Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Scotland; going primal in the new year..Advice? page 2

Lycan is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes please, I live in the Aberdeen area of Scotland but any advice on where to source good meats from would be a bonus. Will be checking with the local butchers today as well and see the pricing in the meanwhile. And thank you again guys, I love seafood so I think mackerel, salmon and tuna will be a staple for me as is sweet potatoes, broccoli, spinach, nuts and berries.

lol @ grassfed fish
    Weight:164.12lbs (74.6kgs);Bf:17%
    Bench Press:163lbs 1RM; Squat:223lbs 1RM: Deadlift:262lbs 1RM

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Check this out:

Paleo Directory - Primal Britain

I'm down in Edinburgh and buy the vast majority of my meat from Findlays butchers - all grassfed and local (though not organic), but it's pretty close to where I live so I make a weekly Saturday morning visit. I can also recommend Griersons (the best ribeye steak I've tasted in my entire life) and Peelham pork is amazing. But I daresay you'll be able to find more local suppliers.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
    Yes please, I live in the Aberdeen area of Scotland
    Your Store
    Rose veal, farm cheeses, yogurt & if you ask at the right time, sometimes even cream (also turkey for Christmas, this is where im getting mine) They also usually have bacon from Ingrams (sp?) (which is out by Foveran ) and sometimes wild game

My Fav Butcher. The Store Company :: our farm, our passion - your lifestyle :: Home (Foveran, we make a trip out to stock up every 6 weeks or so) They do a gluten free beef & bacon sausage now (You can thank me for that one , I special ordered it enough they started making it regularly) & will do special order on request if you ask nicely (I usually order several kg of pork sausage/nothing added & 20/80 beef mince instead of buying the reg sausages &/ mince)

Bridgefoot farm delivers organic fruit/veg boxes Home - Bridgefoot Organic Farm

Theres a Sunday Farmers stand in Cove bay-local produce & fresh eggs from his own chickens (open Most Sundays 10-3. Old Cove in the fields at the south end)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Bubsy_brown is offline Junior Member
    Hello my friend!!

I am Garvin, 28 and from Ireland (and its so cold). You are very welcome to the Primal world. Primal living is modern day society is the business. I have being following the "Worlds oldest diet" for 3 months. Lately I have changed my training to support optimal health and wellness. Coming from a boxing and Athletic back ground I have made adjustments to my training to avoid "Conic cardio" (You will pick up all the terms and condition as you read about the Paleo/Primal lifestyle) Anyways, you will be very surprised about the quality of meats and fish we have in this part of the world. When I became aware of "grass fed" and "organic" and "Free range", I was surprised about how much great food was around my area.Take advantage of your what your area has to offer. Get on the venison, seafood, grass fed meats....Start talking to farmers!!! Get the nutrition sorted first and the training results will come naturally....Keep in touch!!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
    I wanted to try this in the new year.
    As others have said, start now. I will no doubt have Christmas Pudding and Christmas Cake, along with too much wine etc, but it only takes a small decision to get back on the wagon. When we were on our summer holidays, I ate some non primal fish & chips. I'm still alive and lost 2lbs in weight over the fortnight we were away.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Tod
    Tod is offline Junior Member
    Welcome Lycan,
    Organic/grass fed beef is best, non organic grain fed beef is still better than cake. Do what you can and strive to improve each day. is my best answer.
    Tod

Lycan is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much guys for the links and all the advice, its greatly appreciated. I have officially started eating primal as of today, will look at the local butchers as well as the above links and see about weekly and monthly boxes for fruit, veg and meat I am hoping the book will arrive today and I can read in more detail as well.
    Weight:164.12lbs (74.6kgs);Bf:17%
    Bench Press:163lbs 1RM; Squat:223lbs 1RM: Deadlift:262lbs 1RM

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lycan, Hope you have fun! I think it can be easier here than in the US from what I have read, because we have all the traditional meat-fat-veg based dishes. turnips & kale, cullen skink etc.

What are your farmers markets like? I was in Dundee today and bought loads of eggs from the man at the market. And a super burger & salad from the hot stand!

Of course grass fed is good, wild is even better. Wild from an untamed wilderness is even better but we have to compromise... do your best and no-one will be able to criticise you for doing better.

Scottishlady is offline Junior Member
    Another advocating starting straight away.

Good luck

leoyaus is offline Junior Member
    haggis!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast