Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 184

Thread: Looking visibly aged now, more than expected.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,900

    Looking visibly aged now, more than expected.

    In spite of how good I generally feel, the lines on my face are getting deeper faster than seems normal. Could just be that I'm not a puffy balloon anymore, or the sun I've seen. At 28, I looked 25. But now at 30 I look 35. I've been doing Primal about three years now. I can't help but wonder if it's the excess protein? It's not just my imagination, people have been overguessing my age lately. Now that I've rebuilt my body and restored my health, I'm wondering if it's time to go higher-starch instead of glycating protein every day. I've ridden the ketosis train, and I'll ride it again. Heck, I might even be able to get away with cutting protein in half and not changing anything else. I just don't want to ruin the feel-good energy and stable mood I generally have these days. I mean, I FEEL awesome and perform physical labor really well. I've had gains on bike rides lately and nothing is really wrong - except my face! Even when my skin is clear I just look a little - haggard, stressed, something is off. And my eyes like to get bloodshot now and then, I still can't figure that out. But I have to ask myself, if I'm not going to have kids until I'm almost forty, is it wise to spend all my youth now? Have I traded longevity for an awesome mid-life? Is all the extra protein messing with my organs, blood pressure, and other functions?
    Steak, eggs, potatoes - fruits, nuts, berries and forage. Coconut milk and potent herbs and spices. Tea instead of coffee now and teeny amounts of kelp daily. Let's see how this does! Not really had dairy much, and gut seems better for it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    981
    High protein continually isn't necessary nor optimal. I cut my protein drastically after I reached my ideal weight. By the sound of it you're high protein/high fat but probably pretty short on plant foods which contain hundreds of potential antioxidants, caretenoids, polyphenols and other phytonutrients that protect you from and slow down the aging process.
    The science on different protective plant nutrients that are being discovered by the day is so vast. I think that kind of stuff is extremely underrated/overlooked on here. I'm not suggesting you start living off goji berries and kale smoothies but sweet potatoes, berries,fruits, avocado's and other vegetables are amazing foods.

    You probably have an excessive methionine content which wouldn't be doing you any favors.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 12-13-2012 at 02:52 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,202
    You're aging rapidly for a variety of reasons.

    1). Stress hormones are permanently activated
    2). Excess tryptophan
    3). Serotonin

    Those three I know for a fact, and can make various other assumptions based on your diet alone. I'm about your age and get that I look like I'm 20 years old all the time. Genetics? Maybe, maybe not.

    Lower your stress. Sugar, sugar, sugar.
    Make America Great Again

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You're aging rapidly for a variety of reasons.

    1). Stress hormones are permanently activated
    2). Excess tryptophan
    3). Serotonin

    Those three I know for a fact, and can make various other assumptions based on your diet alone. I'm about your age and get that I look like I'm 20 years old all the time. Genetics? Maybe, maybe not.

    Lower your stress. Sugar, sugar, sugar.
    I like the way you roll.

    Berries are a terrible source of sugar. Try oranges, melons, raw honey, organic maple syrup and very ripe bananas. Berries are also kind of fibrous and force you to eat the seed. IMO, there is an overemphasis on berries due to carb count. I like my apples, bananas and mangoes more.

    For more information on a society that aged prematurely due to diet, see the Inuit.

    I'll never understand the whole low-carb paradigm. Most traditional societies are higher carbohydrate, and the only low-carb society that is ever referenced are the Inuit, who were notorious for early aging and not being all that lean. Vary your diet. Eat equal calories from fat, protein and starch. There is nothing like 33/33/33 for health and feel. You get EVERYTHING your body wants, which means less stress and slower aging because it doesn't have to convert an overabundance of stuff it doesn't need into something it does need (like forcing it to use gluconeogenesis to convert protein into glucose, talk about a chronic stressor!).
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    There is nothing like 33/33/33 for health and feel. You get EVERYTHING your body wants, which means less stress and slower aging because it doesn't have to convert an overabundance of stuff it doesn't need into something it does need (like forcing it to use gluconeogenesis to convert protein into glucose, talk about a chronic stressor!).
    Hmm, I maintain my body on 4000 kcal right now, so according to your macro setup I should get whopping 330 gram of protein instead of “only” 200 gram as I eat now??? I thought I was pretty high on proteins but nothing compared to your recommendations…

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Hmm, I maintain my body on 4000 kcal right now, so according to your macro setup I should get whopping 330 gram of protein instead of “only” 200 gram as I eat now??? I thought I was pretty high on proteins but nothing compared to your recommendations…
    It depends on your activity level. Most people don't have that high of a caloric intake, so you're constantly massively overeating (which has problems in and of itself). No, you shouldn't have that high of a protein intake. For the average somewhat sedentary person, I'd probably recommend a 1:1 protein:carb intake, meaning 1g of carbohydrate consumed to every gram of protein. For someone very active, 1.5-2g. For you, you'd probably want 2g of carbohydrate or more on average for every gram of protein consumed to limit stress. Also, since carbs are indirectly stored as body fat rather than directly stored (like dietary fat), if you're trying to gain lean mass, you'd probably be better off overconsuming carbohydrate than fat. Upping fats a whole lot would probably lead to a lousy body composition.

    At least that's what I'd do.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It depends on your activity level. Most people don't have that high of a caloric intake, so you're constantly massively overeating (which has problems in and of itself). No, you shouldn't have that high of a protein intake. For the average somewhat sedentary person, I'd probably recommend a 1:1 protein:carb intake, meaning 1g of carbohydrate consumed to every gram of protein. For someone very active, 1.5-2g. For you, you'd probably want 2g of carbohydrate or more on average for every gram of protein consumed to limit stress. Also, since carbs are indirectly stored as body fat rather than directly stored (like dietary fat), if you're trying to gain lean mass, you'd probably be better off overconsuming carbohydrate than fat. Upping fats a whole lot would probably lead to a lousy body composition.
    At least that's what I'd do.
    My calorie expenditure is high because I am 200 pound, lean, and I work out twice a day, doing cardio in the morning and high volume weight training in the afternoon. I usually go for around 200 – 220 gram of proteins, 150 gram of fat and around 400 - 450 gram of carbs on workout days. It seem to be my maintenance right now, and I am not trying to get more muscles or lose more weight…

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Vary your diet. Eat equal calories from fat, protein and starch. There is nothing like 33/33/33 for health and feel. You get EVERYTHING your body wants, which means less stress and slower aging because it doesn't have to convert an overabundance of stuff it doesn't need into something it does need (like forcing it to use gluconeogenesis to convert protein into glucose, talk about a chronic stressor!).
    Glad to read this because while I shoot for less than 40% fat (seems to work for me in weight loss mode) - actually I just try to keep fat grams to under 60g, I usually end up with a 3 way split and I was pretty happy to see that split, but I hadnt seen anyone else here say it anywhere (probably did and I just missed it) So basically a 3-way with calories 1200-1550. Some days more and some days less in any category.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,900
    Naw, I eat berries, baking chocolate, coffee, green tea and strong spices regularly. And a green apple most days, except for zero carb sprees which are rare. Not to mention organ meats have vitamin C and D, along with the usual awesome list of B vitamins, etc.

    I just have to take it slow and give my body a chance to relearn how to digest starch again. I know what'll happen if I eat a big bowl of mashed sweet potatoes right now! Maybe some cooked carrots to get the system rolling again...

    You're aging rapidly for a variety of reasons.

    1). Stress hormones are permanently activated
    2). Excess tryptophan
    3). Serotonin

    Those three I know for a fact, and can make various other assumptions based on your diet alone. I'm about your age and get that I look like I'm 20 years old all the time. Genetics? Maybe, maybe not.

    Lower your stress. Sugar, sugar, sugar.
    You're saying I should eat sugar on purpose?
    Stress is right. Maybe I should drop coffee after all. And go back to day shift so I can quit flip-flopping back and forth. My toenails look like seashells because every other week I sleep by day and every other week I sleep at night. That's GOT to be stressful.
    Tryptophan, huh? I'll look into that one!
    Last edited by Knifegill; 12-13-2012 at 02:48 AM.
    Steak, eggs, potatoes - fruits, nuts, berries and forage. Coconut milk and potent herbs and spices. Tea instead of coffee now and teeny amounts of kelp daily. Let's see how this does! Not really had dairy much, and gut seems better for it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    You're saying I should eat sugar on purpose?
    Stress is right. Maybe I should drop coffee after all. And go back to day shift so I can quit flip-flopping back and forth. My toenails look like seashells because every other week I sleep by day and every other week I sleep at night. That's GOT to be stressful.
    Tryptophan, huh? I'll look into that one!
    Use it as a medicine, sugar lowers ACTH stress hormones. Don't drop the coffee, it has anti-aging properties and is particularly protective against serotonin.

    Better protein consumption would help you. Paleo diets are typically high in typtophan due to high meat consumption. Gelatin is good for this.

    I can relate to the unstable work schedule, mine is the same way.

    Also, look into taking pregnenolone. It will probably give you an immediate face lift.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 12-13-2012 at 02:55 AM.
    Make America Great Again

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •