Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking visibly aged now, more than expected. page 14

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I am 31 and recently somebody knocked on my door asking "Is your mommy home?", trying to sign somebody up to a charity. When I said I am a tenant in this house he still seemed confused and said I had to be over 25 anyway to sign up (implying I looked younger).
    The OP may have to look into what is causing his "ageing", and I guess shift work won't help indeed, as others have suggested, but for me personally living primally has made me look younger than I am (FWIW I only ate VLC for a month or so, I quite happily eat plenty of potatoes now). I still have some issues to sort out such as dark spots under my eyes after a bad night's sleep (I started moisturizing), but all in all this lifestyle has been a transformation for me.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    for me personally living primally has made me look younger than I am (FWIW I only ate VLC for a month or so, I quite happily eat plenty of potatoes now).
    I don't think anyone is saying that Primal is aging, but I suspect low carb is. UNLESS low carb is specifically advantageous to you metabolically (due to issues like diabetes, epilepsy etc.)

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Low-carb dropped the body fat and feels great. My joints are totally normal now, etc. BUT I was living on grains before, and have not honestly given long-term moderate carb Primal a shot. I'm going to aim for 33/33/33 for awhile and see how it goes. As of today, I'm extremely bloated from the bananas. I look about 15 pounds heavier, all on my distended abdomen. I expect I'll always be bloated and uncomfortable eating more carbs, but I'll give it at least a few weeks to see if I can't adapt.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Comma is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure this has been brought up, but maybe you just don't digest fructose well. How about upping on the rice or sweet potatoes?

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    A great short article with some tips and remedies on how to deal with dry, aging skin. Thanks to Glen Lalonde, of the Toronto Paleo Facebook group:

Home Remedies for Facial Wrinkles
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Well, contemplating this I've come to the conclusion that its hard to do anything that is outside of the cultural norm without blaming it when some mishap (or perceived mishap) occurs.

I was reading another board where a keto dieter (male and middleaged) fell and broke his arm. Fairly straight forward right? The first think he asks is has the past 4 years of keto made me more likely to break bones (cause nobody who eats carbs can break an arm right)? No indications of loss in bone mass or any other objective findings to support such a view.....except that his diet is different than most. I think it lingers in the back of the mind of anyone doing anything just a bit different from those around them. Even if you have ample historical and physiological evidence to back it up.

Just my thought. I'm not saying that its the case everytime, but there is definitely a psychological affect.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-17-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Low-carb dropped the body fat and feels great. My joints are totally normal now, etc. BUT I was living on grains before, and have not honestly given long-term moderate carb Primal a shot. I'm going to aim for 33/33/33 for awhile and see how it goes. As of today, I'm extremely bloated from the bananas. I look about 15 pounds heavier, all on my distended abdomen. I expect I'll always be bloated and uncomfortable eating more carbs, but I'll give it at least a few weeks to see if I can't adapt.
    If your going to go moderate carb I'd recommend the PHD (Perfect Health Diet) book. They make a fine case for it, but still rely on majority of calories as fat based on their research. I believe you would end up at 50f/30c/20p on a plan like theirs, but its really worth the read if your going that route.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    If your going to go moderate carb I'd recommend the PHD (Perfect Health Diet) book. They make a fine case for it, but still rely on majority of calories as fat based on their research. I believe you would end up at 50f/30c/20p on a plan like theirs, but its really worth the read if your going that route.
    I would second this. Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life Lots of great info!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life That guy is easily 40 pounds overweight. No thanks. I can tweak things Mark style.

Sweet potatoes just gave me a giant diarrhea (sorry, been dying to put it that way!), so I'm laying off of them for awhile. Eventually I'll try to reincorporate them, I was able to digest them just a month or so ago, so I think my gut just needs a slight reminder.

I'm sure this has been brought up, but maybe you just don't digest fructose well. How about upping on the rice or sweet potatoes?
    Not to be defiant, I'm totally taking this all into consideration. White rice would just be odd. I fear it will make me fat. :ROLLEYES: No, really, I'm conditioned against carbs in general now. Simple sugars are on the menu, but this will take some time.

Well, contemplating this I've come to the conclusion that its hard to do anything that is outside of the cultural norm without blaming it when some mishap (or perceived mishap) occurs.

I was reading another board where a keto dieter (male and middleaged) fell and broke his arm. Fairly straight forward right? The first think he asks is has the past 4 years of keto made me more likely to break bones (cause nobody who eats carbs can break an arm right)? No indications of loss in bone mass or any other objective findings to support such a view.....except that his diet is different than most. I think it lingers in the back of the mind of anyone doing anything just a bit different from those around them. Even if you have ample historical and physiological evidence to back it up.

Just my thought. I'm not saying that its the case everytime, but there is definitely a psychological affect.
    While it could be stress alone, I recall just recently looking younger when eating lots of dandelion and drinking green tea, before I increased my protein. It is probably just some sort of residual effect lingering in my skin from metabolizing meat, I don't know.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 12-17-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Mark style is more like 60/20/20 and without much starch then . PHD is basically where all this "safe starch" stuff got started. Its paleo+ safe starch approach. If your interested in the progenitors of the "we need some starch" theory anyhow........and I don't disagree. He does look a bit puffy. But he's puffy without wrinkles! Coincidence?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-17-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast