Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking visibly aged now, more than expected. page 16

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There are a million products that you can put on the skin (lotions, masks, gels, etc.) that will hydrate and plump the skin and therefore temporarily reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles. However... the ONLY way to actually reduce them is to increase the turnover on skin cells, like when we were younger. To do this exfoliation is necessary, either chemical or mechanical.

Chemical is cheaper in some ways... and can be gentle.
    Mechanical (done right) requires very fine particles and a larger expense up front usually.

One of the best chemical exfoliants is Lactic Acid.
    It's not as gnarly as the glycolics, and therefore harder to burn yourself with at home... but you can still get good results.
    Plus it's cheap... if you know where to buy it. (Hint: not from silly face shops by the .3 oz)
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Knife, after 2 days of eating lots of sweet potatoes I find myself can't look at them 'til next week
    Listen to your gut, vary the diet with fruits.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    ITT: fat people talking about actually lean people like its something bad, fucking ridiculous.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Skincare junkie here, not reading all 16 pages of comments, but here we go:

1) Everyone has to choose a little body fat vs. some wrinkles. Unless you'd like to opt for a face full of fillers. Not a good look on anyone, and especially not on a man.

2) Eschewing sunscreen is plain STUPID. Telling fair skinned people to soak up as much unprotected sun exposure as possible is irresponsible. Mark looks great with a tan. My ginger ass had a skin cancer scare at the tender age of 24, and I've never been tan. Wear the frickin' sunscreen. (I have a little chuckle whenever a dark skinned friend complains about *gasp* getting a sunburn...)

3) Skincare routine. Gotta do it. Gentle periodic exfoliation, mild cleansing, sunscreen, moisture barrier of your choice, a good topical Vit C (philosophy makes an absolutely amazing one, cheap on Amazon), and something a little richer around the eye area, but never the eyelid. Skincare takes less time than your morning poo. Do it.

4) I'm assuming that since you're Primal, you are indeed getting enough sleep. Sleep deprivation and out of whack circadian rhythms are skin's number one enemy.

5) Obviously, genetics are a factor, but not necessarily your skin's ultimate fate.

For the record, I find mid-30's aged men hot as hell. And there's always the beard option. Nothing wrong with a little maturity/beard-action on a man's face, ifyaknowwhatimsayin'...
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post

One of the best chemical exfoliants is Lactic Acid.
    It's not as gnarly as the glycolics, and therefore harder to burn yourself with at home... but you can still get good results.
    Plus it's cheap... if you know where to buy it. (Hint: not from silly face shops by the .3 oz)
    Where do you buy it? I had some expensive exfoliant and the label said "with lactic acid". I wanted to recreate it because it appeared to be just rice flour with the magic LA and some essential oils.

stoney56 is offline Member
    You know, without pictures, this thread is kind of sucky. I want examples.

I, on the other hand, look exactly my age, so I don't need to provide a picture.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Where do you buy it? I had some expensive exfoliant and the label said "with lactic acid". I wanted to recreate it because it appeared to be just rice flour with the magic LA and some essential oils.
    I was talking about lactic acid to do peels with ... I buy 88% lactic acid then dilute it.
    Amazon.com... buy it from the beer making suppliers 5oz for about $10 instead of more like a tiny little kit with .5oz for $20+

There are numerous tutorials for doing at home lactic acid peels on youtube or blogs by googling.
    All you need is the Lactic Acid. I dilute mine by half to make it 44%, or 1/3 to make it 66%, because 88% is REALLY strong and you have to use it a while to get your skin up to handling that strength.

Also you need baking soda in water to neutralize the peel when you are done.
    Application is with a fan brush, approx 1 in, so that you don't drip it.
    A good acid peel doesn't really cause all of your skin to peel off like the serious ones they do in the plastic surgery centers. I would never try to do that.
    It just helps your skin cells turn over quicker.
    Also... baking soda in water to neutralize the acid when the time is up...

The same lactic acid could be used for other things... you'd just need to be good at the math I suppose. And need to know the pH of the other ingredients so that you'd know how they are going to affect the final outcome...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Yes, pictures would be awesome. Maybe a "guess my age" thread. I'm too chicken though, I just want to see everyone else!

I used to always look much younger than I was, however lately no one seems shocked that I'm married with my oldest child now 9 years old. I have to take this as a sign that I'm now looking my age. Lucky for me though, my husbands says I look exactly like I did at 19. Gotta love him for that whether it is true or not!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for the info Cori. The product I have probably has just the tiniest pinch of LA in it.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bananas/lower fat not working out. Mega bloated and feeling weird. Back to high-fat!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast