Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking visibly aged now, more than expected. page 5

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    It is not possible that I have any deficiencies based on food intake. Unless my gut is just incorrctly populated, that is. Which it may be! I ate some carrots and sweet potatoes tonight and the pain and bloating was so intense it hurt to move for awhile. It appears I've become starch intolerant.
    This is why the refeed exists. As long as you introduce some starch in you at least once every couple of weeks you shouldn't have any intollerance issues (at least in terms of metabolic processing). Now binging... That's a whole other beast.

I know you gave up refeeds a while back, but I'd toss 'em back in just to help with your gut. Oh, and don't forget to eat some fermented shit!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Pick better carbs for starters. Sweet potatoes contain cyanogenic glycosides, which is a thyroid toxin. I would rather eat a regular well cooked potato.

The carrot is fine, but it contains a pretty small amount of carbs. It can also be hard on the gut unless grated up and served with vinegar and salt.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 12-14-2012 at 12:19 AM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Whoa. So much info!
    Cyanogenic glycosides also break down during food preparation and processing releasing hydrogen cyanide. The hydrogen cyanide is not stable in heat and does not survive cooking methods such as baking, boiling and roasting. It can also be removed by fermentation.

For more Paleo Diet hacks: Hydrogen Cyanide in Sweet potatos - PaleoHacks.com
    Follow us: @PaleoHacks on Twitter | PaleoHacks on Facebook
    True?

And, yes, I do get fermented veggies. A little kraut here, kombucha there. And I'm cutting out (greatly reducing) my bacon habit, which is not from good animals.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 12-14-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jturk is offline Senior Member
    It's an inevitable consequence of weight loss. Thin faces look older.

The way your face looks is not a reliable indicator of cellular aging, even in the skin.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jturk View Post

The way your face looks is not a reliable indicator of cellular aging, even in the skin.
    +1

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jturk View Post
    Yes and No. But it's an oversimplification since the gaunt, tired haggard face from dieting will to a certain degree be restored when eating at maintenance for a while, even without gaining the weight back! Extended dieting stresses the body and makes hormonal changes, and when restoring hormonal levels the face will recuperate and look much better than in the end game of a diet or right after…

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You're aging rapidly for a variety of reasons.

1). Stress hormones are permanently activated
    2). Excess tryptophan
    3). Serotonin

Those three I know for a fact, and can make various other assumptions based on your diet alone. I'm about your age and get that I look like I'm 20 years old all the time. Genetics? Maybe, maybe not.

Lower your stress. Sugar, sugar, sugar.
    I like the way you roll.

Berries are a terrible source of sugar. Try oranges, melons, raw honey, organic maple syrup and very ripe bananas. Berries are also kind of fibrous and force you to eat the seed. IMO, there is an overemphasis on berries due to carb count. I like my apples, bananas and mangoes more.

For more information on a society that aged prematurely due to diet, see the Inuit.

I'll never understand the whole low-carb paradigm. Most traditional societies are higher carbohydrate, and the only low-carb society that is ever referenced are the Inuit, who were notorious for early aging and not being all that lean. Vary your diet. Eat equal calories from fat, protein and starch. There is nothing like 33/33/33 for health and feel. You get EVERYTHING your body wants, which means less stress and slower aging because it doesn't have to convert an overabundance of stuff it doesn't need into something it does need (like forcing it to use gluconeogenesis to convert protein into glucose, talk about a chronic stressor!).
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    It's not protein, it's the composition of amino acids in the protein that is commonly consumed on a paleo diet. Tryptophan, methionine, and cysteine are all consumed in abundance.

Gelatin has no tryptophan, and very small amounts of methionine and cysteine. Of course one can't just get all of their protein from gelatin, so it should be balanced out with consuming your muscle meats with gelatin. I personally get moderate protein with most coming from dairy or gelatin, with some beef from time to time.

Paleo dieters just think "OH MEAT PRIMAL EAT" without thinking of how inflammatory it actually is. I know someone that goes through 2 packages of bacon a day. Pork has the highest concentration of arachidonic acid, which is very, very inflammatory.
    I'm impressed. You are very well-read and intelligent.

Paleo dieters eat far too much phosphate-rich muscle meat. When you eat lots of muscle meat and vegetables, you do a lot of things:

1.) You throw your calcium : phosphate ratio out of whack. You can break this up by eating gelatin-rich bone-in cuts of meat (as mentioned), or you could consume more dairy and eggs in lieu of slabs of muscle.

2.) Low-carb diets are stressful and promote aging. Your body WANTS to take the easiest method of creating energy. When you are constantly in a state of gluconeogenesis from lack of carbohydrate consumption, you are constantly in a state of stress. Low-carbers have high levels of adrenaline (a major stressor), high levels of cortisol (a stressor) and low levels of CO2 (meaning your mitochondria are less robust and do not respire well). Eat more sugar and starch, less fat and less phosphate-rich protein sources (slabs of muscle meat).

Essentially, since your brain runs on glucose, you are putting your body in a constant state of starvation regardless of calorie intake. You can go through small stints of low carbohydrate dieting - quick, brief levels of stress strengthen you - but to do it for weeks, months or years is devastating to your body. You're going to look old and haggard like an Inuit.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-14-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    There is nothing like 33/33/33 for health and feel. You get EVERYTHING your body wants, which means less stress and slower aging because it doesn't have to convert an overabundance of stuff it doesn't need into something it does need (like forcing it to use gluconeogenesis to convert protein into glucose, talk about a chronic stressor!).
    Hmm, I maintain my body on 4000 kcal right now, so according to your macro setup I should get whopping 330 gram of protein instead of “only” 200 gram as I eat now??? I thought I was pretty high on proteins but nothing compared to your recommendations…

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Hmm, I maintain my body on 4000 kcal right now, so according to your macro setup I should get whopping 330 gram of protein instead of “only” 200 gram as I eat now??? I thought I was pretty high on proteins but nothing compared to your recommendations…
    It depends on your activity level. Most people don't have that high of a caloric intake, so you're constantly massively overeating (which has problems in and of itself). No, you shouldn't have that high of a protein intake. For the average somewhat sedentary person, I'd probably recommend a 1:1 protein:carb intake, meaning 1g of carbohydrate consumed to every gram of protein. For someone very active, 1.5-2g. For you, you'd probably want 2g of carbohydrate or more on average for every gram of protein consumed to limit stress. Also, since carbs are indirectly stored as body fat rather than directly stored (like dietary fat), if you're trying to gain lean mass, you'd probably be better off overconsuming carbohydrate than fat. Upping fats a whole lot would probably lead to a lousy body composition.

At least that's what I'd do.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast