needed by our bodies, while animal proteins do," said Andrea Giancoli, a registered dietitian in Los Angeles and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. "But a grain plus a bean makes a complete protein. As long as you're getting a variety of those, you are fine -- and they don't need to be consumed at the same time."

Sheth and Giancoli also noted that certain vegan "super foods" like soy products and quinoa have been found to contain proteins that break down all the essential amino acids.

"It is absolutely possible to get enough protein from beans, lentils, tofu, soy products and other plant sources like seeds and nuts," Sheth said. "As long as you're getting a varied amount throughout the day, your body can mix it up and get what it needs."
    Andrea Giancoli - Experts Who Reviewed the Diets - US News Best Diets
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

VailPrimal is offline Junior Member
    "But a grain plus a bean makes a complete protein".....

Ha! But, I'm assuming that the bean and the grain at least need to be consumed within a short period of time of each other so that they can locate and bind correctly, right?

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Hilarious. I just love it when these so called experts deliberately misunderstand and make out the we're all trying to live in caves and hunt down our dinner.

Meat, veggies, fat - unsustainable? I think not. I've never enjoyed my food so much and don't care if a breadcrumb or pasta twist never passes my lips ever again.

Presumably being lean and feeling fantastic is unsustainable too then?

Out with the Pyramid, In with the Plate - What Should I Eat? - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health
    But grains are not essential for good health, and refined grains are detrimental to health—what’s most important is to make all of our grains whole grains. Likewise, there’s no optimum amount of protein to eat at each meal—the protein source is far more important for health.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    *facepalm*
    Ditto when I saw the article!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

karatepig is offline Member
    Just look at what the author says about cutting carbs:
    2012 Diet Trends that Didn't Work (And Some That Did) | Fitbie

My favorite parts are the list of supposed side effects, and the comment about regaining weight after going off the diet. I am so sick of people not understanding that what they need is not a temporary "diet", but a permanent change in their diet.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    While I don't see how Paleo/Primal is the worst, I think that eliminating legumes (and, previously, tubers) is the biggest mistake in the Paleo approach. I have a feeling that the beans will find acceptance as a food source eventually. Just like potatoes did.

The criticisms Giancoli offers is not based on the 2012 data, it is based on the initial version of Paleo, that outright forbade dairy. On the other hand, she ignores that original Paleo was actually very low fat actually trying to replicate those lean antelopes sans the fatty bits. So, I am not sure which version she is actually critiquing.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I get so tired of hearing about “lean” meats. Whether or not Paleolithic humans ate a lot of lean mean or fatty meat would have varied by location. Look at the Inuit. They ate only fat and fatty meat and did just fine. Natives in the US Pacific Northwest would have eaten a lot of fatty fish.

As I side note…I love it how paleo makes these lists every year and is always called unsustainable. Whatever dude.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    *checks mirror*

Unsustainable my (significantly smaller) ass.
    Haha! And there's the proof, right there. I'm new, but I've lost 8 lbs in the past 3 weeks. I will be getting regular blood tests as I go along. If my bloodwork looks good, and my body feels good, and I achieve an optimal weight, then it's not going to matter to me what CW says about my diet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast