Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking visibly aged now, more than expected. page 3

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    i would bet on the swing shifts you work more than anything...lack of quality sleep does me in.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Longevity is overrated. I want to feel all the awesomeness I can now, and drop dead when the time comes.
    But I have to ask myself, if I'm not going to have kids until I'm almost forty, is it wise to spend all my youth now? Have I traded longevity for an awesome mid-life? Is all the extra protein messing with my organs, blood pressure, and other functions?
    This is funny.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the first post was awhile ago. I've been thinking. Hell, look at Choco's posts if you want to watch a person evolve.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the first post was awhile ago. I've been thinking. Hell, look at Choco's posts if you want to watch a person evolve.
    Your not allowed to change your mind on anything ever!!!! Illegal!

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    In spite of how good I generally feel, the lines on my face are getting deeper faster than seems normal. Could just be that I'm not a puffy balloon anymore, or the sun I've seen. At 28, I looked 25. But now at 30 I look 35. I've been doing Primal about three years now. I can't help but wonder if it's the excess protein? It's not just my imagination, people have been overguessing my age lately. Now that I've rebuilt my body and restored my health, I'm wondering if it's time to go higher-starch instead of glycating protein every day. I've ridden the ketosis train, and I'll ride it again. Heck, I might even be able to get away with cutting protein in half and not changing anything else. I just don't want to ruin the feel-good energy and stable mood I generally have these days. I mean, I FEEL awesome and perform physical labor really well. I've had gains on bike rides lately and nothing is really wrong - except my face! Even when my skin is clear I just look a little - haggard, stressed, something is off. And my eyes like to get bloodshot now and then, I still can't figure that out. But I have to ask myself, if I'm not going to have kids until I'm almost forty, is it wise to spend all my youth now? Have I traded longevity for an awesome mid-life? Is all the extra protein messing with my organs, blood pressure, and other functions?
    Are you eating primarily grass fed or grain fed meat? Grain fed meats will have a much higher pro-inflammatory fatty acid composition plus a lack of antioxidants compared to grass fed.

Just a thought. I also like the idea that you are unbalanced: too much animal protein/not enough plant matter.

Stress has aged me. I used to look 10 years under my true age. Always. In the past 10 years I feel like I have aged 20 years regardless of my diet (marital stress and stress of raising Autistic child). Find some ways to reduce stress if it is a factor.

Assuming you don't smoke.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    If you have lost some weight and staying permanently low on carbs that may be the reason. Two main reason for this: Hormonal and also lack of glycogen/water in the face muscles. If I were you I would tried to go high on carbs and proteins and lower on fat for a couple of weeks. Also try out supplementing with creatine, 5 – 10 gram per day…

Shalimar is offline Member
    Wait til you have kids, that's what ages people the most! You ain't seen nuthin' yet.

I'd second the swing shifts stress, need for skin moisturizer, and effects of weight loss as the culprits. And if you use the moisturizer, use it every morning and night.

First place I lose weight is in my face. But if you take care of your skin, makes it more elastic and it gets better. I religiously use skin cream when I diet.
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Before anything else, I'd get off the night shifts. People who work nights tend to experience significant health effects, and the shift cycling is even worse because you can't get a regular schedule settled ever. Then I'd deal with some of the life stress stuff. After that, yeah, try the moisturizing (with CO or whatever), and then look at your diet. But I'm pretty sure normalizing your sleep will help a lot.

And yeah, being super lean can make some people look older, and having a little more roundness in the face tends to plump out the wrinkles a bit.

However, I don't buy the whole "paleo people always look old!" argument. We've been doing this for a couple of years now, and people still think we're both about 10 years younger than our chronological ages.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    When people commented on my weight loss at a party last weekend, and I told them about primal living, a doctor friend came up to me later and said for me to start religiously with the anti-wrinkle cream because looking old was a side effect of all that protein. I told him I was not over doing the protein but I would appreciate him gifting me some 3Lab cream, ya know, since it's Christmas.

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So can someone provide some good links for this whole protein -> wrinkles stuff?

Because spontaneous googling seemed like its exactly the opposite.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast