Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Sweats Like Crazy page

Meghanner is offline Senior Member

Night Sweats Like Crazy

Primal Fuel
    I'm a 33yr old woman, 108lbs 165cm and have been 100% primal since the summer (modified for 2 years prior to that). Since the summer I've been experiencing wicked night sweats 3-5 nights a week. I soak the sheets. It's terrible. Any ideas on how to make it stop or what could be causing it?

ezk
    ezk is offline Member
    Eat some carbs. I bet tou are going strong on protein and fat..

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Accupuncture. Seriously.

A few years ago I had these weird symptoms, most of which involved sweating. Sweating at night. Getting pit stains during the day at work (and not being in a hot environment). Also peeing too much and a few other things. I mentioned it to my accupuncturist, who I was seeing for unrelated treatment, and she said 'Oh, yeah, that's just your _______ organ not holding onto water properly. We can easily fix that.' I don't remember now which organ it was, and I was kind of skeptical about it, but damn it after that appointment all the weird sweating stopped!

I'm sure this could also be a symptom of something else, but if you can't figure out what, you could always give accupuncture a try.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezk View Post
    Eat some carbs. I bet you are going strong on protein and fat..
    I second this.

I'm 44, and when trying to go Keto a few months back, the same thing happened to me.

My periods were also 35/36 days apart.

I was on my knees praying to Jeebus that I was starting to go through menopause and would
    soon NOT be having ANY periods, and that the night sweats were a small price to pay for that
    luxury....

But, then talking to my mother, who didn't go through meno until she was 55, and my sister, who is
    47 shows ZERO signs, I knew it couldn't be....

Anyway, long story longer, keto wasn't my friend, even though it HAD BEEN for long bouts from
    1996 until 2007, but not anymore, so I added some starchy carbs in.

Night sweats stopped and periods are back to 28 days apart.

Which is all fine and dandy, but god damnit, I WANTED THEM TO STOP!

Julie

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I had night sweats before starting primal. I trace mine back to sugar intake, and still get them if occasionally if my sugar intake is too high. I forget what exactly the physiology of this is, something about your body trying to dump excess glucose, so it raises your body temperature to burn it off.

You say you're 100% primal. But do you eat dried fruit or other "approved" sweetners like maple syrup, honey, etc.?

Since I don't really need to lose weight I'm not strict with myself when it comes to natural sweet things. But if I'm not careful, all that naturally occurring sugar can add up, and then, bam, I'm up in the middle of the night in a complete sweat. I also found out that some sunflower butter I had been buying had added sugar, that didn't help either, especially since I developed an addiction to coating apple slices in it for my afternoon snack.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    I also experience night sweats since going primal. Thus far I have tentatively identified two things that seem to help:

1) Keeping my room cold at night when using heavy blankets. Like say 10C (50F). Possibly related - blocking the heat register (no sudden influxes of hot dry air?).
    2) Less fruit/sugar.

DJinNC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    I second this.

I was on my knees praying to Jeebus that I was starting to go through menopause and would
    soon NOT be having ANY periods, and that the night sweats were a small price to pay for

Julie
    Be careful what you wish for

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I would personally go get at least basic bloodwork done, night sweats are a huge red flag for cancer, although of course at your age, that'd be less likely than, say, premature menopause or something. I always err on the side of caution due to the nature of my work, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    I had night sweats before starting primal. I trace mine back to sugar intake, and still get them if occasionally if my sugar intake is too high. I forget what exactly the physiology of this is, something about your body trying to dump excess glucose, so it raises your body temperature to burn it off.

You say you're 100% primal. But do you eat dried fruit or other "approved" sweetners like maple syrup, honey, etc.?

Since I don't really need to lose weight I'm not strict with myself when it comes to natural sweet things. But if I'm not careful, all that naturally occurring sugar can add up, and then, bam, I'm up in the middle of the night in a complete sweat. I also found out that some sunflower butter I had been buying had added sugar, that didn't help either, especially since I developed an addiction to coating apple slices in it for my afternoon snack.
    I don't eat any fruit or sugars at all. Organic stevia in my tea only. I use MFP to track sugars and never get more than 20g a day from green veggies and the occasional root/tuber/squash. My carbs fall between 50-80g/day with 20-30 being fibre.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    I would personally go get at least basic bloodwork done, night sweats are a huge red flag for cancer, although of course at your age, that'd be less likely than, say, premature menopause or something. I always err on the side of caution due to the nature of my work, tho.
    Doesn't every symptom mean you have cancer I'm sure it's not that...however thank you for the suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast